General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - rickla13
This maybe a simple question to most of you, but can anyone detail the basic pros and cons of choosing a diesel vs a petrol or vice versa?

I have always been a petrol guy - but a recent hire car experience has caused me to reassess this stance!

Obviously I am well aware of the economy advantage of a diesel, which can often be offset by the higher prices diesel models seem to achieve compared to their petrol equivalents. But, are there any other common factors to take into consideration such as reliability, difference in service/maintenace costs (particulate filters etc.) that one should take into account?

Thanks for all the help/advice

Rick

PS I am trying to choose between a (secondhand - about £7k - £10k to spend) Mazda5, VW Touran, and a Peugeot 307 SW - all would suit, but in order to afford a VW or Mazda, I may have to go for a petrol, and I am wondering about the hidden cost implications.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - barney100
I changed from petrol to diesel a few years ago mainly because I can drive a larger more comfortable car for the approximate mpg of a small hatchback on petrol. I've no timing belt to replace and no ignition system although glow plugs can restore the balance on that one. Performance is adequate with a turbo and once on the move it is reasonably quiet so all in all I am satisfied.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - drivewell
I purchased my first diesel family car in 1993, and have never used a petrol car as my main vehicle since. The driving characteristics of a diesel (low down torque, as opposed to out and out acceleration) match the way I like to drive.

Economy - still the case that a diesel will use 25-35% less fuel than an equivalent petrol engine in the same car used in the same way.

Tax - lower CO2 emissions mean diesel is presently favoured by UK fiscal policy.

Reliability - until the advent of common-rail, it was generally (but not universally) the case that a diesel engine was less likely to break down than a petrol. This was primarily due to the absence of spark ignition, and also an inherently more simple fuelling system.
However recent posts on this site would suggest that some of the more modern diesel engines are beginning to show definite problem areas. Must confess I had less trouble in the past from old lumps like the PSA XUD (used by Citroen / Peugeot up until around 1998/1999) than I have had more recently from their common rail replacements.

Purchase cost / resale value - yes, most diesels will cost more than their equivalent petrol version, but this premium is recoverable when you come to sell on. Note, the higher residual is rarely factored in when folks talk of having to do 15 - 20 - 25 K / annum to justify diesel.

You've probaly opened a 'Pandora's Box' type thread - everyone has their own opinion, and when it comes to petrol v. diesel, those opinions can be strong!

Edited by drivewell on 22/01/2008 at 11:16

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - prm72
Yes i too have driven diesels for years, currently a vectra c 03 2.0dti, 121k never gone wrong and runs like a dream, but this is the last of the old style diesel and i will have to change it soonish, Unfortunately because of the complexities of common rail, and the mind blowing cost of repairs on these somewhat unreliable units i will probably go back to petrol and put up with a 15 mpg drop, shame. I guess to get the low end torquey feeling i'll have to go automatic as well.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - *Gongfarmer*
OK I'll rise to the bait, I've had both in the past, and at any change of car I would consider both, but we have 2 petrols at the moment.
I prefer an engine with a broad rev band as it suits my local (rural, hilly, winding) roads better.
Better value for money, you get a much newer and/or lower milage car pound for pound, or I would need to pay to borrow a lot more money to buy a comparable diesel vehicle.
Simplicity of the petrol engine and technology I can easily understand, as noted above the latest euro compliant diesels are frighteningly complicated, almost certainly less reliable than their diesel predecessors and easy to damage by misfuelling.
Diesels offer the biggest fuel consumption advantage in short, cold start and urban driving, which we don't tend to do. Long journeys on a warm offer a far lesser advantage, on a fuel that costs 6-7% more that petrol.
With many people switching to diesels as a reaction againt rising prices, I predict that the difference between secondhand Diesels and Petrols will continue to widen.
Faced with the need to buy a small family estate car a few weeks ago I bought a 2 year old 20K, Mitsubishi 1.6 petrol for £5K. The only diesels around of that age and price were way, way past the 100K mark, so to me it was an easy decision.

Edited by *Gongfarmer* on 22/01/2008 at 12:01

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - oilrag
We have run a succession of Diesels since 91. Some concerns regarding common rail but won`t buy petrol unless personally affected by a big expense because of it.

Because of fears of previous owners mis-fueling we tend to buy new cheapish small diesel vehicles and keep long term. ( We both have a philosophy that that we only need seats and a roof not comfort or prestige in a car)

Our long distance tour vehicle is accordingly a Punto van (for the `boot` space) with the 1.3 Multijet diesel engine.
We save a lot of money on fuel getting between 65/78 MPG on runs. That`s been our way of offsetting fuel price increases.

