Bought a VIC marker car! - Rambling-Rose
Hi,

my husband bought a Rover 220, 5 weeks ago, it had a damaged door, but the seller assured him that it was not a write off, so hubby bought it. They both filled in log book and hubby was given the green slip.
We thought we would have received the log book after a couple of weeks, so today I phoned the DVLA and they said we carn't have the log book because, the sellers insurers are demanding a VIC, (Vehicle Identification Check) which we have to pay £35 for.
Hubby has replaced the door and we are ready to put it on the road, but now we're going to have to wait until the check is done. We know that we can drive to the testing station with no tax, its got plenty of test on, but how do we go about insuring it? Can you insure a car with a VIC marker?

Rambling-Rose
Bought a VIC marker car! - bell boy
first off commiserations for buying a rover
the vic costs £36
you need a new mot as the old one is voided
you insure it in the normal way but dont defraud the insurance company on the cars worth
the car should not have had a log book the insurer should have taken it off the owner of the car and destroyed it,i recon the man who sold you this car was the owner at the time of the accident he got paid out and elected to keep the salvage,the insurer would have accepted this and asked for a photostat of the log book only,now the car has been sold as all good
i would call it fraud
maybe go back to matey
you wont get a vic date till well into the new year now so your car is undriveable legally until the vic is completed

Bought a VIC marker car! - R40
first off commiserations for buying a rover

It's OK...........he's like that to everyone who buys a name he doesn't like, a colour that doesn't match his favourite shirt etc. etc. Despite his rude manner he does have a heart of gold and can prove quite helpful ;)
Bought a VIC marker car! - The Gingerous One

As I see it, so long as an insurance company is prepared to insure it, then you can get it MoT'd and then get a tax disc.

Then you can use it. It won't be registered in your name (which might be a problem when it comes to insurance) but you can sort out the VIC check later.

You might only be able to get TPF&F but that shouldn't matter on an older car.

And remember, HPI a car before you buy it. I hope it was cheap....
Bought a VIC marker car! - Aprilia
I assume this was bought as a 'cheap and cheerful' runabout. Was probably written off on account of the door damage.

VIC is to check its not a clone/ringer. Insurance should not be a problem (they should know from their database that its been a write-off), but can't use the thing until VIC'd and MoT'd as per Bell Boy's advice.
Thanks for the replies.

We didn't realise that we'd have to M.O.T it again, it only had door damage.
I think we've been well and truly had......The bloke didn,t tell us the car was VIC marked, would he have known this before he sold us the car?
Also the tax is due to run out at the end of the month, will we able to sorn's it?

I thougth that as he had given hubby the the green part of log-book that everything was ok! but hubby has just remembered that the said the bloke said that when he first got the car he still waiting for the log book to arrive when he went to tax it, so he applied for another log book when he renewed the tax, and the log book arrived the next day, and another 1 followed a few weeks later, so he had 2 log books, so he must have give us the slip from the spare log book after sending the other 1 to the insurance company!

Hubby didn't pay too much for the car, £190 for s reg Rover 420 DI.... Just aswell seeing as its gonna cost us another £80 for a VIC test and M.O.T!

Has this bloke acted frauduently?

at £190 i would see it as a learning curve as the car wouldnt have even been worth hpi ing at this price,hope its ok for you, i think the price is fine if everything pans out ok,somebody on here bought one of these a few weeks ago and had to spend a grand when his head gasket went ,so you are quids up so far

put it behind you and have a merry xmas............
Bought a VIC marker car! - martint123
When selling a car you don't have to say "this is/was a writeoff".
It's up to the buyer to ask pertinent questions. Also remember that a car can be much more seriously damaged but repaired and not classed as a writeoff. Old, cheap cars can get written off often because the simple cost of spraying new parts isn't worth it.

The seller said the car was not a write off, but he had been paid out by the insurance company.
Can they still ask for a VIC even if the car was not a write off?

When hubby went to buy the car, he took his mate with him, who is an MOT inspector, and he said the car is definately road worthy.

Thank you all for your replies, its a brill website this, wish I found it years ago.

