Computer Related Questions - Volume 142 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 143 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 142. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/11/2007 at 13:00

Firewall Question from Volume 141 - Clk Sec
My thanks to L?escargot, jbif, Stuartli and JH for their replies to my firewall question on the previous volume.

Clk Sec
Firewall Question from Volume 141 - malteser
The Norton removal tool, (available from Symantec's web site), will get rid of nearly all the bits left over from a regular uninstall.

Other free firewalls do exist!
Jetico Firewall v1 is now free and runs pretty lightly.(NOT for VISTA)
Online Armor, (NOT VISTA ready) which despite the spelling, is from Australia, has a free version which has done very well in leak testing and incorporate a HIPS element. (Google for HIPS for an explanation!)
Comodo now have version 3 as a release candidate. It also incorporates very powerful protection, (Defence Plus), which if turned on incorporates HIPS and lots of process protection. It takes a while to train it, so if you are not comfortable with pop ups asking for your decision, perhaps its best to use the previous version, v2, which is less "noisy", but very nearly as powerful in the firewall element.
PC Tools also have a free firewall which is Vista compatible.
Webroot also have a free firewall, too.
I have not yet tried the latter two.

As far as Anti- virus applications are concerned, I currently use NOD32, but when my licence expires I'll probably switch to Avast! free. It does much better in malware detection than AVG.
I may well also use a separate HIPS program, I've just downloaded Threatfire free. Finally I do recommend Comodo BOClean, another free application. This will not prevent the download of trojans, keyloggers and such, BUT if they try to execute their nastiness, it will stop them in their tracks.
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/11/2007 at 12:52

Firewall Question from Volume 141 - JH
At the risk of causing confusion, Antivir, www.free-av.com/ came out top in the free category in a recent test of antivirus software (Pc Pro) beating some of the "pay for" competition.
JH
Firewall Question from Volume 141 - malteser
Yes, Avira PE, (the free version) is an excellent anti virus. The only reason I did not mention it is that there has been much comment about the unreliability of the updating of the virus signatures.
This problem, I believe, only applies to the free version as the update servers are heavily congested and Avira are, understandably, reluctant to commit more bandwidth to a free product.
Their "paid for" product has preferential access for updating, and for a quality anti virus is remarkably cheap!
--
Firewall Question from Volume 141 - Clk Sec
Thank you Malteser and JH.

Clk Sec
Firewall Question from Volume 141 - drbe
The Norton removal tool (available from Symantec's web site) will get rid of nearly all
the bits left over from a regular uninstall.

I have used the Norton removal tool, but it does appear that bits may be left behind.

e.g. Norton Security - with logo - appears on the Yahoo! toolbar, how do I remove that and any other bits that may be around?
Firewall Question from Volume 141 - Stuartli
I got rid of Norton 2006 on a friend's computer by doing all the usual and then concluding by running the Norton Removal Tool.

But it's a long standing problem - Google has more than a million references on the subject with just a straightforward query on how to remove it...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Taskbar notifications - L'escargot
I customise the taskbar notifications to my requirements but every so often the antispyware/antivirus icon changes of its own accord from being "Always show" to being "Hide when inactive".

How can I stop it changing like this?

It's only a minor annoyance but I don't like to think it's beaten me. I've got XP Home Edition with SP2.
--
L\'escargot.
Taskbar notifications - adverse camber
antispyware/antivirus

which one ? Thats like saying 'I have a warning light on my car'
>> antispyware/antivirus
which one ?

Webroot Spy Sweeper with Antivirus version 5.5.7.103
--
L\'escargot.
Taskbar notifications - Stuartli
Right click on the Start button>Properties>Taskbar tab and Disable (uncheck) the Hide Inactive Icons box.
What's for you won't pass you by

Edited by Stuartli on 13/11/2007 at 21:24

Taskbar notifications - jbif
Right click on the Start button>Properties>Taskbar tab and Disable (uncheck) the Hide Inactive Icons box.

