Cheap estate car - opinions please? - Danielb
Hi all,
I will shortly be moving house, and am after a very cheap (Sub £500) estate car to help me lug things about, and shift stuff out of the new house - rubbish etc etc.

My priorities are Load space, TAX and MOT.

I'm not really worried about whether it is manual or diesel, economy isn't a huge issue, but I want a manual rather than an auto.

Engine size should be 1.6 or above.

I have some options I'm looking at:

Citroen BX >87 - can be had from about £200.
Volkswagen Passat estate >85 - can be had from about £100.
Volvo 240 Estate >84 - can be had from about £300

Have also considered Carlton, Renault 21, Sierra etc etc

Anyone have any opinions on any of these cars, or any I should look at also?

Cheers

Dan
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - Richard Hall
What you really want is a Ford Transit. You won't find a good diesel for the price, but the petrol versions are pretty unwanted and there are lots about (mainly ex British Telecom in grey). Or perhaps an ex Post Office Sherpa - sliding side doors, dents in every body panel and high security locks that the previous owner has lost the key for.

If you insist on something car-like, I reckon Passats are unbeatable value at this level. But avoid the 5 cylinder GL5 model - too much to go wrong. Diesels are pretty weedy. 1.8CL manual your best bet.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - NeilT
I've always had Montego's as second cars (either for club motorsport, or fun), although they rust like hell, if its a tempory car, a half decent H, J or K reg can be pickd up for under £500.
My J reg 2.0GTi was bought in 1999 for £100 with 117,000miles on the clock, since then it';s done a 9000 mile cape to Cape challenge accross Europe, a few sprints, and a couple of Track days, totting up 150 miles on each. Its now done 129,000 miles, doesn't burn any oil, and starts first time after being standing outside in the winter for 6 months.

Contray to belief, this is usual behaviour fot Montegos, especially 2.0 models, and in the 3 clubs I was involved in (both MG and Rover clubs) there where many 1.6 & 2.0 models with 200,000+ miles still running original untouched engines, gearboxes etc. I also know of a G-reg 1.6 Estate that required an enginje change at 600,000 miles..... I currently own 3, apart from a SEAT Leon TDi.

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - NeilT
Failing the Montego, other cars with big load bays, and worth a look are:

Vaxhall Carlton 2.0, Peugeot 405 & Ford Granada.

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - Steve Brautigan
this could be just wot ur looking for:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1736...0
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - John S
Dan

If you've already got a car, have you considered a trailer? No tax, MOT etc, and you can keep it for years.

Regards

John S
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - M.M
Dan,

The BX seems an obvious choice given your interest in them. As you will know the odd estate comes up at daft money from time to time.

Having said that it might be best to look with an open mind so you get the best car at the money, regardless of make.

John S makes a very sensible comment about the trailer. Any sub £500 car is likely to be a project in itself, do you really want that as well at moving time?

For something between £150 - £350 you will get either an open or box trailer that will move everything...and far better than an estate car.

Last year we helped moved someone with an old "stock" trailer. This was a 40yr old Rice (brand) trailer made for moving pigs or sheep. For some reason it had almost never been used for that purpose but remianed stored in a dry barn, hence it was in brilliant clean order. One ton capacity, hardwood floor and drop ramp for easy loading of heavy items. Wooden sides with a canvas roof on hoops to keep the contents dry. About 9'x 5' inside and enough height to walk into.

Buy something like that with no costs to tax/insure and you'll sell it for the purchase price next month, next year or in ten years. Trailers hold their money forever if kept tidy.

David W
Steve - yes I had seen that Passat - it has a large crack in the windscreen - is that classed as illegal?

It's in the drivers line of sight.

And yes I had considered a trailer, but.......

I would need to have a towbar fitted to my 16V, and that isn't particuarly cheap to start with is it, plus you need one with electrics do you not?

I've seen new trailers advertised from about £250 on the web.

The other thing that sways me towards an estate over a trailer is for the upcoming trips to DIY centres etc etc - it's easier to find a space for an estate car, than a hatch and trailer.

Also where I park my car at my house is a very tight squeeze to get in as it is, and with a trailer it would be impossible - plus no room to turn round.

If I can find a 'good' estate that doesn't need to much work and is fairly reliable then I am open to the idea of keeping it for a while as it's just 'handy' to have one around.

Cheers for the replies, anymore please don't hesitate!

Oh yeh!

Just seen this, I'm guessing this is a big 'run away, go nowhere near' situation!

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1736...4

Cheers

Dan

Me again,
just rung up about a 1991 BX TGS from a home trader:

130-140K on the clock, Mot til May (Just been done) but no tax.

Asking price is £395.

He also has a 405 1.9 petrol on a J plate, with a damaged drivers door, but he still wants £595 for it.
This one has Tax and MOT.

Dan
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - doug_523i
My BX held tons of stuff with the seats down, but I've seen the estate and they aren't that much bigger, it's just an extra 'triangle' above the hatch that's extra, plus a lower tailgate. Why don't you hire a (Citroen) van for the weekend?
Hi Doug,
thing is the estate requirement will probably be fairly constant over the next three months.

The house I've bought has nowhere really to put a skip, so the car could also be used to cart loads of rubbish to the tip, like old fireplaces, old cladding that was on the wall etc etc - as well as carting posessions in to the house.

Dan
Cheap estate car - opinions please? - doug_523i
2CV van? I'd stick to the BX if you're happy with them, most people ignore them so they go really cheap for their age. My Xantia is probably worth £1500, but 20 years ago we were buying new cars in worse condition than it is now. Maybe an old, smoky Xantia estate at auction would fit your bill.

The only BX problem I had was the clutch, I had it done by a non-Citroen garage and it was so stiff when it came back it pulled the cable guide off, where it passes through the bulkhead. That was after pulling the ends of three clutch cables.
The Passats been sold!
Not to me I mean..!