Polo oil pressure senders - Richard Hall
Does anyone know why Polo engines (old ones) have two oil pressure senders? Only one appears to do anything, so I removed the other one to fit an oil pressure gauge (essential banger accessory) with no apparent ill effects.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Polo oil pressure senders - David Davies
Richard
These engines have not only an oil pressure warning light but also a warning buzzer which is supposed to activate if the pressure drops below a certain level and the engine is running over 2000RPM.Hence the reason for two sensors.It is quite an involved system and is operated by dashboard electronics.It can be unreliable and your oil pressure gauge is a good mod.IMHO.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Polo oil pressure senders - M.M
Richard,

As David says.......

I had some problems with our pocket money Polo because someone had mucked about with this system without realising the intended functions.

Of the two switches you see the normal one controls the dash light and it goes out at about 6psi. The other will operate if the engine is above 2000rpm and the pressure falls below 30psi.

I have found it is the high speed switch that will give problems making the buzzer go off at speed when there is no real fault.

Out higher speed one is disconnected as I *know* the oil pressure and engine condition are fine.

David W
Polo oil pressure senders - slimjim
David, I have been having the same problems with my 92K Polo, and have been told that it's possible to 'disable' (i.e. break0 the ciruit board behind the clocks that operates the buzzers. I'm hoping that I can just disconnect one of the switches, since unplugging both hasn't worked. Can you tell me which is the high speed switch, loking at then engine from the raidiator end?
If that doesn't work, any idea how easy it is to remove the dash/clocks to get to the citrcuit board?

Many thanks

Adam
Polo oil pressure senders - David Lacey
Yep, these things are pain in the a*** on VW's - I remember allsorts of faults on MK1 Golfs....
MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/
Polo oil pressure senders - Richard Hall
One of my ancient threads returns from the dead! As David stated at the time, there are two inputs to the system - oil pressure (from a second pressure sender mounted on the head) and engine speed (from a wire on the ignition coil). My buzzer sounded even with the pressure sender disconnected, but I found that disconnecting the wire from the ignition coil cured the problem, by fooling the warning system into thinking the engine wasn't running. It also disabled the annoying flashing economy light that some early Polos like mine had. Worth trying although a K reg Polo is right at the opposite end of production from my Y reg example, so I can't tell you for certain which colour wire to cut - you'll need to study the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, and look for the wire going from the ignition coil to the instrument pack. Also, if you have a rev counter, cutting this wire will stop it working.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Polo oil pressure senders - wobs

i lost all dash about 6 months ago and looked on some forums someone suggested the default pc fix of turn it off and on again i.e unpluggin the battery for half hour then popping it back on hey ho it worked all dash back then yesterday on way home the oil light came on and beeped at me so i tickled the car home only a few minutes in this time the dash became erratic rev counter on and off etc anyway got it home and filled up on oil as was low as id been slack thought thatll stop it beeping but no it srarted after 10 seconds again so i tried the battery trick for half hour no joy left it off overnight popped it back on and hey presto fired her up rev counter worked no beeping or red light.....just saying