99 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - Big I
My son owns a 99 vreg Astra 1.7Td ( Vauxhall engine ) and it is really bad to start 10-15 secs on key,hot or cold,but once started it runs drives perfect.It has done only 75000mls with FSH.It has recently fitted glow plugs.Have noticed it blows alot of black smoke when it starts,but it clears after that.There is no engine management lit.Any ideas Guys ?

SLT to reflect year and version

Edited by Webmaster on 20/11/2007 at 23:18

99 Astra 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - Screwloose
Big 1

It may have had new glow-plugs; but are they working? Has anyone tested for feed to them?
99 Astra 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - bathtub tom
Does the glow-plug warning light work?
Does he wait for it to extinguish before trying to start it? Many people don't.

I once asked a diesel owner, who complained of poor starting, why he didn't wait for the glow-plug warning light to go out. He replied "you don't have to, it's all automatic" (:>~
99 Astra 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - Big I
No Screwloose,feed has not been tested,but glow plug light on dash comes on with ignition then goes out after 2-3 secs.Onlything if it was a faulty feed,would it not just start bad from cold & not when its hot? The car is poor starting even once warmed up.
99 Astra 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - jc2
Air leak in fuel supply??
99 Astra 1.7td (Vauxhall Engine) - Bad starter - Big I
jc2,have made checks on fuel lines to pump/injectors,cant see anything looking like an air leak,could there be some type of air lock in the fuel system?Excuse my ignorance,i have,nt had much to do with diesels before lol.