So is that not what L'escargot has been doing all along anyway?

So is that not what L'escargot has been doing all along anyway?>>

Reading it again, you are probably right...:-)

Perhaps the Apply button plus OK button have not been done in sequence or singly?

It will most likely be something simple - perhaps a case of not seeing the wood for the trees (I should know!)
........ Disable (uncheck) the Hide Inactive Icons box.

If I uncheck the "Hide inactive icons" box, the "Customize" box greys out and I can't make changes. After making changes I click on "Apply" before clicking on "OK" ~ is that not the correct sequence?
--
L\'escargot.
Yep, that's the correct sequence...:-)

Mind you I use (and prefer) the Classic Start menu; perhaps you are using the XP version which might work slightly differently?
Open DNS - malteser
I'm currently trialling this free service and subjectively, it does seem to access and load pages more quickly.
It's simple to set up either on a PC or a router as the web site has clear instructions!
Has anyone else had experience of it, good or bad, and are there any issues about which one should be aware?
Site here:- tinyurl.com/hh7zu
--
Open DNS - adverse camber
I've been using it for ages. Faster now they have european servers.

Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage - Robbie
This is happening more frequently and seems to be more common on certain websites. This is one of them.

When I check Diagnose Connection Problems the result is that my connection is fine. I downloaded Firefox to see if IE was the problem but it was the same.

Has anyone any idea what is causing the problem or is it the Internet and I can do nothing?
Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage - adverse camber
Interestingly that could be down to DNS.

Whats your dns server?
Virgin Media.

I don't think it's the DNS because it will happen when I'm moving between posts.
Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage - smokie
All kinds of possible reasons. I was having this issue at the weekend (also Virgin) but a bit of research showed it was my router responding too slowly. Again, that can be all kinds of things - in my case some very heavy LAN traffic seemed to be causing it. But IE (and other browsers) time out if they haven't received the page in a set period.

When it's happening, open a DOS window (Start/Run, type CMD) then type tracert www.targetsite.com. That shows the "hops". The response time is shown to the left of each hop. Long response time (or stars, i.e. no response) might help pinpoint the problem.

I am trying the OpenDNS product mentioned above and it seems prety good. Certainly Virgin have occassional slow responses from their DNS servers.

btw it could be DNS, moving between posts is pretty much the same process as moving between sites.

Edited by smokie on 14/11/2007 at 00:25

Thanks smokie. I'm also trying that Open DNS Server so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Robbie
I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - buzbee
Any help please?

When I installed my BounceBack USB backup software it insisted I install an ASP-something or other.

That changed my boot-up XP pro desktop screen from opening straight to a working desktop -- I am the administrator and there were no other accounts-- to a screen showing my account name and a second one named ASP.NET. So, now I have to click my account name and then it loads my settings and then opens the desktop.

How can I get it back to opening to a working desktop?

I have looked at Control-panel--User-accounts but can't find anything to tweek that does it.
I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - Altea Ego
www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
------
< Ulla>
Thanks for that. I will download the fix and try it.
hmmm. Tried the service pack 1.1 install solution and the boot logon screen is still the same so I guess I will have to try the second solution, the manual fix. Probably tomorrow.
I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - Victorbox
My experience with Netframe versions 1.1, 2 & 3 is you get the logon problem if Netframe 1.1 gets installed by an application out of sequence with the other Netframe versions. I fixed my problem by uninstalling all of the Netframe versions on my Windows XP PC - in my case Netframe 1.1, the 1.1 hotfix & versions 2 & 3 using Add/Remove Components in Control Panel. Then using Windows Update I reinstalled each one in the sequence it came out (with a reboot in between each install) i.e. version 1.1, then let Windows Update offer the update to 1.1, then install Netframe 2 & 3 if you really need them.
Installing the TVM (Ulla) MS hotfix removed the NET logon icon but left the rest of the coloured screen that still required me to click my user icon (the only user!). However TVM's second reference worked. That requires you to do a Start-Run userpasswords2 then remove the tick to use passwords and click OK. Then you pick your name on the next screen as the user, and you can leave the password window blank.

