Ecotek widget y/n? - Big Vern
Hi all

I am think of fitting an ecoteck widget ( www.ecotekplc.com/ ) to my 98 R 1.8 GLS Vectra, has anybody have any exeperince with these devices?
Ecotek widget y/n? - John S
Vern

Discussed on this site in the past. Recommendation was to stay clear. The arguments were on the lines of:

Manufacturers spend millions of pounds on design and testing to make their engines run efficiently and cleanly. Modern fuel injected and catalyst equpped engines use extremely sophisticated control systems to achieve this. Does it seem likely that a cheap, universal gadget will be either compatible with the engine management or give a major efficiency improvement on every different engine it's fitted to? If it was that easy the car makers would be doing it. After all reduced fuel consumption = reduced carbon dioxide = lower road or BIK tax = a good selling point.

General concensus was any apparent gains resulted from the owners subconciously adopting a different driving style. the words 'oil' and 'snake' appeared in a couple of posts, but not necessarily in that order.

Regards

John S
Ecotek widget y/n? - Big Vern
Manufacturers spend millions of pounds on design and testing to ....

They also put alot of effort into minimising cost and refineing processes to ensure the production is efficent as possible. In the real world where you are working for a commercial comapny the best design may not be the most powerful / efficent engine but a more cost effective / relaible / revenue generating /..... the list goes on..... a good case in point is the chipping market look at the success of Superchips and the like, are they all snake oils too?

Anybody out there actually tried it and rejected / liked it?

Anybody seen an article with B4 and after rolling road tests?
Ecotek widget y/n? - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Vern,

This is basically a calibrated air leak into the inlet manifold. As fuel mixture is largely controlled by the MAP (Manifold Vacuum) Sensor, it does not seem a good idea to mess with the vacuum in the manifold. Lower vacuum = richer mixture. We tested a similar device many years ago on a variety of vehicles and found no conclusive benefits.

Regards, Adam
Other sol'ns? - Big Vern
Hi Adam

Have you any other ideas (other than chiping) of how I can get rid of the flat spot around 3,000rpm that seems to dog these engines?
Other sol'ns? - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Vern,

Andy P speaks good sense. Also, take a look at the cross-section area of the throttle body (butterfly), then look at the size of the air entry into the air filter !! Have had good results from drilling some additional holes in the filter box on the "fresh air" side of the filter, simply to get better air volume into the box. There is also the option of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (search for a company called "Fuel Parts") but this simply ups the pressure at all loads and therefore tends to spoil mpg. After that, assuming all else is OK, chipping may be your only option, but again this often leads to bigger fuel bills.

BOL, Adam
Other sol'ns? - Armitage Shanks{P}
And bigger insurance biils (possibly)
Ecotek widget y/n? - Andy P
A couple of things I've used in the past that produced definite improvements were:

Switching to NGK triple-electrode spark plugs

Replacing air box/filter with a K&N 57i induction kit.

Both these made the car significantly more responsive. I guess it'll depend on the car (this was on an '89 Cavalier SRi).

Andy
Ecotek widget y/n? - Dizzy {P}
Vern,

Part of my work in engine design involved investigating, and having expertly analysed where necessary, umpteen widgets that usually came with 'conclusive and independent proof' that they worked wonders.

Unfortunately I cannot share the results of that work with you due to confidentiality obligations but I would not invest a penny of my own money in any aftermarket widget of this type.

Interesting that Ecotek think that 'swirl' and 'turbulence' are one and the same thing (paragraph commencing "Conventional combustion theory ...") when in fact they are quite different, and critically so when it comes to the efficient combustion processes that they claim to be experts in !!
Dizzy

Yes, I'd missed that one, but I was losing interest by then! I believe I'm right in thinking swirl is pretty important in the combustion chamber itself?

As for the test results quoted on the site - I was amazed by the report which reckoned thay had a car which would meet catalysed emissions from a carb. Do you think that's likely?

