Can a HDi engine run on sunflower oil? - bigdave1
Is it possible to use sunflower oil in a 307 hdi i used to have a 306 1,9 diesel and it ran fine on a mix of diesel and sunflower oil but does it work in the new hdi engine.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2007 at 18:46

Sunflower oil - Screwloose

Is it possible to feed an untried cocktail through state-of-the-art Piezo-electronic injectors...?

Yes; it's possible..... Whether it's desirable though......

And then there's the near certainty of uncontained hilarity at the dealers while they're relieving you of £3,000 for a complete new fuel system....

The 1.9 [with a Bosch pump] engine is Stone-Age technology and will happily burn anything flammable.

A Siemens SID or Bosch EDC system is anything but; they have enough trouble staying in one piece burning premium DERV.

Let us know how long it lasted.
Sunflower oil - Peter D
Yep it will run............................. For a while, you may even be able to get it to the dealers. Regards Peter
Sunflower oil - bigdave1
Thanks for the advice i think i will give the oil a miss to be honest!
Sunflower oil - pafosman
a word of warning?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/7117513.stm

Papho

ps what was he doing?
Sunflower oil - daveyjp
It looks like he was converting chip fat to biodiesel. From seeing it being done on 'It's Not Easy Being Green' it requires a cocktail of chemicals, including caustic soda and methanol.

"Recipe" and method here:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7047128.stm
Sunflower oil - Group B
Thanks for the advice i think i will give the oil a miss to be
honest!

Do a Google search for "ring gumming" or read this (description of ring gumming starts half way down the first post):
www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?...3

I know you mentioned using a blend of veg oil/ diesel rather than pure veg oil, but who knows what blend, if any, is safe in a common rail engine? You could have a twin tank system professionally installed but they will not warranty the work.

:o(