(98-04) water in rear footwell - ljjt
Hi,

About 2 months ago I noticed the rear passenger footwell was sodden wet. Over xmas with the cold etc this has taken a while to dry out. Ive looked under the car no visible holes, no visible leakage from within vehicle. Got in car tonight noticed the area is very wet again after heavy showers. Everywhere else is bone dry except the carpet in the rear passenger footwell and this has caused slight wetness in front passenger footwell. Any ideas pls?? Im fairly sure its coming from under vehicle somehow

Thanks,

LJJT

Edited by Webmaster on 14/01/2008 at 23:02

water in rear footwell - adverse camber
lift the carpet AND the soundproofing in the FRONT passenger footwell.

Sounds like the usual pollen filter leak.

It can look like its a rear leak - but thats because of the shape of the floorpan.

And do it now becausae if its like the audi and the passat there is a small (but expensive) computer unit on the passenger footwell that gets flooded.

do a search on 'footwell' and pollen filter on this forum - you'll findplenty of references
water in rear footwell - ljjt
Hi, thanks for the info, I had mot the other day and it passed, I got them to check out pollen filter and they said it was all fine. Ive tried lifting out the carpet in front, how do I remove this soundproofing? also if they said the pollen filter is ok could it be anything else? Thanks for help so far,

LJJT
water in rear footwell - PhilW
Have you got a sunroof?
Have you checked the polythene liner behind door panels?
Door seals OK?
Most leaks seem to come from above rather than under?

water in rear footwell - Hamsafar
How did they check the pollen filter housing seals?
It's not really something you can just 'check' without ruining them anyway.
You just need to remove the housing and replace the seals and use a polyurethane sealant. They would charge about £50 for this.
water in rear footwell - ljjt
Hi, thanks for the replies, ive got a bit more info now, spoke to guy at garage, he said pollen filter area was bone dry, but lots of leaves etc in there potentially bloking drainage holes or something? have finally managed to lift up carpet and soundproofing in front passenger footwell and it does seem the water is coming through a hole there, so i guess the pollen filter seal is the problem or could it be this blockage of leaves? if it is the pollen filter seal do I just replace with a new pollen filter?

thanks again,

LJJT
water in rear footwell - kirklander73
Try this, open the bonnet and look at the passenger side area up by the plastic strip that runs allong the wind screen.
at the far right you will see 4 screws holding a plastic panel in place this is the access for the filter (sorry if you allready knew that!!) you will notice a long strip of rubber running along the bulk head of the engine bay, lift it and ensure that the lip of the access panel is held under the lip of the rubber strip.
also look at where the 4 screws hold the panel in place.
the access panel is sometimes pushed under the big plastic strip that runs across the bottom of the windshield-if it is then this is incorrect, it must be secured outside that windscreen strip with the screws not under it as is sometimes the case.
it happend to me.
hope this is clear enough-quite hard to derscribe-easy to show.
water in rear footwell - Rich320d
Sometimes on MkIV Golfs, water can leak in from behind the door trim panels, coming from inside the door, instead of going out through the drain holes in the door bottom.

Behind the door trim on each door is a metal panel bolted to the door frame, this holds the window motor and cables, locks etc. This has a rubber and foam seal around the edge, sometimes this gets damaged or starts leaking, just need resealing around the bottom edge with some butyl rubber sealant.

Similar arrrangement on many VW group cars, including Mk1 Skoda Fabias, which got a reputation for leaking rear door panels, causing wet footwells.

water in rear footwell - pd
I would echo Rich320d's comments. There is a plastic membrame inside the door which frequently fails on Golfs and Boras (and some Toledos).

Basically, water runs down the window and what gets past the window rubber flows directly into the car rather than down inside the door and out the bottom.
water in rear footwell - alloypony1

Hi there is a video on an r32 on youtube that shows how to do this.

I had the same problem with my r32 and he showed how to lift the carpet and where the water was getting in and how to fix it. Check it out.

Just type in golf mk4 water leak.

There are other vids on there for mk5 mk6 mk7.

Cant beat the mk4 though. I love mine. Had it 12 years.