I'm sure I've seen this idea of a limited air bleed into the inlet more than once before. I imagine these devices actually worked on more than one occasion in the past where it was bolted on in desperation to a carb fed car runing too rich in the first place. On that topic, I notice many of the tests were on older carb equipped cars.

Regards

John S
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
Devices such as this may and I repeat may make a difference in one condition but the car manfacturer has to make a vehicle that will start both hot and cold ,run well both hot and cold,give reasonable fuel economy and meet government emission requirements and a number of other legal things.
John,

Swirl (i.e. smooth, directed, air motion) is usually vital in diesel engine combustion chambers. I'm not very conversant with the fine details of spark-ignition engine combustion but I expect that swirl is useful and perhaps essential here also. Maybe engines using squish don't need swirl? Or perhaps squish produces swirl?

Unfortunately different diesel engine speeds are likely to require different levels of swirl . Clever shaping of the combustion bowl can modify swirl to an extent for different engine speeds but some compromise is usually necessary.

One way of creating the initial swirl is to have the inlet port follow a helical path, a bit like a long-tailed comma. In a two-inlet-valve engine, one port can be helical and the other straight, perhaps with a butterfly valve in the helical port to partly or fully shut it off under certain conditions (I don't know if this is used in practice, due to its complexity). Or both ports can be helical, though helicals reduce air-flow efficiency compared with straight ports. The ports can be arranged to face the same direction into the combustion chamber so that they work together or can face towards each other so that an increase of air through the second works against the swirl being produced by the first as the air-flow increases.

Turbulent motion is of course a random multi-directional movement. In a diesel engine, turbulence is not wanted in the ports but is often encouraged in very specific and deep regions of the combustion chamber. It is very possible that turbulence is useful in the ports of certain spark-ignition engines to help atomise the fuel although I cannot for the life of me seeing it giving any significant improvement in the fuel consumption of a well-designed and properly working engine.

If an injector or carburettor is not mixing the fuel and air properly then there might be some gain from introducing turbulence, but as has already been said, two wrongs don't make a right. Another point - why should we go to the expense of fitting exhaust catalysts if this widget can get the same emission reductions? - and from a carb engine !!

Finally, I agree that this widget, or very similar, has been seen somewhere before. Did the Mangoletsi device work(?) on the same principle?
Ecotek widget - NO! - Dizzy {P}
I just found the following on a Land Rover Owner's forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 95 12:32:49
Subject: Re: Carb/Manifold screens

In the 1970's during the gas shortage, some tinkerers came up
with the idea of placing a platinum or stainless steel fine mesh screen between the carburetor and intake manifold.

I've never heard of a mesh screen being used here, but there was
a device made by Mangoletsi. It was a venturi fitting in much the same place, with a machined groove on the outside that bled outside air over the outside of the venturi.

It worked, but nearly all of its usefulness was because of the air leak weakening over-rich mixtures. At the time, almost every vehicle ran over-rich to improve cold-starting (petrol was cheap !)

I wouldn't recommend such a device, but with the thirst of Landies, a carb replacement by something more up-to-date will pay back its capital cost in a reasonably short time.

--
Andy Dingley

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ecotek widget y/n? - Daedalus
Dizzy,

Slightly off topic, but which web sites give a good background in engine design especially the newer novel engines such as the Joe Erlich design and Orbital etc?

Bill
Sorry, Bill, I can't think of any useful websites on engine design offhand. Will let you know if I find any.

I'd forgotten about the Orbital engine, I wonder how that project is going. It didn't give our own company any cause for concern but there were obviously some excellent ideas going into it. Australia seems to be a breeding ground for revolutionary engine designs, though 99% of them fail to make the big time.
Ecotek widget y/n? - SjB {P}
Another downside of devices like Ecotek, which I can't see having been mentioned above from a quick scan, is that in messing with vacuum, they render many fuel consumption 'computer' display devices useless, because the sensor(s) are no longer correctly calibrated.