A re-boot then boots up to an MS coloured screen that says "Loading your settings" or similar and, eventually, the usual desktop with its icons appears.

I am not clued up on nets, but I also have 1.1 and 2.0

A side effect has been that my AVG threw a message that it "failed to initialise". I think it is the update it is referring to and I then did it manually. I will wait and see if that problem is cleared up by the updates before trying a re-install of that.

TVM-Victorbox, thanks for the help.
I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - billy25
>>I have looked at Control-panel--User-accounts but can't find anything to tweek that does it.

strange, as this site shows, that is exactly where you go to delete surplus user accounts,

tinyurl.com/ljns

The only user account you cant delete is an admin account, make sure your downloads dont delete this accidently.
Billy25.

The ASP.NET account Icon on the desktop was caused by the NET 1.1 software that was required by the Bounce Back, back-up, software I was installing! So why would I delete the ASP.NET account? Are you saying doing that would not affect the 1.1 NET software?

All I wanted was for the PC to open to my desktop, rather than have to click an icon and then wait for my settings to load.

Anyway, BB caused me so much hassle I have, yet again, un-installed it. BB was nice enough, in that you could set up several backup procedures each under a different name. So you could both synchronise a complete disk and also leave alone some of the folders backed up elsewhere, in case you inadvertently deleted something that got sychronised (also lost) in your backup.

It is what BB did elsewhere. I could have tried Victorbox's suggestion but in the end I settled for a restore back to where everything was working properly. I think I would rather put the effort into using other proven (?) software.

So, any recommendations for back-up software that does not require installing net 1.1 or other such old software? Allways Sync has been suggested so far.

I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - Stuartli
Just for reference. iNET Framework 3.5 is now available (beta) which also addresses some bugs in versions 2.0 and 3.0:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=...n
I have ASP.NET as a new user account ! ! - Stuartli
NB

It's a 137MB download...:-)

Sorry about the URL - didn't realise it was such a long one and too late to alter using TINYUrl...:-(
BT Broadband Socket Connection - stackman
We have recently changed to BT Broadband home hub. The router box is plugged into the master BT socket next to the PC. All the extension lines for the house run from this socket as well.

The broadband will not connect unless you remove the lower-front panel of the BT socket and plug the line into the socket inside (as I was advised to do by the BT broadband helpline). This however means that the extension phones will not work.

I have disconnected the internal wiring from the extension phones and plugged the front panel back on and the broadband works.

I have replaced the front and back panels for the master socket, connected the wires and the problem persists, therefore I do not think that the socket itself is the problem so there's no point calling BT out.

It would appear that there is something in the way the extension wiring is connected that prevents the broadband working. Even if I disconnect all the phones/appliances from the extension sockets I get no broadband. The wiring for the extensions appears to be correct according to a couple of websites I have looked at.

It's driving me to distraction. Does anyone have any knowledge which might enlighten me ?

BT Broadband Socket Connection - rtj70
You have the micro filters plugged in for the phones don't you?
BT Broadband Socket Connection - stackman
Yes, I have microfilters plugged in but even when I disconnect all of the phones, skybox etc. the problem remains.
BT Broadband Socket Connection - buzbee
You could try plugging into the master socket one of the T pieces that has one unfiltered output for a phone plug and one ditto for a ADSL plug. Then plug your modem into the ADSL one and check it is working before experimenting with plugging in a phone plus filter into the phone socket. Try other filters.

Surely that will sort it?

If that does not work perhaps the connection joints are not very good such that when you plug a phone in you are losing the signal due to a poor connection. This is also suggested by you having to take the cover off and use the inside connection.

What about the connection box outside? Has that got a poor connection.

Edited by buzbee on 16/11/2007 at 17:58

BT Broadband Socket Connection - adverse camber
sounds like a wiring problem with your extensions.

