You urge- you pay - 2cents
A man has died and four people have been injured in a car crash on the M6 motorway which has resulted in heavy traffic delays.
The northbound carriageway was closed between junctions six (Spaghetti) and seven (Great Barr) after a car crashed into a works van in the early hours.

One lane of the M6 has since reopened but police said the other two lanes would be closed through the rush hour.

Motorists are being urged to use the M6 Toll road instead.

I urge motorists to use every other road available and deny the toll company a nice pay day out of some one else's misery.
You urge- you pay - Ben 10
I agree.I also think the DOT or police should make them suspend the toll until the situation eases.
You urge- you pay - Nsar
Why?
You urge- you pay - Alby Back
Like it or not the M6 toll is a business. If you choose to use its product you pay. The current rate for a one way journey in a car is still less than the price of a gallon of fuel or an hours pay on the minimum wage. If you value your time at that rate or higher just pay up and get on with it. Why is it their fault that someone crashed on another road ?
You urge- you pay - DP
Well it'll keep the chief executive of the operating company happy. He was quoted in an Australian newspaper as saying they needed to slow down the M6 to address the ongoing poor usage figures.

It's a route for the wealthy, or people on company expenses basically. Few other people can justify the cost.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 16/01/2008 at 09:44

When Sainstescoasda can't sell enough of their baked beans, they reduce the price. When the toll road is being under used, they jack up the price and switch on all those ' M6 delay " signs just before the toll road starts. Of course 9 times out of ten, if you ignore the misleading signs and plow on down the M6 , you find it devoid of delays.

I already pay to use the roads via my road fund licence and the tax on my derv. I even pay tax on the insurance I am obliged to have to use my car on the road.

You urge- you pay - Altea Ego
Oh here we go

The old "they tell lies about delays to aid the toll road company" conspiricy.

What a load of old bovine merde
Seen it with my own eyes on many occasions. Why have the delay sign on when there are no delays ?
You urge- you pay - Altea Ego
Well because they have (choose your theory)

a: orders from Lizard central to do it (the David Iyke theory)
b: the man controlling the signs is taking 1 cent from every pound at the toll booth
c: the manager at norton caines services has tapped into the signs comms network.

Maybe because ( and I use it a fair bit) there is ALWAYS jams on the M6 (non toll) during peak hours.

You urge- you pay - Big Bad Dave
The delays on the M6 were the main reason I left the country.

It is easier and quicker and cheaper sometimes to fly Warsaw to Manchester to visit my parents than to sit on the M6 for 11 hours on a Friday evening from London.

It is always blocked.

Edited by Big Bad Dave on 16/01/2008 at 10:06

You urge- you pay - james86
Probably for the same reason that there are hundreds of other motorway signs showing out of date messages. "Debris in road", "slow - queue ahead", "40", etc. None of them are ever true. But they're not doing it on purpose. I can't quite see it being a conspiracy by the government & M6 toll owners to get people on the toll road.

Also - to the poster who wants to police to "make" the toll company remove the charge for the day. While it would be a nice gesture for the company to remove the toll, it's entirely up to them - what does it have to do with the government? The law of this country does not allow the government to "make" a private company do anything they don't want to do. That's the whole point of free enterprise and commerce.
You urge- you pay - daveyjp
"The law of this country does not allow the government to "make" a private company do anything they don't want to do. "

Northern Rock?

Agree with others - operators are slow at turning warnings off as I've experienced on most of the UKs motorways.
You urge- you pay - james86
>>Northern Rock?

Fair point, but you know what I mean! Short of being nationalised the M6 Toll is pretty much free to do what they like

Yes, the motorway matrix signs are advisory unless they have a red circle around them. From memory the red circle matrix signs are quite rare (M42, M25 west section spring to mind as the only two).
You urge- you pay - Ben 10
Not for the day. Just to ease congestion as a goodwill gesture.
A few years back now, when hand held speed cameras where begining to make their debut, Cheshire police where suspected by many motorists and one of the larger motoring organisations, of switching on the 50 mph matrix signs along a stretch of the M56 between Runcorn and the Hapford services and leaving them on for a couple of hours at a time, then targeting all those who hadn't observed them. Time and time again, questions where asked as to why the limit was being imposed when conditions for 70 mph where in order ( no breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather, heavy traffic flows ) . I remember a national newspaper getting involved and the practise suddenly stopped. Don't talk to me about conspiracies- the motorist is seen as the number one enemy in this country and a cash cow to be milked until the udder falls off.

Edited by 2cents on 16/01/2008 at 10:07

You urge- you pay - commerdriver
I always believed the matrix signs were advisory, apart from the ones in red circles.
You urge- you pay - nortones2
Don't be sensible commer - it spoils the story:)
Have they always been advisory ?
You urge- you pay - Bromptonaut
Have they always been advisory ?

Ever since they superceded the orange "wig wags".
Found this on a motorway advice site
'Q. Are the speed limits on matrix signs obligatory?

A. The speed limit signs on these boards are normally advisory but they would be put there for a reason. If you ignore them and are caught doing so, you could possibly be committing an offence of driving without due care and attention or, depending on the circumstances, dangerous driving. '

Ties in with my knowledge of the Cheshire Police operation on the M56. I know that drivers where ticketed so it may well have been with the above offences rather than actual speeding. Still leaves a very big question in so much as was this a deliberate trap ?
You urge- you pay - Bromptonaut
I always thought due care or dangerous driving charges followed an accident. Drivers claiming to be ticketed in the circs stated are the same ones who claim they got a ticket for 31 in a thirty.
You urge- you pay - Pugugly {P}
Hand held lasers on a Motorway ?
Hand held radar then...what ever it was they used 10 years ago. I didn't say this happened yesterday.
You urge- you pay - Pugugly {P}
Yes sorry my mistake I knew it was after I posted and didn't edit !