Engine types - Grease_monkey
Just something that has got me thinking since i've picked up my new golf. Had a golf before then changed to fiesta zetec s now changed back to a golf and the engine in this one feels stronger and more up for it. The engine in my last golf was a BKC and the engine in this one is a BXE if i remember correctly. What are the difference between these engines there is also a BLS too which are all 1.9 77KW pumpe duse engines. Are they mechanically the same, same seals gaskets etc.

Simon
Engine types - bimmer-driver
I've often wondered what the differences are. My Ibizas got a BNV engines code, but they also did a BMS engine code and all sorts. I think it could be summat to do with emmisions standards maybe?
Engine types - PoloGirl
Don't know about engine types but there was a fault with some Golfs (including mine, which is an 06 reg) which meant the ECU had to be remapped.

Mine was done at it's 19000 mile service and was a different car afterwards. Much more 'up for it' as you describe.
Engine types - Grease_monkey
Mine has not visited a main dealer yet for it's first service. It tell me that i've got 4400 till it wants a service (with ignition on but engine off press and hold the 0.0 button) It will be going on time/distance servicing too as i don't do the distance to benefit from the varible servicing. I've got to chase the well known car hypermarkets service department and question them what oil do they use on PD golfs as they changed the engine oil but did not tick longlife box. Just want to make sure they've used the correct stuff or i'll have to take it and get it changed as i plan too keep this car for some considerable time.
Engine types - Pugugly {P}
Owning two VAG cars now, one diesel and one pterol, I find this servicing thing very confusing with VAG cars, where you've got to read off and decipher codes from the handbook. The GTi will be serviced on the 12 months anniversary (Mrs P's mileage has been a lot less than anticipated this year due to an semi-permanent "posting". The Skoda (I think I've figured this out) is also on a annual service regime. This should be easier !
Engine types - Tornadorot
VAG engine codes can be completely different for very similar versions of essentially the same engine. A change of code can often reflect various tweaks resulting in minor changes to power output and emissions.