You say that all the extensions come from this socket? How many sets of wires are coming in and are they all wired the same way? And how are they wired - how many wires?

I would connect them back up one at a time and see when things stop working which should ID the problem cable run.

BT Broadband Socket Connection - JH
I agree with AC. Before you resort to ripping up floorboards though, try www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php or if the link misbehaves select ADSL info, Improve your speed.

I found a significant improvement in s/n ratio by making the suggested changes to the master socket, repeating them on the remaining socket didn't make things any better.

Do one at a time as ac says.

JH
BT Broadband Socket Connection - L'escargot
Are you perhaps somehow overloading the system?

My solution, admittedly purely for neatness, was to replace the lower half of the BT "NTE5" master box with a Solwise ADSL-NTEFACE faceplate splitter. tinyurl.com/799hv This eliminates the need for a filter at each phone socket. The extension socket for the modem is wired to the unfiltered terminals inside the box and the telephone sockets are wired to the filtered terminals of the splitter. You can check (to an extent) the installation by plugging a phone and/or the modem directly into the appropriate socket of the splitter.
--
L\'escargot.
Is there perhaps an intermittent bad connection between the plug at the back of the faceplate and the socket in the BT master box? Removing, refitting, and/or replacing the faceplate could conceiveably give different results each time you do it. The plug/socket terminals are very small and insubstantial.
--
L\'escargot.
BT Broadband Socket Connection - Galaxy
Make sure that the Sky Digibox goes through a microfilter, it needs to.

Many are directly connected to the phone line, which is fine if you haven't got broadband, but causes problems if you have.

Make sure all the extension cables are "twisted pair" type.
--
L\'escargot.
Have lost 'new' flags next to posts after a defrag - quizman
My son "defragged" my computer recently because it had gone a bit slow. It is now faster, but when logging onto HJ forums the red "new" sign doesn't appear. While on this website, if a new post appears, the red new sign does comes on.
Can anyone please tell me how to get the "new" signs back on. It is much better to read the site when you know what you have read before.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2007 at 18:43

Have lost 'new' flags next to posts after a defrag - Altea Ego
Your son also "cleaned up" your temporary internet files and your cookies from the sound of it.

Take one hand, take one son, slap son with hand.

Tell son to turn on your cookies for this site, but all your "past" red inforation is lost.

------
< Ulla>

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2007 at 18:43

Thanks Altea Ego, I will give him a good thrashing or perhaps not, he's stronger than me!
Just so I can do it, how does one turn on cookies for this site?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2007 at 18:44

Have lost 'new' flags next to posts after a defrag - Dynamic Dave
how does one turn on cookies for this site?

They must already be on, otherwise you wouldn't be able to log in and post. All should be back to normal on your next visit to the BR as a new cookie will have been created from your last visit and it will use that for flagging up 'new' posts.

Changed the title of your question, btw

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2007 at 18:44

Thanks DD, all is well today!
The best FREE Vista/XP,32/64 bit Firewall released - malteser
COMODO Pro firewall version 3 (final) is released today. It's FREE .
This is a state of the art, more than fully featured firewall, which has (optionally) more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at.
If you just want a basic, industrial strength firewall, just disable the "Defense Plus" element on installing it.
If you are paranoid about security, enable Defense Plus: it's worth taking a little time to "train" it to learn your safe programs, applications services etc.

Available here:- www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html

Forums here :- forums.comodo.com/index.php
--
The best FREE Vista/XP,32/64 bit Firewall released - JH
Thanks M, noted for future reference. Does it allow through credit card check pop ups? I'm trialing Kaspersky and it seems a bit over enthusiastic in that respect. Must look at the settings!
JH
Unwanted website - L'escargot
Just lately www.yesinsurance.co.uk has, unrequested, connected itself to my computer.
How do I stop it happening?
--
L\'escargot.
Unwanted website - Altea Ego
In what way? How do you know?
------
< Ulla>
It appears on another tab. I suspect, but have not yet confirmed, that it appears at the same time as I connect to www.homecheck.co.uk. So far it's happened twice.
--
L\'escargot.
Unwanted website - Stuartli
Sometimes it happens if you inadvertently click on a link when opening up a web page (such as homecheck.co.uk in this case).
Unwanted website - jbif
I believe it is a popup-popunder being served by a site that is very popular with backroomers! :-)

jbif, I think you may be right! I've just got another ~ this time ecarinsurance. I'm not complaining because I can (and do!) bin them unread with less effort than it takes to bin junk mail that comes through the letterbox. Does anyone read junk mail anyway?