I would really recommend running a diesel for fuel saving but IMHO its not as evident if you buy a big heavy car and then use the power heavily.

I also think cold (multi) stop start running is a diesels forte and often overlooked.

Regards

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - a900ss
Benefits of a diesel are really only for higher mileage drivers and people who tow in my opinion.

My S-Max has averaged 44MPG over the past 33,000 miels and since the fuel increases I've slowed a little (to about 65 MPH) on motorway and am now getting very high 40's MPG brim-brim. I am fairly sure no petrol S-Max could get those economy figures and as a 40k a year driver who pays for his own fuel, that counts a lot.

Edited by a900ss (S-Max) on 22/01/2008 at 13:11

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - smokescreen
They seem to be more problematic since Euro 4 standards onwards, with the particulate filters causing trouble for many.

I was almost going to buy a petrol car instead of a diesel till I noticed a good chunk of the problems arrised from Euro4+ engines, and instead settled for a Euro3 HDi 110.

Dont get me wrong, the PSA HDi still has the occasional issue and isnt immune by any means, but I think its a serious case of the screaming minority given the volume of HDi engines in existance. I lose count how many taxi drivers around here use the HDi themselves.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - mike hannon
I think diesels flatter to deceive by producing power in the way they do - ie, everything low down the rev range. It's a bit like early Japanese hi-fi amplifiers that appeared very powerful but ran out of puff and into distortion above about four on a 10-segment volume control.
A few months ago I drove a friend's new Freelander 2.2 diesel and I have to say it felt very powerful at low speed but I had to keep rowing it up and down the six (why six if if it's a torquey diesel?) gears to keep it pulling.
It's everyone to their own but if ultimate economy isn't everything why use fuel that needs gloves to handle and makes everyone else's shoes filthy and smelly if they are unfortunate enough to have to share the area round the same pump?
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - GandA
There are a few things to consider. Purchase price - Diesels are more expensive than petrol variants but this is partly offset by better residual values. Fuel cost - diesel is generally around 5% more expensive than petrol but can give up to 40%+ better mpg. My old VTEC Honda would return about 29 - 32 mpg with the type of driving that I do. I have recently bought a 2.2 diesel Avensis which is giving a regular 45 mpg. Performance - modern petrol engines give loads of bhp/kw/ps but at the top end of the rev band, i.e. 5000rpm upwards. Diesel engines provide similar bhp/kw/ps but at much lower engine speed, i.e. 3500 rpm. For the all important 40 - 70 mph dash for overtaking you also need loads of torque. This is where a diesel excels. My Avensis develops max torque at just 2000 rpm and hold it through to around 3500 rpm. No need to change gear, just put your foot down and go. Nothing will catch you. Partly because they won't be able to see through the cloud of smoke you have just left behind !! Seriously though. I have been a petrol fan all my life but this diesel has changed my mind. Some folks raise reliability problems with common rail diesels. Look through some guide mags like Parker's or What Car for some independent comment.
Cheers

Graham G
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - drivewell
However recent posts on this site would suggest that some of the more modern diesel
engines are beginning to show definite problem areas. Must confess I had less trouble in
the past from old lumps like the PSA XUD (used by Citroen / Peugeot up
until around 1998/1999) than I have had more recently from their common rail replacements.

PostScript Tuesday, 5pm. Just picked my Mondeo TDCi up from dealership (where it was having oil leak fixed under warranty (two day job). On collection, I asked what work had been carried out. Answer?......Replaced fuel pump. A £600 + labour solution to a relatively small oil leak. Just glad it was warranty work!!
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Hamsafar
If you like larger cars, I think diesel is best overall >2.5 litres, especially with automatic transmission.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Altea Ego
Dont buy the Petrol Touran. With the aerodynamics of a barn door, and the weight of a diving bell, the petrol struggles on performance and economy.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Pendlebury
All very interesting posts and no right or wrong as it is really down to individual choice.
I don't really do the mileage to warrant the additional outlay and re-curring expense of a diesel but I have had a number of diesel cars on hire lately and have to say I continue to be disappointed.
The cars on hire were a combination of Renault and VAG diesels and (all new 57 plates) I thought the refinement was very poor on all of them.
Also I found it difficult to judge nipping out of T junctions and also overtaking because of the turbo lag. I had a Golf diesel with dsg box in Switzeralnd and thought that was the worst of all.
I found it difficult to drive without the progressive acceleration you get from a petrol and now I am back in the petrol Accord it feels so much more comfortable and refined.
I have also had concerns about diesel emmissions for a long time although that will be addressed in the next EURO V legislation.
To be honest I do get confused when people think that even modern diesels are refined but I suppose that is relative to older diesels - having said that if the Scooby diesel is as good as they say then I may consider a switch - but until then I think the refinement of a petrol is my preffered option - especially with my low mileage.

