Water damaged ECU - Is there a reasonable fix ? - last1979
Our 53 Megane decided to die on us the other night. The dashboard told us it was an electrical fault and we noticed that the immobiliser wasn't going off when we unlocked it. It is now at a Renault garage and they have informed us that water has leaked in to the engine and corroded the central engine unit. If they can mend it easily it will only cost £400 but it may need completely re-wiring which would cost thousands.

We have noticed that this water leak and electrical fault is mentioned on Honest Johns 'whats not good' review.

Has anyone else come across this problem - does anyone have any advice to get garages to fix this without huge cost of our part as it sounds like a factory fault.

All advice gratefully received.

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/11/2007 at 22:48

Water damaged ECU - Is there a reasonable fix ? - cheddar
Water leaked in how?

From driving through a flood, if so it is down to you, due to accident damage, then it is doen to you, though if it is simply rain water has found its way in then I would have thought that Renault would entertain a good will claim in a 4 year old car.

Does it have full Renault service history?
Water damaged ECU - Is there a reasonable fix ? - last1979
Yes it does have a full service history and it appears to have happened just through rain water!!! We haven't been through any flood water or anything like that. Thanks for the advice though - I'll a bit useless with cars and all hints and tips to make sure I'm not been screwed over is very welcome.

Thanks
Water damaged ECU - Is there a reasonable fix ? - The Melting Snowman
Are you sure they don't mean the fuse box? Have heard other owners having this problem, although don't know how common it is.