Aftermath of Cam Belt etc. Change - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Had the cam belt changed on my Passat TDI 100ps for the second time at 106,000 miles plus the various ancillaries this time around.
Total bill was £476 to include the lubrication service. 4.5 hours of labour at £45 ph.
On advice from this site, the water pump was changed as well.
Inspected all the old parts afterwards.
The water pump showed no visible signs of deterioration, albeit was ?only? £20 plus vat.
The cam belt was slightly worn but no damage apparent.
The tension pulley damper was in a bad way. One end had been rubbing on an auxiliary belt and several grooves had been cut in it. A loose bush allowed this free play. If that had broken altogether?. This assembly cost £81 plus vat.
Seems that there are more things than water pumps to worry about on this engine.

Also got an advisory to change the EGR valve at £189 all in. It is dribbling oil. Why?

Aftermath of Cam Belt etc. Change - horatio
I'l be interested to see what people say about your EGR valve, I can only comment on the one I have seen on a Fiat Marea. The EGR pipe comes from the engine manifold round to join onto the air intake duct. Inside the air intake duct it is filthy with oil, so it could be that your oil is making its way past the gasket, requiring a gasket renewal, other than that I can see no reason for an oil leak from an EGR valve.

Unless your oil is dribbling from the top vacuum pipe attachment, in which case that logically would mean your EGR valve has broken somehow allowing the oil from the air intake duct to be sucked through by the vacuum pipe. In which case, yes, a new EGR valve would be a good idea.

But if I were you, I'd go to a scrap yard (friendly VW parts counter - will tell you all the cars the part has ever been fitted to) and get a second hand one, and fit it myself (easy).

and don't forget Audis and Skoda and Seat cars all share the same parts.

Edited by horatio on 14/11/2007 at 13:38

Aftermath of Cam Belt etc. Change - Hamsafar
EGR valves of many somewhat older turbodiesel cars weep oil from the weep hole.

Aftermath of Cam Belt etc. Change - 659FBE
The cambelt damper problem is common, which is why it was deleted and the design changed on more recent PD engines. I'm glad you caught it.

There are two routes for oil to reach the EGR valve. The engine crankcase breather joins the intake system near the compressor intake and carries oil with it. A further source of oil is the turbocharger itself via the shaft seals.

If your engine is running well, I'd take a visibly oily EGR valve with a pinch of salt. These seem to vary a lot - I have a theory that an engine which has been thrashed a bit in its youth will carry less "blowby" oil via the breather. The factory fill of synthetic oil may make these engines difficult to run in properly - yours is obviously well past this stage.

Similarly the Garrett turbochargers are very reliable on these engines as long as the vanes don't stick (they can be freed).

If your PD runs well and doesn't use (say) more than 0.5l oil per 1000 miles. I'd leave well alone.