new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - oilrag
New 57 reg Ka`s on sale at Ford dealers for £4,995.

What`s the likely lifespan (engine and body)and typical problems that would be encountered in ownership?

I seem to remember paying just a few hundred less than that in 1985 for a VW Polo C.
That`s 22 years ago and the Polo was in the family for 16 years.

The 2007 Ford KA seems a bargain considering how income has risen over 22 years, unbelievable really, but could it go 16 years without MOT failure corrosion like the 1985 VW?

Regards

NB, Not considering a KA personally, just amazed at the price and wondering what the ownership experience is.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/12/2007 at 10:31

new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - tyro
I bought a new one four years ago. (It cost £5400 including metallic paint).

I've had a little rust, (e.g. at the base of the A pillar) which I have removed and painted over. (I understand that they are one of the few cars manufactured these days that are not galvanised.) It will be very interesting to see how it fares for corrosion over the next few years.

Bushes tend to need replacing more often than one might hope, and I've had one broken coilspring. I also found the braking poor, but it was much improved by fitting uprated pads.

Otherwise no complaints at all.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Alby Back
We bought a new Ka four years ago at a promotional price of £4995 I think. It has been great, no problems at all. I recently asked its trade in value at our local Ford dealer and was offered £3000 against a new one. So that works out at £500 a year in depreciation so far. All other costs are "normal" ie servicing and such.

As it has only done 16k we won't be changing it for a good while yet. We will look to get at least 10 years out of it provided it doesn't start to become problematic.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - DP
My sister has a 10 year old 1.3 base model with 90k on the clock. She's had it 2 years and has put about 35k on it. Really chuffed with it overall. Cosmetically, it's still reasonably tidy (minor rust on the bonnet and tailgate). The spark plugs have corroded into the head, but that won't affect a new one as it's a different engine. Other than that, and a rotted downpipe (needed to be replaced with the integral catalyst at over £300) it's been great.

Just fun to drive in that "proper" basic small car way.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Leif
Mine is almost 6 years old, and no serious problems. There was a problem with the throttle and it was fixed under warranty. The only rust I can see is on the studs on the passenger windows. Thus far servicing has been cheap. Petrol consumption has increased from about 48 mpg to 40 mpg but that is mainly due to more short journeys. I reckon I get about 3-5 mpg less due to engine wear.

I expected it to last 6 years then I would buy a replacement, but thus far I have few complaints so I will keep it until it starts showing signs of age.

The main complaint I have is noise. On the motorway at 80mph (on the clock) it feels very stable but the noise is a bit excessive.

I see a lot of Ka's on the road which are a lot older than mine. so I have high hopes. I really cannot see the point of dumping it until service bills increase substantially. And Ford servicing is not expensive.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - nick1975
Could you send me the link to the ford dealers offering this as i think its great value.

the only other new cars to consider, imho, are the panda (5k), miti colt (6k), 107/c1/aygo (5-6k)

the ford has advantages in the fact that there is a garage at the end of the road and spares cost 2p!!
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - oilrag
Nick, It was a free circulation newspaper in West Yorkshire.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - nick1975
Thanks - i will try a google search
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - mfarrow
A friend has had two of these over the past 4-5 years. He does it because he requires a reliable car with no gimmicks that he can sell on after 3 years (before MoT etc.) for a good trade-in for an identical replacement.

If the trade-in price you talk about (£3000) is true, that's less than £60 per month!

--------------
Mike Farrow
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Chris White
Quick Google search - £5k Kas here,

tinyurl.com/3ctzbc

tinyurl.com/335jmy
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - jc2
I've owned several and driven a lot more;never had any problems-the engine in the current one has chain driven cam,roller followers and hydraulic tappets-so should make for low maintenance and a long life-Many Ford dealers have offers on them around that price.Currently own a SportKa SE but you won't get one of them at that price.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Another John H
We bought one 2 1/2 years ago - no mechanical problems, but rear lights have been problematic:
several "lamps out" which weren't filament failures, but poor connections. It was finally resovled with better quality bulbs.

Recently both dip headlamp bulbs have failed - within a week or so of each other.
The headlamp bulbs aren't easy to change.

It must be said the driver uses it in the dark more than daylight and has put about a 1000 miles a month on it, so it's possible the headlamps have just exceeded their 1000 hours (or whatever they are rated at).

I'd agree about the rust - it has the look of something gently fraying around the edges: the harder you look, the more you find. It's the biggest disappointment on a good little car.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Wills
Hello sorry to hijack this thread but where would I buy a Mitsubishi Colt for 6K? I have looked but hopefully not well enough! Thanks

Quote nick1975

"the only other new cars to consider imho are the panda (5k) miti colt (6k)
107/c1/aygo (5-6k)"
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Altea Ego
Typing "Mitsubishi colt" into google, the First hit reveals a colt at £5,500

www.ewmotorservices.co.uk/
------
< Ulla>
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Wills
Thanks Altea, I didn't look very hard did I.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - P3t3r
I saw my local Fiat dealer advertising a new Panda for just under £5000 OTR. Not sure if you had to take finance for that though. From what I've heard, Pandas should be long lasting.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Anglesey Ian
In yesterday's Motoring Telegraph, HJ describes the 'KA 1.3' as a "cheap, throwaway car" referring to the low purchase price. IIRC he also said the same (some time ago) about the initial launch model of the Nissan Micra which had a shelf life of 5 (or was it 7) years.

This, at the time placed things into perspective for me personally in the way that I regarded low budget cars. I had a loan KA some time ago whilst my Mazda was being repaired and I was suprised how almost versatile and what a hoot it was in town use.

Ian
Performs suprisingly well on the motorway-only problem was that BMW's don't get out of your way and that was in one with the old 1.3 motor.
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - DP
Performs suprisingly well on the motorway-only problem was that BMW's don't get out of your
way and that was in one with the old 1.3 motor.

I agree. My first encounter with a Ka was as a courtesy car, and I was amazed how it would sit at 80 on a motorway with reasonable pull left in reserve, and more than acceptable noise levels.

What I love most about the Ka is that it's proper fun to drive in that old school small car way. It's tiny, light, agile, responsive, beautifully balanced, and makes 50 mph feel like 80. Small cars just don't do that any more.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - tyro
My first encounter with a Ka was as a courtesy car

So was mine. In fact, we bought a Ka simply on the basis of that experience.
What I love most about the Ka is that it's proper fun to drive in
that old school small car way. It's tiny light agile responsive beautifully balanced and makes
50 mph feel like 80.

Agreed. And its simplicity. Motoring in its purest form.
That's why Ford are still making and selling it eleven years after it was first introduced-it's virtually unchanged-apparently,back about 2000 Ford considered updating the body but when tested on the public at a "clinic".they were told by all the visitors "leave it alone".
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Another John H
Isn't the KA due to be replaced by a Panda/500 variant soon??
new one - £4,995 whats the likely experience? - Pugugly {P}
Yes. Disguised picture here.
.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=1280&page=1