Reg' Plate - Martin Devon
Morning all,

Thinking of selling the plate that came with the Merc'. Would propose to use e-bay. Does anybody know the charges involved with the dvla etc. and how do I go about getting another reg' and at what cost/time scale etc.?

TIA......MD
Reg' Plate - Alby Back
Hi Martin - My info is three years out of date but I found my local DVLA office really helpful. In my case I wanted to take a reg from my "old" car and transfer it onto my "new" one. I physically took all the relevant documents for both vehicles with me.
V5's, MOT's, and both tax discs. After a bit of form filling and queuing and parting with ( I think ) about £80 it was all done as I waited.

I'm fairly sure you could still do something siniilar and end up with a retention certificate for the number you no longer require. This certificate is what you can then sell.
Reg' Plate - Martin Devon
Thanks shoespy, but won't that add £80 or something to my costs by going to retention?

VBR.......MD
Reg' Plate - Alby Back
I may be wrong but I'm not sure that there is any clever way round that. Reason being that I'm fairly sure that the DVLA will want to charge you for issuing a new plate for the Merc.

My best advice would be to go in and discuss it with them in advance. They were very clued up and used to these requests when I went. Horrible offices but actually very nice and helpful people. Nowhere near Chester are you ?

Oh, and at the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to tell your insurance co. and AA / RAC or whatever straightaway.
Reg' Plate - RichardW
First thing to do is check it doesn't say "Number not transferable" on the V5....

I'd check on ebay and see if most people are selling on retention, or for direct transfer. I think you have to pay the £80 either way, a transfer from retention to a car being free - I would guess that most sellers pass this cost onto the buyer - either post sale or as the starting price, which includes what you want for the plate + the fees.

DVLA has chapter and verse at www.dvla.gov.uk
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Reg' Plate - Doc
Have a look at:

tinyurl.com/yp7j7h

The transfer costs £80 and the Retention Cert. is £25.
DVLA will supply you with a replacement number.