Good second-hand buy? - normd2
Looking for a replacement for the old Previa and have come across a tidy 1998 2.2 Sintra. I've read HJ's comments but does anyone have experience of actually owning one of these? For what it is it seems quite cheap so I guess there must be a reason.
Any and all comments most welcome - thanks.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 06/01/2008 at 00:29

Good second-hand buy? - Red Baron
This car fared disastrously in crash tests. Vauxhall rushed this one out as they missed the bus for the People Carriers. Was the car not a US derived GM product? It was not sold for long in the UK.

Avoid.
Good second-hand buy? - Mad Maxy
This car fared disastrously in crash tests. Vauxhall rushed this one out as they missed
the bus for the People Carriers.
It was not sold for long in the UK.

Correct. Your choice, OP, whether you avoid...
Good second-hand buy? - stuartl
All I remember about the Sintra is, as mentioned, the really bad crash tests and seemed to recall that the steering wheel had a tendancy to snap off in a crash.

No chance of me ferrying my family around in something like that.
Good second-hand buy? - Victorbox
"they missed the bus for the People Carriers. It was not sold for long in the UK" and then they made a much better job with Flex 7 seating etc in the Zafira and have never looked back.
Good second-hand buy? - Ruperts Trooper
It's a US-built car re-badged as a Vauxhall. The engines are common with European-built Vauxhalls but electronics and other systems are all different, making fault finding and part finding difficult. European GM cars don't match the best for build quality but compare a Sintra with any other Vauxhall and you'll see the huge gulf between US-built and European-built standards.

Sintra has very few fans, even among hardened Vauxhall enthusiasts, best avoided.
Good second-hand buy? - TheOilBurner
You must have missed the bit where Quentin Willson sprayed a Sintra with liquefied manure. Says it all really. Save up and buy a Zafira instead! :)
Good second-hand buy? - Pugugly {P}
From contemporary reports on the television and in the press these were hopelessly unreliable sheds and totally outdated safety wise. Don't buy it.
Good second-hand buy? - OldSock
For the reasons others have given, the Sintra is going for a song.....

Good second-hand buy? - mss1tw
I'd never even heard of them. That really is a Yank 'minivan' with a different badge, so I'm not suprised by it's supposed lack of safety.
Good second-hand buy? - Kuang
ISTR a story on watchdog about the electrics in Sintras malfunctioning across the board. I don't think there were many of the few sold that didn't have to go back for major remedial work, and when they did they were held up pending spare parts for too long or fobbed off by the dealerships with the common 'they all do that / design feature' response.
Good second-hand buy? - movilogo
I just checked the Parker's review on Sintara.

Seemed to be a very shoddy product.
well, you know what? Sintras look not too bad actually and for the money the spec is great. But then I read all your comments and those at www.peachorlemon.co.uk (apologies if I'm not supposed to mention other web-sites) and gave myself a right good slapping and came to my senses. Thanks folks :)

So, I've got maybe £3k burning a hole in my pocket and have a need for an 8 seater, what's going to be better than a Previa? I've had three of them now and really fancy a change.
Good second-hand buy? - boxsterboy
If you could make do with 7 seats, it would have to be a Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra. All the early bugs should have been ironed out by now (and there were plenty - I had a Saharn and so know!). Plenty of choice and well know to cheap spannermen.
must be 8 I'm afraid - me, SWMBO and 6 offspring (I think I know what causes it now). OK so #1 son is at uni most of the time but when he is home we do tend to go out and about together so I don't think having a 7 seater and hiring an 8 seater for the uni hols would be a viable option. In another year or so that'll probably change but for now it needs to seat 8 especially as the holiday in the SW is already booked.
Good second-hand buy? - Collos25
Ford transit bus.I think I would stop with what I am used to.
Good second-hand buy? - charlesb
What about a Fiat Ulysee, Peugeot 806 / 807 or Citroen Synergie / C8

The C8 I know have a rear bench seat option which accomodates 3, and therefore you get your 8 seats

I see a lot of 806 and Synergies still and the old Ulysee someone at my workplace has.