Edited by Pendlebury on 22/01/2008 at 19:11

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - TrevL
Personal choice really, everyone has their own views as listed here. I had diesels for twenty years and changed on the increased complexity issues of new diesels. My last VW diesel(old style simple type) is still running around locally with 200k plus on the clock and has had nothing done to it apart from oil/filter changes and timing belts. I bought a petrol Fiat 1.4 16v and got 44mpg vs 52mpg (diesel) but petrol vehicle purchase price was much lower and when I traded in (for another petrol vehicle) my depreciation was acceptable (did get a good price to start with). My own choice is still based on the new diesels becoming increasingly complex engines and I'm currently sold on chain cam petrol models.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - gordonbennet
Its definately not as clear cut as say even 5 years ago.

I've been using diesels since about '84 i think, and they have changed out of all proportion.

I really believe the best days of diesel engines from working man as owners point of view was around late eighties to early 2000's.

The engines and fuel systems were generally simple and robust, and if you wanted some oomph you bought the turbo versions, and mildly increased the fueling (30 sec job on the bosch pump) and had a lovely economical vehicle with stacks of torque from very low rpm.

If buying a normal car now, i really don't know which i'd choose, i always have automatics, and IMO a good diesel is such a perfect engine to have with a proper auto box.

Trouble is some manufacturers seem to want you to only have either a 6 speed manual (for petes sake why) or one of those helltronic automated manuals if you want the most powerful diesel option.

I also dont like the extremely short power band with some new diesels.

The reliability issue is another thing, and reading some of the posts, it doesnt seem to be getting better, or at least if things do go wrong, the costs can be awful.

Sorry i sound so negative about diesel now, but its such a minefield, and making the wrong choice can be very expensive.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Cardew
If buying a normal car now i really don't know which i'd choose i always
have automatics and IMO a good diesel is such a perfect engine to have with
a proper auto box.

A couple of posts in this thread along the same lines.

I really cannot understand the logic of that statement.

Firstly a 'proper auto box' on a diesel plays havoc with fuel consumption - which is why many manufacturers avoided them. I think HJ said that on the BMW 5 series the slush box gave 25% less mpg than the manual. Some good explanations for this were in the technical forum - all that torque causing slippage etc.

So a major advantage of a diesel is largely negated.

The second advantage of a diesel is their 'lazy' nature - no stirring of the gearbox required - pulls at low revs etc

Surely with an autobox, be it petrol or diesel, the differing charachteristics of the engine are masked by the gearbox, so diesel has no advantage over petrol?

Firstly a 'proper auto box' on a diesel plays havoc with fuel consumption - which
is why many manufacturers avoided them. I think HJ said that on the BMW 5
series the slush box gave 25% less mpg than the manual.

snipquote - this is enough to see who you're replying to

Agree with the statement about fuel consumption, but whether i chose petrol or diesel it would be a proper auto, so the diesel would still be more economical, but economy isn't always the overriding factor in choosing diesel anyway, i like the way some diesel engines perform, with instant and constant power but i can do it the lazy way and let the ultra smooth box give me the pleasure of continuous acceleration.

As for diesels pulling strongly at low revs, this is what i meant, its not now always the case, many of the new diesels are appaling at pulling away and below the torque curve which seems on many to be about 1800 to 2000 rpm are hopeless, then once the blower spools up, whoosh away we go with passengers in the car doing the heavy metal head banging impression as the thing lurches up the road (alright a small exaggeration), and then the same problem stirring around 6 blessed gears negotiating roundabouts etc...no thanks.

Now give a high torque diesel (with a variable vane turbo) a good proper auto, and see how easy the heaviest traffic and most demanding terrain can be driven, but easily.

As i said before, its not an easy or simple decision anymore, and each maker has their own strengths.

On a personal note if we could have had the hilux with the 2.7 V6 petrol thats only available as a grey we would have and had it lpg'd. Nothing wrong with the diesel (yet) but i would have preferred the simplicity of the petrol (just realised by lpg'ing it would have become as complicated as the diesel oops).

