Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - emmakw
Hello there
I'm new to this forum but need some advice. I'm starting a new job in a month and will be facing a 100 mile round-trip commute, probably 3 days a week. I don't think my 2003 Citroen C3 Pluriel is quite up to it and I'm looking for something more economical (diesel probably), safe, comfortable and reasonably fun.
I've got GBP4k plus whatever the dealer will give me as trade-in for the Pluriel - around GBP4k I should hope as it's done less than 18,000 miles.
I've test-driven a Citroen C4 1.6 Diesel Coupe but to be honest, was not exactly blown away by it.
The new car needs to be good on the motorways (bulk of my commute will be M25), but also good for short trips as well. There are only two of us so no need for a "family" car.
I'd really appreciate any advice you might have!
Thanks.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - drivewell
Fabia vRS?
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - a900ss
I'm quiet impressed by the PSA dielsels, how about a 307 1.6 110Hdi? If you take it steady on the motorway (60MPH) you'll get 65MPG.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - Pugugly {P}
Vectra C ?
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - Red Baron
You drive 300 miles per week, but only when you are not on holiday.
You (probably) get 5 weeks holiday.
Therefore you drive about 14k per year.

At this mileage a diesel is not worth it. It cost more to begin with, can have insurmountable and expensive problems when it does wrong. You may save £300 per year using diesel as opposed to petrol.

I would get a 1.6 petrol. Plenty of power, choice, and cheap.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - Downesi1
Seat Toledo?

8k should get you an 54 tdi model.....
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - drivewell
There are only two of
us so no need for a "family" car.

Not sure the OP needs / wants something the size of a Vectra C, or a Toledo. Still think my suggestion of a Fabia vRS fits the bill. (It's certainly what I would have if I didn't need something Mondeo sized)
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - teabelly
I'd try out your pluriel for a few weeks commuting and see what it is like. If it feels ok then you are better off sticking with it. Trade in will be poor as pluriels aren't well liked, especially the early ones. You might find dealers will offer you only £3-£3.5k Glasses guide is putting them at £3700 top whack for an 03 and £4070 for a 53. Average condition is about £3500 down to £3k for a 53 and 03 respectively.

A diesel isn't going to give you great savings as you must be getting around 45mpg already. Most diesels will give you about 55mpg and cost you more in fuel per litre as well as making a vile noise :-)

Alternatively have a play with a smart roadster. They were being sold off cheap a while ago so you might find a brand new one around 8-9k.
teabelly
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - barney100
Merc C class for me, trawl the adds and will get a good one that will last and last. 45 a gallon and comfort, cruise and auto eats the motorway miles.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - Avant
Fabia vRS is a good suggestion, but if you don't need the extra performance you could think about a Fabia 1.9 TDI or a 1.4 petrol (make sure you get the 100 bhp version) - you would get a newer model. Both are very good to drive.

Suzuki Swift 1.5 is another possibility - you could get one of these nearly new.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - Pugugly {P}
1.9TDi engine is fast and frugal.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - smokescreen
1.9TDi engine is fast and frugal.

Especially with a remap
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - spikeyhead {p}
its for use on the M25 in rush hour. Fast isn't really relevant.

Comfort is.

Go for a Skoda Superb with all the toys.
Diesel £8k: Your advice would be appreciated! - 659FBE
I did that and got the 130 PS 1.9 litre PD diesel. The performance and economy are both outstanding. It's comfortable.

I'm pleased with it - nothing has stopped working yet but the dealers seem to be technically and morally compromised.