51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - bravosto
HI, thinking about buying from salvage a peugeot 307 auto '51, water damaged due to flooding. is it wise?dont know if it starts/drives yet, would repair be expensive? thanks!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2007 at 00:56

flood damaged - pendulum
A lot of people who do it for a living won't go near flood damaged cars. There can be so many problems.
flood damaged - JohnPug
I wouldn't bother, the electrical systems on these cars are a nightmare.
flood damaged - Ruperts Trooper
There are large numbers of flood-damaged cars around because of this summer's rains - damage may vary from water stains to wrecked electrics/electronics.

It might be worth a punt for a few hundred quid but "Caveat Emptor"
flood damaged - cheddar
It might be worth a punt for a few hundred quid but "Caveat Emptor"

Very good, flood damaged, punt , ha!
flood damaged - rtj70
so has the OP written off the Audi 1.8T aleady due to the low oil.

I'd have thought flood damage will likely be related to this summer's floods and so steer well clear. Might be only a few hundred but it will cost much more to fix... That's why it wasn't fixed.
flood damaged - Dynamic Dave
Most flood damaged cars I've seen on the salvage websites have been classed as cat B write offs. Cat B being to be never put back on the road and used for certain spare parts only. Check before buying what category write off it's been given.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2007 at 01:00

flood damaged - bravosto
its a CAT C.
flood damaged - injection doc
No No No it aint worth anything, it will be a nightmare. Cars don't like water at the best of times. Peugeot & water & electrics don't mix especially one that old. Walk away
Doc
flood damaged - nick
No, don't walk away, RUN!
flood damaged - mike hannon
It's an early 307.
It has early 307 electrics.
It's an auto.
It is flood damaged.
NOOOOOO!
flood damaged - milkyjoe
if you must insist on travelling with an ever present smell of stagnant water then do the right thing and buy a canoe !! ( and dont forget the life insurance :) )
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - injection doc
just to educate you a little in the direction of the electrics, when a car is submerged water creeps into the wiring loom actually penatrating the wiring ( however tight it is wrapped) & over the months the wiring loom will literally rot out & if it doesn't short first or catch fire it will fail. ( ask a VW passat owner about the loom under the passenger floor if they have ever had a leak!) 2nd if the water gets in the loom most manufactures have connectors wrapped in the harness & these usually rot 1st & cause mayhem. thats apart from any moisture that may of crept into control units including air bag sensors & modules often fitted at floor level ( often known as crash sensors) . Then there is the risk of infection from possibly contaminated water ( sewage) the smell that will never go & the bad earths that will never go away. Thats apart from the auto box that may of got water in it! damage will be done to that within minuets of water entering as corosion will start imidiatley on fine tolerence valves!
Waterlogged cars need crushing. In recent years I had experienced a few at my workshop where people had bought cheap & they were an utter nightmare & I remember three that ended up being scrapped because thats all they were any good for
Doc
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - TedCrilly
Apart from the obvious mechanical and electrical issues that water ingress can cause you should also consider what the car has actually been submerged in. River water is relatively clean and presents little in the way of health hazards but with flood water this is far from the case. Its a soup thats contaminated with dirt, chemicals, raw sewage dead animals etc......I wouldnt even want to sit in a car knowing its been full of all these nasties let alone own one.
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - likerocks
Just in case the previous posts haven't put you off, A colleague of mine from Hull had a Xsara Picasso (similar electrics to a 307) submerged up to sill level in this year's floods.

The carpets got damp, but that was it.

The insurance assesor came round, put his head in the car, had a sniff, then wrote it off immediately. When pressed for more explanation he said that he could in no way guarantee the long term reliability of the electrics.
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - Screwloose
he said that he could in
no way guarantee the long term reliability of the electrics.

Hardly surprising - Citroen certainly can't....
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - bell boy
bit more information
the wheel bearings go
all the brakes get ingressed with mucky water (how many people would consider this at purchase?)
ecu"s floating in green slime
turds under the seats
green mould everywhere and i mean everywhere
silt and mud in x-members to rot out over the next few years
etc etc

ive never met a trader yet that likes flood damaged stock,to me its either buy cheap get running and sell on the internet or private or at the block (no comeback that way,theoretically)
ive seen cars attain £15,000 THESE LAST FEW MONTHS AND WHEN I SAY THEY WERE FLOODED I MEAN UP TO THE TOP OF THE ROOF

remember a lot of high value stuff has been sold by the insurance companies lately as category x stuff,this means not recorded on the hpi register,anybody buying cars that seem cheaper than normal are probably going to go for a leg in unless they contact the previous owner for a full sp

FLOOD DAMAGED? DONT WALK AWAY ,RUN RUN RUN AWAY
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - Pugugly {P}
....or swim.
51 reg auto - buying a flood damaged one - bravosto
thanks everyone car was nnice and cheap ...well i didnt know much!!!now i amm swimming away far far away!!!!once aaagainn thanks evryone!!!