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2008 at 18:48

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Cardew
Now give a high torque diesel (with a variable vane turbo) a good proper auto
and see how easy the heaviest traffic and most demanding terrain can be driven but
easily.

I have obviously not made my point clear.

A "good proper auto" is just that, and will be equally smooth with a diesel or petrol engine.

The diesel charachteristics are masked by the slush box.

Sorry Cardew i disagree the diesel characteristics will not be masked if the diesel engine is of a good design, the petrol auto will have a progressively increasing power output as it goes up the rev band, whereas the diesel will be very constant with nowhere near the amount of revving to make similar powered progress.

Have you driven a merc E320 diesel and felt the astonishing and instant power delivery, without raising revs to any uncomfortable level it will progress up through the gears without let up, whereas a petrol equivalent IMO will be capable of making as good or faster progress but it will be using much higher revs to equal the diesel delivery, unless of course you are going into very high capacity engines.

I think the power is more instant with a well sorted diesel, and the auto box only helps the diesel to deliver this smoothly.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Avant
Many of us who do high mileages like diesels as much for their low-down torque as for their economy: if you do long distances it's important to be able to relax while driving, and having to keep the revs up to get the most out of your engine can be fun, but not all the time.

I have a Golf 2.0 TDI estate which gives me ample performance where I need it - I do about 20,000 miles a year.. But if I did fewer miles, I'd have gone for something with the 197bhp 2.0 FSI petrol engine (Audi A4 Avant if I could afford it, Skoda Octavia vRS if I couldn't) - this has bags of torque, as do some other petrol engines if you look hard for them.

The Mazda 5 could be a good bet - I think both petrol and diesel are quite lively if you go for the 2.0. Probably more reliable than the 307 and livelier than the Touran.

Edited by Avant on 22/01/2008 at 22:22

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - cattleman6
If you do a large mileage (lots of long motorway runs) get diesel. If you do mainly town driving buy a petrol. I notice most city driving taxi drivers in Dublin prefer petrol. Constant short stop start city runs are definitely bad for a diesel car. I have had a diesel car for years and I love it with it's mid range torque and incredible economy.I love it on the motorway.Doesn't have to rev as high as a petrol when cruising at speed.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - mattbod
I run a Diesel and love the more relaxed performance. HOWEVER I am getting increasingly concerned with the escalation in the price of Diesel fuel compared to Petrol (why is this?).Also all Diesel injection systems whether they be Common Rail or VW TDI Unit Injectors are hideously expensive to fix if they go wrong.

I think therefore that when I come to replace it (it is a Skoda Fabia VRS) I will go back to Petrol. An Octavia with the New 180 BHP 1.8T FSI engine sounds good. This will do 40 MPG on a run compared to the 20 TDI's 55 odd. This engine is good because you get the shove of a Diesel low down thaks to the Turbo but it will rev as well. Another excellent engine is the 1.4 Twincharge engine in the Golf and Touran but it seems overly compicated to me.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - DP
I've just been calculating my costs as part of a general re-jig and reassessment of finances, and worked out that if I swapped my 45 mpg diesel for a 35 mpg petrol, based on the miles covered last year, I would have to find a few pence under £85 extra each month for fuel costs, even allowing for a 5p per litre price difference in favour of petrol.

As the car spends a lot of time in stop/start conditions or idling in traffic, I suspect most Mondeo sized petrols would struggle to make 35 mpg in all honesty.

£85 a month is a significant amount of money. The gas and electricity bill paid each month. A chunk towards the council tax. Road tax and insurance paid twice over in a year... Or if you want to be pessimistic, enough to spend a grand on repairs every year that wouldn't be needed on a petrol engine before you were out of pocket. Although I accept that cr diesels are cripplingly expensive when they do fail, I also believe most don't give any trouble. This is borne out from talking to the fleet manager at my previous employer who runs a fleet of over 200 cars, half of which are cr diesel, and most of which do their 100k/3yr stints with either total reliability, or silly little non diesel specific faults (electrical faults, coolant leaks etc)

For 20k+ PA and in a family sized car, diesel is a no brainer IMO

The "missing" 1500-2000 RPM off the top end of the rev range is of absolutely no concern to me on my commute or when carting the kids about, and the effortless punch on tap when driving normally is preferable in any case. The Mondeo's old school TD engine is tolerable to drive, but sips fuel and is utterly reliable (my main criteria) and from inside the car, the Scenic's common rail diesel is quieter and smoother than a lot of petrol engines I've experienced. It may die and bankrupt us, but the odds are that it probably won't. In any case, an engine management fault on a petrol engine can easily rack up a four figure bill. You just pay yer money and take your chances. Literally.