Rambling-Rose
If the insurance has paid out then it is a write off. If it is a class C writeoff then a VIC is required. Many, many writeoffs are perfectly roadworthy and safe but would cost too much to fix with new parts.
VIC what is it? www.wcsauto.com/salvage/vic/index.html
Insurance categories. www.wcsauto.com/salvage/categories/index.html
I've been on the phone to VOSA to ask if we need to get an new MOT for the car, before we take it for the VIC, as I was told on here that the the original 1 would be voided, and they said that if the car is roadworthy, which it is, then the original MOT is still valid.

Gill.

This gets stranger. when the insurance company writes a car off they ask for the V5 and MOT certificate. I take it "matey" gave you the MOT ?
Bought a VIC marker car! - Ruperts Trooper
Not always - our Nova, then about 12 years old, was hit up the back by an HGV. As we only had TPFT insurance we used the legal expenses cover to claim from the HGV's insurance. The repair cost £700 was much higher than the Nova's value so we simply claimed, and eventually got, £400. The lamp cluster was replaced but the rest of the damage left unrepaired.

I presume that insurers only ask for V5 and MOT if writing it off under a comprehensive policy.
Yes, when an insurance company writes it off, they then own the car and all its documents.

If you decide not to repair it, then no one knows or cares. It isn't a "write off" in this case, just a wreck.
Yes we were given the MOT document..........The car was only TPFT insurance.

I'm not sure what to do now.......VOSA say its ok.......but other people say we need a new MOT!

I've tried looking on the internet, but I can not find anywhere where it says to renew the MOT for VIC.

Bought a VIC marker car! - rtj70
This is yet another example of someone asking on a forum when they should be asking the agency in question. Surely VOSA has a phone number and if they say it is okay then surely it is?
Bought a VIC marker car! - barchettaman
..... This is yet another example of someone asking on a forum when they should be asking the agency in question.....

Take it easy! She´s contacted the agencies too. Nothing wrong with a bit of advice from the BackRoom oracles.
Bought a VIC marker car! - stuartl
I can offer no advice about the legalities of this car BUT what I would say is if VOSA say the car is OK to drive I would ensure that you have a way of proving that they said this.

Fax, letter, whatever but get something firm that you can wave at your insurers and other authorities if there is a problem.

Call me cynical but I dont take anyone's word for granted these days as if you were given wrong advice the consequences of using this car on the road could be very serious and without proof of what you were told you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Had a chuckle at BB's early comment, took the words right out of my mouth : 0 )
I've just stumbled across this website, about VIC, www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/vicfaqs.asp#40

and it doesn't say anything about having to re-MOT, it just says the car has to be roadworthy, it also DOES NOT say that the MOT certificate has to be handed back to the insurance company if the car is a write-off.

As we've already got an MOT certificate with 7 months test, and the car is roadworthy, we're not going to bother re-testing, unless someone can find us some legislation, which insists we do!
the vosa man accepted the old mot
if your insurance compant accept it as well then fair does
however
i can categorically state that vosa will not be happy that you have not retested as this shows that you have had a mechanical inspection after the insurance company has written it off
the final answer as you have the log book is to log onto the vosa website and see if your mot comes up on the database,you should find it doesnt as you can not enter the system until a new test has been completed
please report back with what you find

check here... tinyurl.com/2vopzp
I,ve been on the VOSA website, and the MOT comes up, so does that mean its still valid?
well you have done what you can
so probably yes
best check in a few weeks again mind just in case

happy new year and lots of happy miles

ps you nicked the car really :-) in a monetary sense so sit sit back now and enjoy
Thanx,

I'll let you now how we get on at the VIC, next tuesday.

Happy New Year.

UPDATE!!!!!

Hi,
we took the car for the VIC, we were only there for about 10 mins, it passed with flying colours, no questions asked about the MOT. We insured it ok aswell.
When we came home we went to tax it at the local post office, with a V10 I printed off the computer, put they wouldn't accept it, they could only issue us a tax disc if we had a tax remonder or the green slip from the log book, so we used the green slip which we were not supposed to have received from the previous owner, so now the car is fully road legal...............we carn't wait to tow the caravan with it now!

Bought a VIC marker car! - smokie
All's well that ends well...