/Steve
Ecotek widget y/n? - kithmo
I bought one last year and fitted it to my 2001 1.6 16v Astra. There were no pipes to cut as it fitted on the end of the purge valve pipe and I just had to add a 40 mm piece of pipe to the end. I gained a 20% benefit it mpg in all driving styles and conditions, it paid for itself in a short time. When I sold the Astra this year and bought a 2001 2.5 V6 Mondeo I transferred the Ecotek to this car. With the Mondeo there is very little difference in fuel consumption (less than 5% improvement) but the engine does feel more responsive.
Ecotek widget y/n? - Crombster
I was advised against one for my V6 Omega by one of their suppliers. I shared this wisdom with a forum on the web and was promptly emailed threatning legal action by the manufacturers who believed me to be lying.

I was most annoyed, however many months down the line the widget was finally tested on an Omega V6 by the manufacturer and found to be ineffective and as such not recommended.

I was most annoyed by the whole affair given I originally travelled 100 miles to buy the thing.

In saying that though I have heard of worthwhile improvements in VW Golfs.
Kith,

As I said in an earlier posting, the engine design and manufacturing company that I worked for analysed and tested umpteen widgets that were offered to us with 'proof' that they gave improvements in power, mpg and/or emissions. This 'proof' never materialised in scientific analysis or back-to-back testing and we didn't adopt any of them.

It would cost an engine maker but a few pence to make/buy most of these widgets. Do you not think that if a 20% improvement in economy was possible they would have been fitted on every engine made?

I'm sorry to be dismissive but I don't want backroomers wasting their money on these things based on flawed evidence.
Ecotek widget y/n? - Armitage Shanks{P}
Changing the line of this post slightly - what about these magnets that are put on fuel lines and correctly 'align' the fuel molecules for ideal combustion? Any user comments on these?
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
I agree with Dizzy;I worked for a major car manufacturer and over the years we have tested every device offered.The only way to test them scientifically is back-to-back testing on both an engine dyno and emission/fuel economy rolling road.Nothing showed any improvement-most showed a deterioration.
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
Superchips-yes you can boost the fuel going in-change the characteristics of turbo boost control and a number of other parameters-you won't get something for nothing.If it doesn't screw up economy or emissions ,what will suffer is long term durability-if you have the slightest suspicion that a vehicle has been chipped and it's been removed before you buy it,AVOID!!!
Dizzy,
I understand your disbelief, having tested so many widgets, but I am just stating the TRUE facts about my own experience of the Ecotek valve and had it not worked so well on the Astra I would be the first to complain and air my views in the backroom. On the other hand, had I bought it initially for Mondeo I would be in total agreement with you that it is of little benefit (and not worth the cost).
Here are the mpg figures for the Astra;
Before the Ecotek; Short journeys; 31 mpg, Long run 43 mpg
After the Ecotek; Short journeys; 37 mpg, Long run 52 mpg
That is a 19.4% improvement on short journeys and a 20.9% improvement on a long run.
Ecotek widget y/n? - Crinkly Dave
Engines (particularly the older type with carbs) tended to run richer that was required, and not have as much ignition advance as was possible. As they grow old they tend to run richer, as the carb wears. The widget would introduce extra air, particularly at idle and just off idle, where the mixture is usually richest.

I would not buy one, but if someone wants to loan me one for my 180k petrol 405, I am prepared to be convinced.
Kith,

I would expect I get that same sort of mpg variation according to the traffic on the road, steepness of hills, wind direction and strength, amount of passengers and luggage carried, tyre pressures, style of driving, climate (temperature, humidity, etc) and probably much more.

I don't disbelieve your figures for one moment, but to draw firm conclusions from on-the-road testing would require two cars of exactly the same specification and set-up to be driven in precisely the same manner alongside each other, with one being the modified car and the other being an unmodified 'control' car.