At the moment, diesel walks it for me. If 10-15k falls off my annual mileage, I'll reconsider.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 22/01/2008 at 23:52

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - madf
We have run diesels for 15 years with the odd petrol.
As Oilrag says, diesels are unbeatable for short journeys.

And £35 VED is not to be ignored.

Maintenance? low.

Exhausts last years.

Much less stressful in slow moving traffic due to the torque.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - PhilW
"re-curring expense of a diesel"

What are these "re-curring expenses" ? Having run Cit diesels for over 20 years (about 500k miles) I have never had anything done to an engine except routine cambelt, oil changes and 6 glowplugs - and a couple of those engines did over 150k miles.
Re-curring expenses as in you have to buy the stuff on a re-curring basis and it's dearer than petrol - unless you've managed to find a way of running a diesel engine without putting any in :-)
If you do circa 20K a year then it may pay on the long run but if you do average mileage then it pays to stick with petrol - especially as you can get 100-120 bhp out of modern 1.4-1.6 petrol engine.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Xileno {P}
We won't be having another diesel. Although I have no complaints about our Renault dCi, it doesn't make sense at less than 10K a year. So it's a petrol Renault next, probably the new Laguna or might wait another year for the new Megane. Or I might break the long habit of buying Renaults and get another VW.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - XantKing
Interesting that many of the replies here make the presumption that it all comes down to economics.

If cost was the main factor in buying cars, we'd all be haring around in poverty spec Chevy Matiz's or Ford Ka's or whatever the larger equivalent might be for those with more passengers. And there'd be no supercars or anything else impractical.

I'm probably on the cusp of annual mileage that makes a diesel financially more sensible than a petrol, but a mate of mine has just bought a diesel C4, and he's lucky if he does 3,000 miles a year!

I just like the way they drive, the lazy power delivery is far more attractive to me than any ability to rev beyond 5,000rpm.

And there's also the argument that it's perhaps worth paying a wee bit more financially if it means using less of a finite resource like oil.

Just a thought! If someone is genuinely undecided between petrol and diesel versions of the same model, and the economics of the decision are not hugely important, then the best advice is to simply drive both and see which you prefer.

Edited by XantKing on 23/01/2008 at 22:37

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - nortones2
Most of the "economic" argument is just to bolster up prior stances. There have been one or two salient comments about depreciation, but most of the argument against diesel for average mileage use is made without calculating the full cost. The only true measure of cost is a calculation expressed in pence per mile over say 3 years, including initial cost, depreciation, fuel and servicing. If an owner likes or dislikes diesel, the economic argument may not be as relevant, as XantKing says!
"Re-curring expenses as in you have to buy the stuff on a re-curring basis and it's dearer than petrol - unless you've managed to find a way of running a diesel engine without putting any in :-)"
Oh I get it now, pay £1.08 a litre for diesel and get 50 mpg or pay £1.02 for petrol and get 30 mpg.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - peterb
I just can't stand the noise that diesels make....
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - craig-pd130
Over the past 5 years and 62K miles, my Passat 130 has averaged 46.5mpg. That's real brim-to-brim measurements, not from the trip computer.

Show me a petrol-powered 1.4 tonne family barge that will get anywhere near that. Also as it's a company car, it saves me a small fortune in tax.

Also the idea of a "narrow rev band" is misleading. Yes, the REV range is narrow, but the SPEED range is wide because diesels have long gearing.

The Passat produces real usable power from 1500 to over 4000rpm. In 4th gear, that's strong, seamless pull from 30mph to 80mph+, with no need to change down for A- and B-road overtaking or hills.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Snakey
I had 6 cars last year - four petrol and 2 diesel.

I prefer diesel on a longer commute, not just because of the economy but the relaxed pull of the engines at motorway speeds.

Shorter town based journeys I would prefer a petrol for the nippy nature of petrol engines.

At the moment I have a 50/50 split of motorway/town commuting and I have a diesel!

Downside of diesel - slower off the mark, takes ages to warm up (cold car on a winter morning!) and more expensive fuel.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Roly93
I prefer diesel on a longer commute not just because of the economy but the
relaxed pull of the engines at motorway speeds.
Shorter town based journeys I would prefer a petrol for the nippy nature of petrol
engines.
At the moment I have a 50/50 split of motorway/town commuting and I have a
diesel!

