Twitchy steering - Cheeky
The steering on this car has become fidgety and twitchy, particularly round town - motorways not nearly as noticeable. 26000 miles only, set of 4 Pirellis and tracking done 2000 miles ago. All was well then. Haven't hit any major bumps or pot holes. Just trying to work out if it is suspension wear or alignment issues before the Jag warranty runs out!

Edited by Cheeky on 12/01/2008 at 22:01

Twitchy steering - Hamsafar
Could be a badly done alignment (unlikely), or worn components which allow the tracking to pull out when under driving forces, or sometimes ultra high performance with square profiles cause this in comparison to comfort/touring tyres.
Twitchy steering - cheddar
Hi Cheeky,

Tracking done 2000 miles ago, have you looked at the tyres, are they wearing on one edge, could be that the tracking has been set wrongly. If the steering feels light then it might be too much toe-in which would wear the outside edge of one or both fronts.

On another matter did you say that you might sell this car? after a ski trip or something.

I would like to know more details?

Regards.
Twitchy steering - Cheeky
Thanks for the replies, I'll check it out. This has only started happening recently, so perhaps something has gone out of alignment. Will have it checked if it gets worse or at the next service before the warranty expires!

No intention to sell at the moment Cheddar, and no ski trip for me at the mo -- but thanks for your interest. This is an X Type estate, and I can honestly say it is a great car. If you're interested in them, I would not hesitate to recommend.
Twitchy steering - cheddar
Must be muddling you with someone else!
Twitchy steering - injection doc
whenever mine has got twitchy its alway's been tyres. tracking needs to be spot on.1 degree makes a big difference so find somewhere good at tracking.
Doc