1998 1.9 TDi with Autobox - reliable? - AlfistiMatt
I am currently looking for a fuel efficient tank to haul me about.

These cars seem like a great deal, have seen one with an auto gearbox, anything to worry about on these?

Clutches/Auto Box/Suspension? are they all hardy?

Also does the Auto box really sap 9-10mpg from the fuel economy? :O

Edited by Webmaster on 20/01/2008 at 22:50

1998 Audi 1.9 TDI with Autobox - reliable? - 659FBE
A high torque diesel engine mated to an old tech auto box is very bad news for efficiency. In a realistic running regime, all of the advantages of the diesel are negated by the torque convertor slip. The 10 mpg fuel penalty is probably realistic for a car used in town. This is why VAG have developed the DSG transmission so that maximum advantage may be derived from their diesel engines.

The front suspension on the A4 cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called "hardy". It's a lunatic assembly of multi ball joints and over stressed rubber bushes held together with unplated bolts placed directly in the firing line of all the muck from the front tyres. A 1998 A4 with worn front suspension will be a challenge to dismantle.

1998 Audi 1.9 TDI with Autobox - reliable? - adverse camber
A 1998 A4 with worn front suspension will be a challenge to dismantle.

Nah! After all you will be dismantling some of it every year to replace the arms. You soon get used to it. Agree the pinch bolts can be tricky - hint dont break the main arm like I did trying to get a bent pinch bolt out.

Far cheaper to get the whole lot from vagparts or similar in one go than keep buying the individual bits. When replacing the top arms only tighten with the wheel/hub in normal position rather than dangling, otherwise the bush will be knackered again in no time.
1998 Audi 1.9 TDI with Autobox - reliable? - Dulwich Estate
I had a 1997 1.8 petrol auto A4. The fuel consumption was awful - the very best about 29 mpg on a really long run and around town it very occasionally got as good as 20 mpg but usually it was around 18 - 19.

I regretted buying it and when the (made by Renault - apparently!) auto box failed (at 4 years and about 45000 miles) by mixing water with the oil it cost well over 1k for a recon box that was never right anyway. I sold it asap and got a petrol multitronic which was way, way better in every respect. I sold that before it went wrong and now have a diesel multitronic auto box combination which for me is ideal.

Hope it doesn't go wrong though.
1998 Audi 1.9 TDI with Autobox - reliable? - AlfistiMatt
Thanks all, sufficiently put off.

Looking at alternatives now :D