I've been reading this thread with much curiosity, but I think that what was said above is a pretty fair judgement of the situation. I have a 2 litre diesel, and tend to be doing much less mileage than I used to making it borderline economically to have a diesel. My experience is that if I spend a coupld of weeks only driving around town, I get hacked off by my diesel. However the next time I doo a 100 mile + motorway trip, I love it again !

As someone else has also said, its not just about economics. Sometimes when I drive an average petrol car like my wifes Focus 1.6, I get the feeling that it is 'broken' because of the lack of torque !
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - 659FBE
Craig has elegantly explained the advantage of the diesel's low speed torque rather better than I did in another thread. The speed range magnification with longer gearing is the reason why a diesel behaves quite differently from a petrol engine used in a lower gear to increase its torque. Put a heavy trailer on the back and all is revealed.

As far as warm up time is concerned, to some extent the diesel is a victim of its own thermal efficiency. Some VAG engines have additional glowplugs in the coolant circuit which are powered up (when alternator demand permits) when needed. My Skoda Superb will blow warm air after about one mile of driving at 30 mph in 4th gear. After 2 miles it's hot.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Mad Maxy
My BMW 320d pulls strongly in a linerar fashion all the way to 4000 rpm (red line at 4250) but I miss the ability to waft along at low revs with plenty of torque on tap in response to minimal pressure on the accelerator. Thus this modern diesel has many of the characteristics of a petrol engine.

I suppose it is pretty economical. It's roughly the same power (170 bhp) as my MINI Cooper S, but does 42-48 mpg as opposed to 32-35 (and it's dragging a heavier car around).

Sometimes, though, I feel the engine is a bit of a lump and I'd prefer a petrol.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - craig-pd130
Not driven a 320d, is there less low-end 'grunt' compared to other diesels?

320d in our family didn't have all that much grunt until the turbo failed at 45k (unusual that i hear someone say?), whilst they had it in, BM also changed the troublesome inlet manifold, the cat and something else the memory of which evades me (all warranty).

Since then, its had that lovely turbo whistle (which it didn't have before) from very low revs and pulls like a train (which it didn't do before), and very economical.

Its a compact, and personally i hate the ride quality, in fact i don't really have man breasts, but i can assure you i'm aware of them driving that even on the A14, luckily i only drive it once in a blue, mind you it goes like a scalded cat, and handles very well.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - movilogo
Constant short stop start city runs are definitely bad for a diesel car

What is the technical reason behind this?
I though such short trips are bad for any car - incl. petrol ones.

Not driven a 320d is there less low-end 'grunt' compared to other diesels?

>>Well I've not a huge experience of diesels but certainly less low-down grunt than a VAG PD.

GordonBennet has got me thinking. My 320d pulls well but I'm not sure I'd put it in the 'scalded cat' or 'rocket' categories. Maybe I should have my friendly BMW dealer check it out. (Should I foresee 'They're all like that, sir'?)
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - piggy
I`m with J.Clarkson on this one.Diesel fuel is the devil`s own blood. It`fine for lorries and tractors. Personally,I love the sound of a petrol engine reving happily to 6-7 thousand RPM.
Mad Maxy, i have for many years gone by the way a car sounds giving a fairly good idea of how its running (i'm no mechanic only a kerbside cowboy).

The 320 in question never had that lovely almost imperceptible turbo whistle before it was changed (i wonder if they altered the settings whilst it was in?). Its a 51 plate E46 by the way.

Funny thing that sound on a diesel, its been my experience that a turbo diesel that doesnt have that gentle whistle always seems to be running weak and out of breath, its the midway 1500rpm sort of revs i'm talking about.

I used to notice the sounds on trucks i've driven over the years, a cummins with no whistle wouldn't pull, one running properly the turbo was the main noise supplier, similar my old landcruiser and that was almost impossible to stall, unbelievable torque.

I think the most dramatic example i've seen of this was when i had a 306 td, when i bought it there was no sound from the turbo, and the thing wouldn't pull your hat off, i richened the bosch pump just quarter a turn and the vehicle was instantly transformed into a very powerful performer, with turbo whistle and loads of torque from about 1400 rpm (2000 before), alright i know you sometimes have to fiddle about with the settings to prevent black smoke, but you get my drift.

Those days are now gone, cant do anything to them and if you do youre probably breaking some law.

Maybe a good old fashioned diesel specialist could breathe a bit more fire into it for you.
Thanks, GB. No 'turbo whistle', as there was in my Golf Mk IV GT TDI 110. The BM is an E91 almost exactly one year old.
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Group B
i richened the bosch pump just quarter a turn
and the vehicle was instantly transformed into a very powerful performer

Thats what a tuning box does. If you have a proper remap, trailored to your particular engine, you may get the same result without loads of black smoke.

