70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - RaineMan
A friend says he owned a Leyland car in the seventies than was rather an insepid colour. He is trying to remember the name. It was a single word stating with an 'H' and not Honey. Anybody remember the name?

SLT

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/11/2007 at 13:24

Colour starting with 'H' - OldSock
Heliotrope?
Henna?
Colour starting with 'H' - Round The Bend
Hurl ?

Well they were quite horrid back then!
H'orange?

That's enough from me :-)
Colour starting with 'H' - Jonathan {p}
hoary
haematic
hyacinthe
Colour starting with 'H' - davidh
Leyland did a Harvest Gold which was pretty rank beige colour but thats two words.
Colour starting with 'H' - davidh
Heres another one:-

Hearing (as in aid)
Colour starting with 'H' - bell boy
Hemmeroid?
Colour starting with 'H' - mss1tw
Hemorrhage
Colour starting with 'H' - bell boy
holy
Colour starting with 'H' - greenhey
Harvest?
Colour starting with 'H' - madf
Horrible.
madf
Colour starting with 'H' - Clk Sec
Hogwash.

Was that a colour or what Leyland gave me when I complained of a juddering clutch?

Clk Sec
Colour starting with 'H' - Dynamic Dave
A friend says he owned a Leyland car in the seventies

Care to narrow it down a bit by telling us which model?
Colour starting with 'H' - milkyjoe
hummus
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Screwloose
RM

Assuming that your friend means a BL Group colour: surprisingly few colours starting with an H are listed in a contemporary Valentine tinters book. [I knew that old book would come in handy one day.]

The only ones listed that haven't already been mentioned are:-

Highway yellow
Honolulu
Honeysuckle

If he could remember the make and the basic colour; red, green etc. then it would be possible to list all those available on that particular year.

70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - billy25
Honeysuckle! that was the colour of my 1974 Triumph 2.5PI, (creamy yellow) i didn't think Triumph were BL?
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - L'escargot
Have a browse through here. tinyurl.com/2uatgz The only one I could find was Harvest Gold.
--
L\'escargot.
i didn't think
Triumph were BL?

You're kidding?
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Clk Sec
i didn't think Triumph were BL?

They sure were.

Clk Sec
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Falkirk Bairn
Harvest Gold was the colour I am sure - neighbour had a fetching Morris Marina in that colour in about 1973. What did it loook like? Rough match with a bag of sick
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - L'escargot
Triumph were bought by Leyland in 1961. tinyurl.com/3x2kfy I'm not sure whether it was called British Leyland Motor Co. at that time or what.
--
L\'escargot.
L'escargot

Austin, Morris, MG, Riley and Wolseley were the original BMC brands - IIRC [it was a long time ago.]

Rover and Triumph got added to make BLMH somewhere along the line. Then they changed it to British Leyland, then BL Cars, then Leyland Cars, before Austin-Rover became Rover then morphed into MG-Rover.

I've probably missed out a few; they've had more regenerations than Dr Who.
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Altea Ego
Harvest gold was a colour that was a direct shade between dog poo and nappy contents.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Lud
shade between dog poo and nappy
contents.

>>
...with just a dash of 'unpleasant buff-coloured puke' (Flann O'Brien/Myles Na Gopaleen)
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Round The Bend
BMC and BL merged in 1968.
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - isisalar
harvest gold is a beautifull shade of lager puke green
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - billy25
Well i never!.... no wonder Triumph died then! - interesting link bookmarked for nostalgic reasons!

Billy
Not sure from when but the Standard-Triumph Motor Co Ltd was part of British Leyland in 1969.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 02/11/2007 at 15:23

70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - mike hannon
I seem to remember h'aubergine was a BL colour
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Cliff Pope
Triumph were bought by Leyland in 1961. >>

Triumph were bought by Standard in, I think, 1938. Standard-Triumph were then bought by Leyland.
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Cliff Pope
We haven't been told the car model yet. Give us a clue - what letter did it begin with?
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Pugugly {P}
Reveals all the dates in the website link above.
Just found a 2.6 litre automatic Marina,,,,,,,,now that would be fun in the wet !
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - RaineMan

I think this would be the Australian version with a six cylinder 2623cc E-series engine, Ideal for crusing in straight lines.

I spoke with my friend and he sure it was Henna. The car was a Marina although he had a number of Leyland cars including a Maxi and an Allegro.
IIRC there was a hhhhhhorrible insipid Leyland colour on Maxis, etc, called 'limeflower'.
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Another John H
IIRC there was a hhhhhhorrible insipid Leyland colour on Maxis etc called 'limeflower'.

On 1100's too - where the rust hadn't bubbled through.. I put countless cans of the stuff on mine to try and keep it looking like somebody owned it.

I never did find out where all the oil it used went to, as it didn't seem to come out of the exhaust, and there wasn't _that_ much on the floor.

Wasn't the ride odd too? Bounced along like Tigger on uneven roads.

/nostalgia
>Wasn't the ride odd too? Bounced along like Tigger on uneven roads.<

Maybe the hydrolastic system had been pumped up too far? I seem to remember the 1100-1300 had extremely good handling - far better than cart-sprung Cortinas etc - until the rear subframe punched through the floor...
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - bell boy
yes mike and i also liked the hydrogas type suspenion over fords of the time,only problem was i came out to my car one morning and it had a very unhappy list to starboard and there was bright green dragons blood in a big pool underneath the car :-(
happy days
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Altea Ego
the 1100 and 1300 had remarkable ride and road holding for the time.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - tr7v8
Just found a 2.6 litre automatic Marina now that would be fun in the wet
!

At one point the BL rally car was to be a Marina with a Rover V8, it went to the stage of being tried but the Dolly Sprint was decreed as the better option until the 7 came along.
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
I remember reading an article in Autocar or Motor about a V8 powered Marina Pick-up that was specially built for a customer in Saudi Arabia....
members.cox.net/oldertech/

Just found this thread, if you have any interest in our Automotive past read it, if only for the missed opportunities and yet....a couple of people keep the dream alive in the US. Fascinatingly Austin Marinas are selling at a premium there....says a lot I guess.
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Dynamic Dave
Anyone fancy a Morris 1500 in Gambier Turquoise, Aubergine, Bronze Beige, GTO Green, or Camino Gold?

www.elevenhundred.com/morris1500/colours.php
70s Leyland colour starting with 'H' - Pete M
Any chance I can put you all out of your misery? What about .... Heather ?
This was, believe it or not, a common colour on Jaguar Series 3 E-Types.
I think it's a very pale mauve.

Digging even further into the remains of my brain, I recall I had a Princess 2000HL in a very insipid metallic beige colour called (h)oyster. It was so insipid and anonymous that no-one ever seemed to see me approaching when I was driving it. For months I thought I had become invisible, then (heaven be praised) I sold it...
PS: I thought the very pale mauve often seen on E-types and XJ6s was 'lilac'. It was actually a very popular colour - well, it was the '70s - but odd that, of all the preserved Es and XJ coupes around, you never seem to see it now.
>>I recall I had a Princess 2000HL in a very insipid metallic beige colour called (h)oyster.

Thanks for that. I?ve been racking my brains since the beginning of this thread to remember the exact colour of a Maxi I bought in 1980. Of course, it was metallic oyster. But that was definitely more gold than beige.

Clk Sec