Dealer Incompetance ??? - ijws15
Back in September SWMBO ordered a Corsa Design to replace her current EOS from the local Vauxhall Dealer. Long story.

She has a personal number and the dealer were advised of this and asked us to put it onto retention before the car arrived to make taxing the new one on the personal number easier. So far so good - they appear to know what they are doing.

Car arrived at the dealer last Monday (12th November) and we made arrangements to collect the car on Saturday. Dealer had the retention certificate and we made use of Vauxhall's 7 days free insurance with the insurance starting last Wednesday to give them a chance to tax the car.

Dealer called last Friday, "We cannot tax the car on your number, the on-line system won't let us do it"

I called DVLA helpline and they said they could do it at Shrewsbury but not on line. Called seller and told him this.

Another call from dealer "We don't have a paper V55 from Vauxhall" - Another call by me to DVLA and they said "no problem, Shrewsbury have blank forms they can fill in" - call dealer back aqnd ask to speak to principle who is not out. Speak to salesman and "ask" him to get someone to Shrewsbury to tax it.

Further call from salesman - Shrewsbury can do it but not "same day", will not be able to tax the car for Saturday! ! ! ! Accordingly SWMBO has to contact her insurer and incurs another admin charge arranging for her insurance switch on Saturday not to happen as planned. Collection was delayed until this coming Saturday (24th)

15 minutes later the dealer principal returns my call . . . . what had started off as a complaint that I was having to do the sorting out they promised to do had grown into something much bigger! He was not aware of the issue and promised to look into it. I reminded him that they only had seven days insurance from Vauxhall and that if they missed that window they would have to extend the seven days insurance.

Salesman called yesterday "Have you got an insurance certificate for the new car?"

I told him we had (the one that started at 14:00 last Saturday but that it was no longer valid (relaced by one for the current car when the pick up was delayed). I then reminded him that I had told the dealer principle that they were to sort it out if they missed the window. Aparently they still do not have a paper V55 from Vauxhall and they cannot use the blanks Shrewsbury have! They say the V55 was sent byu Vauxhall on Monday "Special Delivery" and it has not arrived - Must be with the child benefit discs! Looks like they will not be able to tax the car for this Saturday either.

Questions:
Can you tax a car with a personal number (on retention) using a handwritten V55 as DVLA helpline say or do you need the manufacturer produced one?

Is the dealer telling porkies?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/11/2007 at 17:43

Dealer Incompetance ??? - cheddar
She has a personal number and the dealer were advised of this and asked us
to put it onto retention before the car arrived to make taxing the new one
on the personal number easier. So far so good - they appear to know what
they are doing.

Are they taking the old car as p-ex? If so what they should have done is transferred the number from old to new for you, otherwise if your ownership of both cars is going to overlap (i.e. you are not selling the old one prior to the new one being delivered) they still could have done this which would have made life easier, all they needed was the details of your old car and the VIN of the new one from Vauxhall to put things in motion in advance.

I dont know about the V55 though I would expect that the DVLA would more so than the dealer.
Dealer Incompetance ??? - Robbie
I've never had a problem with any of my cars. The dealer has transferred the number to the new car without any problems.

There was one time when the Liverpool office insisted on seeing the car that the number was being transferred from - that was in 1994 - and the dealer, Lookers, took my old car down on a trailer.
They eventually managed to sort it out yesterday after much complaining to the dealer principle!

It is a like for like swop but they asked us to do it this way! In the past we drove in in one car and drove out in another, both with the same number (the second Audi dealer did struggle and needed some guidance). The exception was last time when the A2 was written off and Volswagen were given the retention certificate and soreted it without problems.

I did have to take out a seven day free insurance policy from Vauxhall because they had not got it sorted before the one my wife had taken out had lapsed. I had to say that I will be the main driver - not an issue because the car will never be driven on this policy.

They have offered twice to put more fuel into the car (supposed to be full in the first place as part of the deal.
Dealer Incompetance ??? - Pugugly {P}
Never had a problem until this later change. I had to put my old plate onto retention until next month, delaership paying for the inconvenience.
Things go from bad to worse . . . . .

Collected the car yesterday, left with SWMBO in tears and almost left the car with them.

No mats in car as promised - she asked for the price when ordering the car and was told they were included.

Invoice does not reflect the agreed prices, they have discounted the new car although the only price negotiation was on the trade in price! This means we would get a lower gap payout if the car was written off.

No gesture to offset them screwing up the registration and delaying the collection by a week which cost us addtional administration charges from the current insurer - not even a bunch of flowers!
Dealer Incompetance ??? - cheddar
Did they honour the mats?

This means we would get a
lower gap payout if the car was written off.

IMO the write off value would be the replacement cost at the time, the invoice is n/a.

Edited by cheddar on 26/11/2007 at 08:00

Dealer Incompetance ??? - oilrag
Didn`t they give a pro forma invoice on ordering the car with all the details on it?

(i don`t know if thats the norm as have bought from the same dealer for years...but everything, even the mats have been listed on ours, everything agreed in the deal)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 26/11/2007 at 08:01

They gave us an order but the salesman was in a hurry (late Saturday afternoon) and said he was going to fill the details in later!

Did not show much but the basic car details and the value of the cheque they were going to give us!

I spoke to him about 10 days ago and he confirmed that the invoice would be list!
Dealer Incompetance ??? - oilrag
Really sorry to hear of your situation, it sounds like you have let them control things, from not getting it all in writing, knowing the deal was not as agreed and yet still accepting the car.
Why would you hand over the money and accept the car and then state dissatisfaction for the deal?
Its just that accepting the car and signing the deal to their own figures totally de-powers you IMHO.
Perhaps the best thing is to put this behind you and concentrate on the virtues of the new car.
Mats are cheap and you are likely to get a set if you approach the sales manager nicely.

Hope things improve and you enjoy your new car.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 26/11/2007 at 09:06

Correction to earlier post - it did have the value of the cheque on it. They tried to move trade in and new car prices down to suit themselves but in these days of RTI Gap it was not acceptable to us.

They have corrected the invoice and provided the mats.

Still have not told us about Vauxhall Assistance though! Blank card in handbook folder.

They won't be getting the servicing.