Those days are now gone cant do anything to them and if you do youre
probably breaking some law.

Tuning boxes and rolling road remaps are v. big business nowadays. They are not illegal you just have to remember to tell your insurance company.

;o)
Tuning boxes and rolling road remaps are v. big business nowadays.

Still reckon it was cheaper and easier to give the bosch pump a quarter turn, usually didn't even disturb the seal so no warranty probs either.

Not as if i could afford or even want a new car then, which leads us neatly to a recurring thread, can we dare take the risk of a euro 4 or 5 diesel out of warranty?
>>Oh I get it now, pay £1.08 a litre for diesel and get 50 mpg or pay £1.02 for petrol and get 30 mpg.<<

Clearly you must have struggled with your cse level maths Phil !

Edited by Pendlebury on 24/01/2008 at 18:54

"Clearly you must have struggled with your cse level maths Phil !"

How did you know! It was "O" level in those days (not sure that CSE even existed) - I was in bottom set and got a Grade 3 (pass grades went from 1 to 6 I think) - boy was I proud! Credit not to me but to an inspired Maths teacher called Willmut - (father of the Prof Ian Willmut who cloned Dolly the sheep) - brilliant bloke when dealing with lazy thickos like me!

Well that's done me then Phil cos you got a better grade than me.

I thought it was either CSE and they had numerical gradings or GCE which had Alpha grades.

I was trying to find some ppm quotes for a petrol and diesel car of the same model to make my point about re-curring costs - but drew a blank - 15 love to you mate.
What Car, Auto Express are 2 sources re ppm: how reliable I know not.

Edited by nortones2 on 24/01/2008 at 20:25

"Auto Express source re ppm: how reliable I know not. "

Oops, never realised - and I get Autoexpress each week!
For my Berlingo 1.6 HDi, ppm is 39, 1.6 petrol is 42, but "aim to pay" price for mine is £9,905, petrol is £9,484, residual after 3 yrs is 39% diesel, 38% petrol. Co2 diesel 143 tax % 18, petrol is 177/22. Petrol higher max speed and quicker 0-60 (though I don't think those are primary concerns of Berlingo owners!) MPG quoted as 38 for petrol, 52 for diesel
Those who got a decent maths grade can work out finer points!

Can't look up any others - needed a magnifying glass to read figures!

All right don't rub it in mate - I think the ppm costs include all the depreciation etc so you got me proper. :-)
"All right don't rub it in mate "

Can't even remember what we were arguing about! (or even whether we were arguing!)
;-)
Instead I will raise another glass!
Cheers!
PhilW: I'm with you on the magnifying glass! End result seems to be there is actually very little difference at the assumed 12,000 miles per annum. Some makes may vary from this: they do not all charge extra for diesel. There is no golden rule.
"I thought it was either CSE and they had numerical gradings or GCE which had Alpha grades"
I probably pre-date that - took my O levels in 1964 (ish!)
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Red Baron
I have a choice of Mondeo TDCi or Alfa 147.

Guess which one I drive to work (30 miles each way, 20 on motorway).

The diesel would save me £1.40 in fuel each day.
The diesel is possibly quieter.
The diesel looks like a rep-mobile and is a bit of a barge to drive. Best to avoid high revs as its not a pleasant noise.

The Alfa is fun to drive and there aren't millions of them.
The engine is already pulling 4000rpm doing 80 in 5th, but if you're going to have some engine noise then at least make it a beautiful one!