I've just purchased a new C8, for similar reasons, although I've only got the 3 offspring so far, but plenty of luggage to lug about.
Good second-hand buy? - nick
Have a mad rush of blood to the head!
tinyurl.com/2bh8fe
Good second-hand buy? - stackman
8 seats somewhat limits your choice and really none of them will be a patch on the Previa. We had an Estima (Japanese Previa) and it was far superior to the 806/C8/Ulysse.

You might want to consider some of the Japanese imports like a Mazda Bongo or Mitsubishi Delcia, they seem quite popular although there are pitfalls with any imported car.
Good second-hand buy? - nick
I'd buy a Bongo just for the name.
nick - i like your thinking re the yank tank. And they're not just a Bongo but a Friendee Bongo!
I had the same thought - mmmmm Skoda Bongo, BMW Bongo Msport...?
Good second-hand buy? - bignick2
whats wrong with your Previa?

hard to think of anything you might get for 3k that will seat 8 and be any better than what you already have.
Good second-hand buy? - Galad
I rented a 6 month old Sintra in 1996 for a business trip. First the alarm and central locking system started acting up - AA called out at 3am to silence the damn thing. Next day electric windows opened and wouldn't close (mid-January, driving rain). The last straw came with the complete failure of the power steering system and hydraulic fluid all over the road. We abandoned it and took the train. Buyer beware.....
www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_vauxhall_sintra_1999/6...x

Buy one by all means but whatever you do don't crash it !
Good second-hand buy? - gordonbennet
Kia Sedona, massive, heavy but with a 2.9 td and a good auto box to move it?

The only thing on the ex fleet sedona's i've shifted has been the poor quality carpeting, they really need the optional mat set, other than that don't hear many bad things.
Good second-hand buy? - J Bonington Jagworth
"what's going to be better than a Previa?"

Very little, I should think! My favourite local garage imports them in all sorts of non-UK guises, and can't get enough. Very reliable, too, apparently. Perhaps ownership of a Sintra for a while would help restore perspective.. :-)
Good second-hand buy? - Architect
mmmmmmm.......
I too read the parkers guide along the lines of "cheap plastic interior" which in kids speak means "cheerie practical indamadgeable" interior.
Anyway I'm a fairly sedate driver and have not crashed it in 30K miles!
I have to say from 50K to 80K it has been very reliable (touch wood).
We had a nightmare the first week we had it when I turned the key on a garage forecourt and all the electrics went!!!
It went dtraight back to the garage it came from - loose battery terminal connections alledgedly.
Since then all I've done other then exhaust, tyres, pads, discs, service, mot is a "clutch box kit" which goes between the pedal and the clutch.
That said it is now due another service, timing belt change and looking like some shock absorbers and brake pipes so I'm thinking of changing for a Discovery.
It would not have been my first choice ideally but budget and convenience led me to it and I have few grumbles with it other than the cheap plastic interior.
I suppose the nearest will be the Chrysler Voyager which I understand it was based on.
Zafira however is smaller with what I would term 'jump up' seats - for short journeys. Also I would not attempt to tow seven adults on a 1.6 engine.

Selling it ....I had an enquiry when it was sitting my folks driveway...it is very practical when you can remove all rear seats and fit a bed in the back!

cheers,
Good second-hand buy? - Collos25
I thought they they were based on a Chevrolet as they bought their old dyes to make it.
Opel/Vauxhall Sintra is a US-built model, no idea what the US equivalent is - Chevrolet something or other.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 30/01/2008 at 09:00

According to Wikipedia, the Sintra is a version of the Chevrolet Venture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Venture
Good second-hand buy? - a900ss
Still at least the Sintra is safer than the Voyager that was tested in 2007!!!!

www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.a...x
Good second-hand buy? - catflap
Since then all I've done other then exhaust tyres pads discs service mot is a
"clutch box kit" which goes between the pedal and the clutch.

Can you tell me what a clutch box kit is as I'm currently having a problem with my Sintra's clutch.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 23:25

Good second-hand buy? - Boggy
Whatever you do, don't try a Nissan Serena! I've been in one - most uncomfortable and noisy thing I've ever experienced!