--
L\'escargot.
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - mike hannon
Ever since eBay Uk introduced moving graphics on its motoring home page recently I have been quite unable to get to the cars or classic cars sections. All I get is a blank screen and a web address called altfarm@mediaplex.com - presumably some sort of ad that is blocking the system.
I've asked eBay for help but all I got was a badly written email in 'Bombay' English saying they were aware some users are having problems, together with the stock advice to clear the cache and check browser settings - none of which made any difference, of course.
Any ideas, anyone? I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for the disease of 'don't think I'll buy but I'll just keep an eye open'...
Mods - feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate if necessary. I wasn't sure if it is a general question, a computer question or just a motoring one.

Three line whip ! Moved into Computers !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/11/2007 at 19:40

Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - Hugh Watt
Just checked, using IE7, and yup, just scrolling blank windows. Tried accessing via Firefox and also Opera, and guess what, no problems. I'm normally a Microsoft loyalist, but...
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - bell boy
i looked at this section last night with no problems but as said i am another that also uses opera............spreead theee word

tinyurl.com/5kse

Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - jbif
It is probably an entry in the the WINDOWS-system32-drivers-etc folder "HOSTS" file. Or it is the use of an adblocker such as Spybot S&D or Spywareblaster, that is blcoking the adfarm site.

Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - Carse
I have just accessed the page no porblems using Internet Explorer, but the page is very graphic rich and it takes the page about 20 seconds to fully render and I am accessing the site via my company LAN.

Carse
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - Altea Ego
Fine here on IE6, none of this adaware, spysweeper, spybot, firewall chastity belt garbage.

------
< Ulla>
Fine here on IE6, none of this adaware, spysweeper, spybot, firewall chastity belt garbage.

Which is why you get the full Monty, and those with their chastity belts know they are missing something but don't know what experience they are really missing. ;-)

BTW - Why are you not on IE7? It is so good that MS have now made it available freely direct even to pirates, not saying that you are a pirate obviously. After an initial learning curve, I am finding IE7 so much better than Fierefox2 or IE6, particularly with the MS approved IE7pro add-on.

Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - nick
No problem with AOL, takes a little longer to load now but that's all.
I run ie7 at home. Whats the add-on?
------
< Ulla>
What's the add-on? Here it is
www.windowsmarketplace.com/category.aspx?bcatid=35...0
and
www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?itemid=340...8
IE7Pro is an add-on for IE 7 which adds lots of features and extras to make your IE easier, more useful, secure and customizable. You can use IE7Pro as Tab Enhance, Super Drag Drop,Inline Search,Spell Check, Crash Recovery, Proxy Switcher, Mouse Gesture, user script, User Agent Switcher, AD Blocker and Flash Block. You can also refresh tab and scrolling webpage automatically, define your favorite website and search engine to alias.Version 1.2 adds rules counter, table filter.

Edited by jbif on 21/11/2007 at 14:40

sounds like another chastity belt to me
------
< Ulla>
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - J Bonington Jagworth
"It is so good that MS have now made it available freely"

I don't think that's the reason.. :-)

You might not guess it from my posts, but Opera's had spell checking for years.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 21/11/2007 at 15:11

>>I don't think that's the reason.. :-)

I think youand I both know that the reason is to try and stop the migration to other browsers. MS shot themselves in the foot when they blocked casual pirates from using IE7. The determined hackers had found a way round that block anyway, but others just went over to Firefox.

