Different from C1 and 107? - mystery character
I?m considering buying a Citroen C1 or Toyota Aygo (I don?t like the styling of the Peugeot 107). The Citroen dealer that I visited claimed that the C1, Aygo and 107 are, with the exception of a few styling details, identical cars. However, a Toyota dealer claimed that, other than the floorpan, the shell of the Aygo is different from that of its PSA counterparts and is made from a thicker gauge of steel.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any truth in the assertion that the Aygo is built to a higher standard than the C1 and 107, or is it merely salesman talk?
Different from C1 and 107? - daveyjp
We have an Aygo. Bought simply because we prefer the styling and for the spec we wanted it offered the best value. Looking at all three cars I think the only external item shared are the doors.

Different lights etc mean the same bodyshell can't be used, but I suspect the tale about different steel gauges is sales patter, it was never mentioned to us when we were looking.

Better residuals was one reason given for choosing it over the others and at the time this was true.

Edited by daveyjp on 31/10/2007 at 13:24

Different from C1 and 107? - blue_haddock
I was working for toyota when the aygo was first released and never heard anything like this. As daveyjp says the different styling means different shells and panels so theoretically they could come from different suppliers who could use different gauge steel but i very much doubt this is the case. I would of thought such a thing would have a major impact on crash safety and so it would show in things like NCAP ratings.
Different from C1 and 107? - local yokel
Erin Baker's review in the Telegraph:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motor...l

"The physical differences between the 107, Aygo and C1 (as pictured below, from left) are purely cosmetic. All three share the same three-cylinder petrol engine (a 1.4 diesel arrives later this summer), brakes, suspension, five-speed manual gearbox (the Aygo has the choice of a semi-auto), glass hatchback and so on."

From www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-aygo-part-1-11-05...p

"The Aygo, C1 and 107 use the same Toyota designed floorpan and running gear and are built in £1bn investment factory funded jointly by PSA and Toyota."

Edited by local yokel on 31/10/2007 at 13:53

Different from C1 and 107? - Happy Blue!
Identical cars, identical engines, everythign the same except badges and front nose design I think.
Different from C1 and 107? - blue_haddock
when i first heard about the collaboration i wondered if the toyota would be built to french standard or would the french versions benefit from japanese build quality. From what i can make out it is definately built well although it is built to a budget.
Different from C1 and 107? - Mad Maxy
Everything is built to a budget!
Different from C1 and 107? - local yokel
They are all built in the Czech Republic ....
Espada - the rears are different too.

The factory uses Toyota manufacturing and management techniques.
Different from C1 and 107? - Bill Payer
Every now and then our local Citroen dealer has the C1 on a PCP at £99 deposit and £99/mth for 3 yrs.
If you didn't know anything about cars and just wanted something for around town or for back and to the station etc with hopefully no hassle and only routine servicing required, then that seems a pretty good deal to me. The most basic versions of such cars make more sense than the specced up ones.
BillPayer "just wanted something for around town" is exactly why we bought it. Our only other requirements were 5 doors and aircon. A colleague bought a 107 for exactly the same reason.

The only things our 'specced up' one has which could cause trouble are electric windows and remote central locking, we could do without the leccy windows, but not RCL, but you can't have one without the other.
Different from C1 and 107? - hxj

I have had a Aygo Blue 1.0 5 dr for a fortnight as a courtesy car, following an 'incident' with mine.

Around town with a couple of kids its great. Drives a bite a Go Kart and sounds like one!

On normal A roads on my own its not bad

On Motorways/Fast Dual Carriageways it's poor.

Colour is great, Space for 4 is good, Bluetooth is great, at 70 mph uphill it needs 4th and struggles with that.

Please don't do more than 20 miles in a day they asked, so far managed 750 with 200 tomorrow (not looking forward to that) and 100 on Friday ....

Apparently a bit needed for my car is on back order - could be another fortnight :-(
Different from C1 and 107? - gordonbennet
Great little cars the engines run well and pull strongly, and nothing really between the badges except you'll nearly always get better value with the Citroen version.

Diesel engine quite noisy and the petrol is so economical it may not be worth the extra

Do spec electric windows and central or find some different window winder handles as the ones fitted are so narrow you'll scrape you fingers raw or break nails (only on a saturday when i change persona, dont tell georgeous) using them.

And on the base model you'll have to use the key to unlock the bootlid evry time, annoying i would think.
Different from C1 and 107? - T Lucas
And strangely the 107 sells more than the other 2 brands put together.
Different from C1 and 107? - carl_a
And strangely the 107 sells more than the other 2 brands put together.

Toyota says that the factory produces equal numbers for each brand.
Different from C1 and 107? - Collos25
Thats Toyota speak for its a flop,for some reason all Toyota cars especially the Auris are selling extremely poorly in Germany.
Different from C1 and 107? - Mad Maxy

we could do without the leccy windows...

Eh, how else could you make the windows go up and down?? :-)
Different from C1 and 107? - boxsterboy
I cannot imagine that one factory making three ever so slightly different versions of the same car would use a higher grade steel on one rather than the other two. Complete and utter car-salesperson speak, to me!
I am still quite capable of turning a handle.

They don't have auto up or down and there is no switch for the passenger window on the driver's side so there is no real benefit from them being electrically operated.
Different from C1 and 107? - stevekay
I have this dilemna for a purchase in march next year. I am going for the base toyota aygo in Chili Red for the following reasons - its cheap, looks cute, has no extras on it ( ew, cl, ac ) and will depreciate the least over the next 3/4 years. I don't believe the steel is any different - I think its bolt-on panels that are different and thats just to allow for corporate styling cues.
I prefer 'good value for money' rather than 'cheap'!

We have had ours almost a year and although it's ages since I drove it (I just walk past it twice a day getting to my car, check tyre pressures, levels, wash it when I can be bothered etc) my wife hasn't mentioned any problems, so I assume all is OK.

The tax will be cheaper on renewal than when we bought it - that's a first. I'm almost looking foward to receiving the renewal notice!