In the Alfa I can also get to work with fewer gear changes.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - smoothandrefined
Look guys this debate will always divide. I drive both and can see the benefits of both. Please diesel owners stop talking about performance is you want performance drive PETROL.If you want economy go for DIESEL. If you look on the PARKERS website you will be staggered by how long it takes to break even if you buy a diesel as opposed to petrol it can take up to 11 years! in some cases. A diesel engine is, and always will be noiser, less refined and have a slower top speed than a petrol, all diesel owners ever talk about is mid range torque, they never talk about the fact that a petrol of similar size will always rev faster due to the design of the engine and the richer refined fuel. Developments in engine technology have impoved their refinement and economy of diesels but the downside is if anything does go wrong it cost a small countries GDP to fix my best friends ( 2001 MERCEDES E CLASS ELEGANCE TURBO DIESEL ESTATE) cost £3000 to replace turbo after 80K). Everyone also omits to mention that the new petrol engine technology is superb take HONDA vtec, TOYOTA valvematic, VW tsi, and the new MULTIAIR technology being developed by FIAT. I went to drive the new Suzuki Splash which my sister was going to buy the 1.2 petrol was so superior to 1.3 Diesel it was amazing, lighter, swifter handled better and had had the refinement you only get with petrol. I have to drive diesel cars and vans at work nearly every day, and I am sorry "Dieselheads" I can't wait to get back into my Honda Accord 2.0i vtec its like another world. I am just not interested is saving about £1 a day in fuel costs this is just my opinion, even though most of what Jeremy Clarkson comes out can be total garbage I have to agree with him on this one. For the average everyday motorist I believe petrol is the choice. By the way also drove the new Honda JAZZ 1.4 vtec what an engine, powerful and so quiet I thought it had stalled its fuel economy is superb also. So thats it guys make up your own mind, but drive some new petrol cars and do a true costing and remember we were told that there would be no petrol cars in 10 years time. it didnt happen. and never will, (until the oil runs out) but then again there will be no diesels either!
General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - sandy56
I have never bought a diesel in 35 yrs of driving- my current car is a 2.5v6 Mondeo and it is smooth quiet and fast. My mpg is about 30mpg and I use the outside lane when there is one. This is all down to personal preference, I would rather have the space and power than pay a LOT more to maybe save a few pence each day on fuel.
I would buy a diesel but there is too many stories about the pitfalls of newish diesels.
Petrol for me.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Biodiesel Trainer

You also have the added advantage of running biodiesel in most diesel cars especially TDI engines. I currently run my Discovery on 100% biofuel (B100) for just 32p per litre.

(Link removed - no free advertising.)

Edited by Avant on 23/05/2014 at 13:13

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Steveieb

One thing to remember when choosing is that diesel is unlikely to ignite in a major crash unlike petrol.

Good enough reason to choose the diesel?

Also my experience with the VW 1.6 TDI make me long for the sheer low end grunt we enjoyed with the 1.9 PD engine.

Heard from so many owners that find it dfficult not to stall the 1.6 TDI on low revs.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Avant

And paradoxically the 2.0 TSI petrol engine in my Octavia vRS has lots of low-end grunt - just as much as the diesel I had before.

I agree that there are still plenty of petrol engines which aren't strong on torque, but there seem to be more and more which are.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - HandCart

>>>"One thing to remember when choosing is that diesel is unlikely to ignite in a major crash unlike petrol.

>>>Good enough reason to choose the diesel?"

Er, not really, not on its own: Where possible, I try to avoid frequent major crashes.

But you never know when one might happen…

…quite so, but if that attitude becomes an overriding factor, then no-one would ever even consider owning a Fiesta or Yaris, say: Everyone would have to save up for a second-hand Maybach or Paramount Group Marauder. ;-)

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - slkfanboy

About 5yrs ago next door car had an electrical fault. The car was diesel and according to the fire brigade smouldered for 4 hours before the paint cough fire. At which point it set the petrol car on fire next to it. Within about 15min the petrol car exploded which woke everyone in time, before the house caught fire. Happy and lucky ending

It’s quite common for cars not to have a fuses on the starter motor and an electrical fault can in some cases cause a fire.

Draw your own conclusions

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - HandCart

Or a fire started by birds nesting under the bonnet, as I've just heard on Radio 2 !

Seems we should all check under our bonnets each day at this time of year!

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - focussed

Diesel here in France is currently about £1.05 per litre at the current exchange rate.

Sans Plomb 95 (equivalent to UL 95) is about £1.25 per litre.

Why would I want to drive a petrol engined car?

75-80% of cars are diesel fuelled here.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Ed V

Because diesel emissions are much more dangerous to our health than petrol.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - Bromptonaut

Because diesel emissions are much more dangerous to our health than petrol.

Are you sure about that. Work on petrol PM's is still ongoing.

General pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol - derv321

Dont think so - petrol has more PM1 which are 10% of the size of PM10 so go deeper into your lungs. Also diesel doesnt have benzene - unsafe in any dose and a known carcinogen. Isnt Carbon Monoxide mainly petrol gas Oh and I switched to petrol after 20DERV years thanks to DPF's and shorter journeys - now avoiding deep breaths when filling up with the dirty smelly 95ROn Unleaded stuff. Thought electric cars then remembered electric comes from the likes of Chernobyl and Fukushima - not healhy either :-)

Edited by derv321 on 24/06/2014 at 23:32