1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Surrey_Scientist

I have a 1994 corolla, last MOT they said bushes at front were worn, and when I took it to have the tracking done in the summer they said they couldn't do it as it was moving around too much to get an accurate reading.

Recently its been getting quite "wandery" at speed, and its starting to get tiring on a long motorway journey.

MOT is due in about 6 weeks, so I am wondering about either getting it done beforehand, or seeing if it passes, but would also rather it drove straight oo.

I've been told to get the front bushes done the whole lower wishbone has to be raplaced as the bushes cant be sourced separtaely (and a pig to extract old/fit new ?)

My question is this....

(A) what is the cost likely to be for both sides - is it worth doing on a car this age. The engine gearbox and bodywork etc are all fautless, uses no oil but of course there is always the chancew of that big thing just suddenly going at this age.

If its not too expensive Imayu have it done anyway, but if its going to cost, then prob see if it passes without.

If it doesn't pass is it just a scrapjob......... ?

(B) What else do the arms come with - will they also come fitted with new balljoints/swivels - so will I also be replacing at the same time several other potentially worn items, as these could of course also be a source of hte wandering.

(C) Is there anything else worth replacing at the same time if I have this done while the suspension is being stripped ?

thanks !!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/12/2007 at 18:33

1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Aprilia
The Corolla suspension is very straightforward. You should be able to get pattern arms for about £50 a side - this is with the balljoint and bush. Try your local 'brown brothers' or somewhere like Japarts.co.uk (although they are not always that cheap).

The job is an easy DIY - few bolts and seperate the balljoint. I reckon someone else might charge 1-1/2 hours labour..?
1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Surrey_Scientist

Hi thanks for the info.

I just checked Japparts

you are right htey are not cheap.....

seems the balljoint is not on the arm in the photo - its an extra £31 and listed separately :-(. The arms are £52

So £83 a side unless I can find a cheaper supplier.

Glad to know its a simple strip down job though.

1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Chuckie888
It's not just the material worth of the car, it's the cost of finding a replacement which you know all the current and likely foibles as well as you do this old bird!
1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Aprilia
OK then. I just had a look on Ebay and there is a seller (factor) selling complete wishbones with balljoint for £37 inc. P&P.

Check out item nr. 320175686663
1994 - Front Suspension bushes/arms replacement - Fullchat
Dont forget to get the tracking done when you have renewed the suspension parts.