Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - legacylad
The two rear tyres on my Mazda 626 2.0 petrol were getting worn, so as I had a new (purchased by previous owner 2007) Pilot Primacy spare I decided to buy another so as to have a decent set of new rears. My local tyre dealer gave me a written quotation for one of these...I said yes...I paid & picked up last night in the pouring rain and dark, but today I saw he had fitted a Michelin 'Energy'.
Obviously a different tread pattern and not as per the written quotation. Is it worth bothering him to change it as per my original requirement, or am I just being pedantic? I have looked at the Michelin website and am unsure as to what action I should take, if any...
Should I say nothing?...incidentally, on my front tyres one is an unbranded H speed rated, the other a Michelin Pilot HX V rated...both have plenty of tread so should I leave as they are?
Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - ijws15
You won't get a Pilot Primacy now, My Honda came on them and had several replacements fitted until....
Two years ago I had a puncture and the replacement "to match" was a Primacy HP - Pilot Primacy no longer available in the size and now no longer listed on the web-site.

You might want to check how old the Pilot Primacy is since they were discontinued in early 06.
Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - Peter D
I have experienced this tyre problem. You can depending on the size still get the Pilot asymmetric tread tyre but I had to do some shopping around, and even spoke with the Michelin warehouse who confirmed they still has some limited stock and sizes, mine was a 205/55/W 16 and it cost £85 inclusive. They are not made anymore and Michelin do not recommend mixing there with any other tyre pattern due to reports of the tyres wrestling with each other at speed. I had the spare fitted on the rear which was not a Pilot and at 70 plus the back of the car did wag a bit. When I traced a supplier and had the tyre changed to a proper Pilot it was fine again. Mytres.co.uk where also able to obtain one but the delivery from their German warehouse put them out of the frame in terms of time. but the price was OK. From memory ATS wanted £116 for one. Regards Peter
Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - Bill Payer
Energy is an "eco" tyre - low rolling resistance. It should last longer than the Primacy HP but in theory will have less grip.
Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - John S
I've just had the problem of matching Pilot Primacy tyres on my Astra. The ones I wanted (205/50 VR16) are not now available. I've now got Pilot Exalto on the front (the rears were hardly worn so I didn't put bother putting the new ones on the back). Might be worth checking the availability of the Exalto. Got them from e-tyres. No connection, just satisfied customer.

JS

Edited by John S on 16/01/2008 at 22:35

My 'problem' is that my brand new spare, the Pilot Primacy as purchased in April 07, is now sharing the same rear axle as the newly purchased Michelin 'Energy', a practice which the manufacturer does not recommend. The tyre dealer promised to fit a matching Pilot Primacy and has not done so. I could have got one elsewhere, albeit for a few pounds more and less convenience.
I do not see why I should have to spend £77 on another Michelin 'Energy' and relegate the new Primacy back to being a spare again.If they quoted me for a Primacy then that is what they should have fitted. If they could not get one then they should have informed me before fitting an alternative.
I am in disgruntled mode!
Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - ijws15
I ran a Pilot Premacy and a Premacy HP on the front for around 20k and never noticed the difference. Might be worth asking him to swop it.

The first HP did 45 k on the front - unbelievable!
Just a final update on this thread.

I sent an email to Michelin who replied very promptly to say it was not ideal to have two different tread patterns sharing the same axle, albeit 'Primacy' and 'Energy'. Having spoken on the phone to both them (very helpful they were too) and the tyre dealer today, I have decided to buy another three Michelin 'Energy' E3A @ £60 + vat each so I now have a complete new set of tyres, with the new Pilot Primacy relegated (again) to my spare. The front two tyres were also an odd mix, and it may just be me, but I was not happy driving around with a different tyre at each corner, albeit with plenty of tread.
When it comes to tyres, my bangernomics motoring ethic takes a bit of a back seat.
Thanks for all your replies...stay dry, its wet out there.
Back to my tax return..............

Michelin tyres - Pilot Primacy or Energy? - b308
Good luck with the Michelin Energy - I had two of them on the old Fabia as I got a better deal than the Conti Ecos that were standard fit - they were absolutely useless in the wet and I couldn't wait to get rid - when they went they still had about 5mm tread! They were replaced with the latest version of the Conti Ecos and normal grip was resumed....