>>Opera's had spell checking for years
I have not tried Opera so cannot speak about its pros or cons. I do find the "Change zoom level" button in the bottom RH corner of IE7 to be quite useful at times on my native screen resolution of 1280x1024.
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - J Bonington Jagworth
"Change zoom level"

Opera's got that too!

I like it mostly because the email client is completely integrated, so the inbox is just another browser tab. I do have Firefox for the odd 'difficult' site, but Opera really is very slick. Nice skins available for it too.
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - cheddar
>>Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please>>

A month in The Priory should do it !
Can't waste time on eBay any more - help please - Hamsafar
eBay seem to be really pushing Firefox bundled with some sort of ebay plugin, Ever since then faults have started appearing with other browsers. Seems a bit of a coincidence. Works like a charm in Apple Safari 3, takes about a second to load the page for me on 2Mb Virginmedia, which is also available for Windows as well as Macs.
Spam emails - Lud
I get a lot of spam emails, especially on Fridays. I know a lot of the sources of this spam say you can stop further spam by clicking on something, but I don't do it because it doesn't seem to work and heaven knows where these tiresome spammers want to send you.

They are nearly always flagged as spam and obviously are, although real emails have been mistakenly flagged as spam once or twice. But I get tired deleting them all and having to empty the deleted items directory every couple of weeks. Is there any system for one basically hooked on Victorian technology, like most here of course but probably somewhat less attuned than younger people to the IT revolution and paradigm shift under way, that will cut down this spam flow?
Spam emails - Dynamic Dave
I know a lot of the sources of this spam say you can stop further spam by clicking on something but I don't do it....

Good, because 99.9% of the time it just confirms the email address is a valid one and you'll get even more.
Spam emails - L'escargot
You can get anti-spam software, some of it free like this one tinyurl.com/26qgwo How good these things are I don't know.
--
L\'escargot.
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - ijws15
Tried burning an MP3 disc last night using MS Media Player. Will play in the PC but not in the car.

Used an imation 80 min/700MB CD-R disc, these play OK with WAV files so it is not the disc but something to do with the way the MP3 is formatted.

Anyone know how to do this?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/11/2007 at 18:44

Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - John S
I've burned several CD-R (and CD-RW) using Nero (just used the 'make MP3 CD' option) and they work fine in a CD30 MP3. Have you an alternative burning programme?

JS
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - Peter D
Are you sure it was a closed session burn. Regards Peter
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd double check you are actually burning MP3 files, MS media player produces WMAs by default, you used to have to pay extra for MP3 burn, not sure in WMP11. I'd also try burning at a lower speed, in addition to suggestions already made.
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - SpamCan61 {P}
You may also find this thread useful, came across whilst trying to find the MP3 bitrate spec. for the CD30:-

www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/uk-cars/3476/Vauxhall...D
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - Altea Ego
WMP11 will burn MP3's without buying anything else, but its set to WMA (and thereby DMR) by default.

did they burn to a folder? whats the folder name? some car mp3's are fussy about naming convention (ie no long file names)
------
< Ulla>
Files are definitely MP3 - 12 or 13 discs onto 1.

Options set to a lower rate than shown in the radio book as maximum.

Will look at the link and probably try with Nero tonight.

Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - bell boy
it might be down to the poor quality of the discs you are using and or the player being a poor reader
i have the same problem in my nissan and no way will it play cdrw at all at all
Burning MP3 Discs - CD30 MP3 - adverse camber
80 minute is bigger than the 'standard'

given how tempramental many car players are I would use try normal media
It DOES play 80 minute home produced discs with WAV files on them!
Update on Burning MP3s for Vauxhall CD30MP3 - ijws15
Finally got one to work. Used Nero, 80 minute Memorex disc and burnt as data - following the "burn MP3" option in Nero doesn't seem to work nor does Media Player 11.

SWMBO now has a disc in the CD player with 101 tracks.

All I need to do now is to work out how to put albums on in folders!

