95 1.9d non-turbo gritty g/change & temp gauge. - killie
Hi
Have recently bought a 1995 1.9D Avantage ZX non-Turbo
have had a few Citroens but never one of these.

The car did not come with the owners handbook. I was going to do an oil & filter change and was wondering if the engine & gearbox oil were combined ? If their not is it easy enough to drain the gearbox oil and refill it ?

The reason I ask is the Gears seem a Little sticky when engaging they don't crunch
just feel a bit gritty.

Another question sorry about the long post.. The temperature gauge never seems to travel to far up the scale goes about half way towards the middle of the gauge The heater seems to blow plenty of hot air so I hope the gauge is at the correct position. thanks for any advice
Regards
Ian.H

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 09/01/2008 at 09:09

Citroen ZX - RichardW
Engine and gear box oil separate.

Gear box oil not bad to change - as long as you get a bottle with a flexi neck to refill the box with. Trouble is, these boxes really seem to like the proper Citroen / Peugeot oil, and that comes in bottles without a flexi filler. The box will almost certainly benefit from an oil change. Make sure you identify the drain plug properly - it's on the bottom rear of the diff casing - there is another bolt on the bottom of the box that looks tempting, but this is the reverse idler clamp bolt, and removing that is bad news. The filler / leverl plug is on the end casing behind the LH wheel - located at about 4 o'clock it's a different size to all the other bolts (18 or 19mm) you need a slim spanner / socket to get on it though. Box takes just under 2 litres.

Temp should get up to 80°C 0 if below this then it probably needs a new stat - they seem to start running at about 70 when they need a new one (got one like that...!)
Citroen ZX - DP
A general tip - make sure you can get the filler plug undone before touching the drain plug.

It sounds obvious, but.....

cheers
DP
Citroen ZX - killie
Hi
Thanks for the Info
will try and source the correct oil from Citroen before attempting the oil change on the gearbox
Was driving this morning and noticed the temp go up to just below the half way mark
this is slightly more than it did when I picked the car up last Sunday.
The car had been standing since the middle of December. So I'm wondering if the system was a bit blocked up ?

However will source a new thermostat to be on the safe side. Got a couple of instrument lights out are they easy to replace ?

Once again apologies for all the questions..
Regards
Ian.H

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 09/01/2008 at 10:35