00-1.4L Petrol-Ignition Barrel - damoc
Hi,
First time poster here. I own a 2000 Toyota Corrolla 1.4 petrol hatchback. ( Like this one www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index...r&carID=887757 ). Its only got 50,000miles on it.

Anyway, this is my problem. When I turn the key to start the engine, I get to the stage where the lights come on on the dash but the enigne just won't start/"click in". I leave it for a second or two then try again and 90% of the time it'll start then. I never have to try more than 3 times. The puzzling thing is if I drive around for a while, park the car for a few hours and try again it will start straight away without any problems

I brought it to a mechanic 2 weeks who said that the key barrel needs replacing. Its going to cost ?400 ($550/£300) and I need to tell him by Thursday.

I would appreciate your advice. I've checked a few sites and there are mixed reports..

www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...blems/.....3rd post, first paragragh

answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0121810AAlfnB3

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/01/2008 at 16:42

Toyota Corolla-2000-1.4L Petrol-Ignition Barrel - Screwloose

Does the key turn to the start position or jam where it is?

If it turns without effect, this could just be a starter brush problem.

Proper testing is the only sure way to tell.
Toyota Corolla-2000-1.4L Petrol-Ignition Barrel - damoc
No the doesn't jam or do anything out the ordinary. I turn it to the end and when I realise that the engine isn't going to start I just let it go
Toyota Corolla-2000-1.4L Petrol-Ignition Barrel - Screwloose
damoc

Then you need to know if voltage appears on the terminal that excites the starter. [Possibly black/white wire?]

Yes - it's likely the starter. No - it's likely the switch.
Toyota Corolla-2000-1.4L Petrol-Ignition Barrel - Saltrampen
Had a worn key barrel on a 94 toyota corolla - Toyota replaced it for £90 back in 2005.
However they said if I wanted one with the same key that opens the door and rest of the car, it would have cost double that (special order). So although I saved money I had two keys - one to open doors/boot etc the other for ignition.