Will also try this process with the Imation discs tried originally and see if they work - at lease CDRs are cheap.
Read Only Computer Files - bintang
I copy the contents of My Documents to my CD as a backup. When I try to delete a file from the CD it prevents me, saying the file is Read Only. How can I get round this please?

{Shoves across from the IHAQ thread - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/11/2007 at 13:44

Read Only Computer Files - adverse camber
CD or CDWR?

CD is a write once media. Deleting is writing.
CD or CDWR?
CD is a write once media. Deleting is writing.

The disk box is labelled "CDRW"
Read Only Computer Files - bell boy
you cant delete a file from a cdrw ,what you can do is as you have done delete it but its still on the disc
how to get rid of it?
re-format the whole disc
how to get rid of it?
re-format the whole disc

That is what I do but it takes a long time. Anyhow, thanks to you and others for comments.
Read Only Computer Files - Stuartli
>>CD is a write once media>>

In normal use, yes. But in multisession form you can keep adding to a CD-R until it is full.
Read Only Computer Files - Stuartli
If you use InCD (included in Nero packages, but has to be installed separately in Nero8), you can use a formatted CD-RW or DVD-RW disk in the manner of a floppy disk.

See the manual for details:

www.uwm.edu/IMT/Info/nero/incd4.pdf

Edited by Stuartli on 26/11/2007 at 16:34

Outlook problem update - Statistical outlier
You may recall that I had a problem with Outlook that looked as if it was caused by Avast Antivirus. Outlook would freeze and it would appear that the Avast plug-in had caused the crash.

After some pretty laborious detective work, with the help of a friend in the IT profession, it turned out that it was Windoze Live Search that was crashing. As soon as this was reemoved, the problem with Outlook was gone, and the whole PC is far faster - it had clearly been corrupt for a while.

Thought that this might be useful if anyone else is ever tracking a weird malfunction.
PC System Check-Up - Clk Sec
Does anyone know of an independent system check-up that I can run on my PC which is similar to the one offered by Zone Alarm ?

Thanks.

Clk Sec
PC System Check-Up - Dynamic Dave
No idea what the zone alarm one does, but there's this one:-

www.pcpitstop.com

PC System Check-Up - billy25
Try this! you can download and evaluate it free for 30 days whilst you decide if you want to buy it or not. i bought the "industrial version" when it was at version 3! and i still use it religously today. loads of tools and toys, i find it very good.

www.iolo.com/downloads.aspx

Billy
p.s
sys mech 7, the basic version without the internet tools is the one you want.

Edited by billy25 on 28/11/2007 at 01:26

PC System Check-Up - Stuartli
Presumably you mean some form of Internet security check rather than "system performance check" as ZoneLabs doesn't offer the latter type of service (such as that offered at PCPitStop)?

Edited by Stuartli on 28/11/2007 at 08:48

PC System Check-Up - Clk Sec
Ideally I?m looking for something similar to this, so that I can compare results.

tinyurl.com/33hq7d

Clk Sec
PC System Check-Up - L'escargot
If the ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint check finds a problem do you get pestered by them to buy a solution?
--
L\'escargot.
PC System Check-Up - jbif
The zonealarm free system checkup is by IOLO systems.
www.iolo.com/sm/freeapp/brands/zonealarm/
"© 2007 iolo technologies, LLC. All rights reserved. System Checkup? is a trademark of iolo technologies, LLC. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Note: System Checkup analyzes a system to produce results that relate to potential PC health and security problems. The resulting data is anonymously transferred to a web server maintained by iolo technologies for use in the creation of a visual report and as part of a collective study of global computer issues aimed at allowing iolo to further study such trends. The information transmitted in no way contains and in no way can be linked to any personally identifiable information. "
As it cannot be linked to you personally, I do not see how they can pester you to buy their products.
PC System Check-Up - adverse camber
you mean like shields up?

Go to www.grc.com

look for the Shields up reference - thereis a load of other stuff, but ignore it and just go through to the shields up page.

It will do a port scan on your pc