1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - dodo
My low mileage 96 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 estate (10v) has I found out a very poor heater. The temperature guage seldom moves from the bottom and into the bottom quarter - even after a longish run. Is it a thermostat problem? thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 10/12/2007 at 23:36

1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - Dynamic Dave
Is it a thermostat problem? thanks

More than likely.
1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - dodo
Is this a diy job or do I need to visit the dealers?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/12/2007 at 21:14

1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - Peter.N.
Certainly sounds like the thermostat. Check the radiator and see if it gets warm but not hot, soon after the engine is started. Also check if the temperature rises when you push the car hard. Dont know what its like to change on your car, but if its in the normal place, on the cylinder head top radiator hose connection, it shouldn't be difficult - if everything comes undone. Should only be two ot three bolts.

Peter.N.
Volvo 850 - poor heater! - volvodriver
My 850 T5 heater works ok at low speeds but at 70mph on 90 mile long motorway trips the gauge drops to the bottom and the heat drops to lukewarm. These cold evenings my feet go to freezing. Any ideas ? (on the heater problem, not the feet) I originally thought of a matrix blockage but as it gets very hot at 30mph that suggests no blockage. From your response to the other car you mention the thermostat but I though that would still get hot eventually. This problem only started two weeks ago, last winter the heater worked ok.

Volvo 850 - poor heater! - Screwloose
volvodriver

Thermostat.

1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - Steptoe
Hope you won't mind me joining your thread with a similar problem.

Ever since Ive had the 740 the heater has been no more than lukewarm; I just put up with it, dressing for the occasion, much as veteran car drivers do, but Mrs S complained bitterly when she drove the car, to the extent of buying a plug-in fan heater!

I am only really concerned in the sense that it is something that I ought to be able to sort out; at varying times over the years of ownership I have replaced the thermostat (engine temperature and gauge are normal), checked flow through heater pipes, and completely removed the vacuum operated heater valve. The vacuum operation of the sliding selector switch seems to be working ok.

When I first acquired the car I had to remove the heater matrix to solder a crack on the stub (don't ask, but it was after I had a clutch replaced at a certain franchise and I now regret not fitting a new matrix) and I don't want to go down that road again, so if the fault is due to scaling up I will just shiver. There is sufficient heat to demist & defrost, its just that a Swedish car designed for the frozen North should burn the occupants calves and certainly others that I have ridden in do.

Any thoughts, apart from dismantling the dashboard again? :-(

----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - jc2
Most European cars have different specification heater and cooling systems dependent on the market they are intended for-there are normally Northern Europe and Southern Europe specifications.The UK seems to get either dependent on the supply situation at any one time.Being RHD,they are built in smaller quantities.
1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - Martin Devon
I have 1 '93 850 glt 20 valve as a back up car and I have exactly the same prob with the heater/demister in 95% of circumstances and I believe the thermostat has been changed. The car is worthless, but still passes the MOT without much ado, A bulb this year and I just love driving the thing.

VBR.............................MD.
1996 850 GLT 2.5 - poor heater! - keep the heap going
I have to change the matrix in my 1990 940...I am dreading it. It sounds like your system would benefit from a good cooling system flush. That should shift the garbage out of it.