Assuming for the moment that there was a genuine improvement in the Astra's mpg, this could be the result of the widget masking a fault, in the same way that wearing ear defenders might mask the noise from an engine with big-end knock. If this is the case, I would rather correct the fault at source.
Kith,

Having glanced through this thread again (which started in May!) I tend to agree with Crinkly Dave and others who have suggested that this widget introduces more air to balance the excess of fuel caused by wear in the carburettor (thus it masks a fault as several have said).

So assuming the Astra had a worn carburettor, you probably did get better fuel consumption and I apologise for doubting your observations. However I think you'd agree that, had the cost of the widget had been put towards a replacement carburettor, the mpg and response is likely to have been even better because the fuel/air mixture would be properly controlled.
Ecotek widget y/n? - David Lacey
We are the Cheeky Girls.........doh! Too much Xmas MTV methinks!

MG-Rover Problems? Click on forums.mg-rover.org
Ecotek widget y/n? - Blue {P}
Worn carb on a 2001 1.6i Astra?! I knew there was a reason why I only buy Ford :)

Blue
Ecotek widget y/n? - Dynamic Dave
Worn carb on a 2001 1.6i Astra?!

The 2001 Astra won't have a carb. It will have single point injection. In fact any cars fitted with Cats won't have carbs.
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
Probably true in the UK,but in the earlier days of catalysts,USA,Japan(60/70's) and Germany (80's) there were many cars with carbs and cats.
Ecotek widget y/n? - David Lacey
Early Metros/Volvo 340's had carbs with cats - I could never see the point as it was an open loop system!

MG-Rover Problems? Click on forums.mg-rover.org
Ecotek widget y/n? - Ben79
I seem to remember reading a HJ column ages ago regarding the Maestro kits that were destined for abroad being brought back to the UK, knocked up and the resulting style icon of the 80's being sold at a very low price. IIRC, HJ said then that it had an unregulated cat taked onto the old A series Austin engine with a carb, and that the cat would probably need frequent changing to pass the MOT.

Ben
Oops, I made a silly mistake. In glancing back through the thread I failed to take in that Kith's Astra was almost new!
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
They were 2-way cats-oxidising- like diesels used to be;only affected Co & Hc not Nox.In many countries,Germany and Scandinavia cats were fitted whether or not they were needed to comply with the regulations;people felt "green" if they had one.
Ecotek widget y/n? - jc
I'm suprised that a 2001 Astra is still running single point injection-must be one of the last vehicles ever to use it.
Ecotek widget y/n? - Ben79
Citroen made Saxos with 1.1 SPI engines in 2001. Also, when was the Astra actually made, it may have been in a field for ages.

Ben
jc

You'd be right to be surprised - it isn't singlepoint - it's multipoint.

Regards

John S
Dizzy,
A 2001 1.6 16v Astra has multipoint fuel injection not a "worn" carb as you suggested and the figures I quoted are not for single journeys. I have always kept a record of mpg at each fill up for every car I have had (sad I know) and the figures are an average over a period of months. However I agree that the widget may have masked an inherrent design fault on the fuel system, as the reason I bought it was to smooth out the hesitation of the engine (brought about by the emission control of the ECU I have been led to believe. Note: I test drove other 1.6 16v Astras, of a similar age, after purchasing mine and they were the same). The mpg figures without the widget are similar to the manufacturers mpg figures quoted in the vehicle handbook, so I didn't suspect a fault and all I can say is that it did improve on these and reduce (but not remove) the hesitation on my car.
Kith,
If you look back, you'll see that I did apologise for failing to spot that your Astra was nearly new with a fuel-injected engine, rather than a banger with a worn out carburettor.

An uncle of mine is a retired Vauxhall main dealer bodyshop manager. He was with them for 40 years (it was his brother's firm) and he always has a Vauxhall as his personal car. His current one is a 1.6 Astra and he is very disappointed with the performance and economy. Perhaps this is not a particularly well designed engine and perhaps you happened to strike lucky with what I would call 'dabbling'.

I'm not in a position to judge either way regarding your own personal experience but, as I pointed out in a much earlier posting, the makers of this widget don't even understand the technology and there is no way I would fit the thing to any engine of mine.