Tornado "zaps" Police radar gun - StevieC
I love this.... just think the pilot should not have stopped it, of course these radar devices are accurate!

Top this for a speeding ticket...

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

'Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day...'

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 19:14

Speeding...... an example!!! - drbe
Yeah, right.
Speeding...... an example!!! - Pugugly {P}
I thin its an urban myth. I'll ask my BiL to confirm it.
Speeding...... an example!!! - henry k
I thin its an urban myth. I'll ask my BiL to confirm it.

>>I think it is a thin urban myth and so does

www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp
Lots of reasons explained.

Speeding...... an example!!! - Ruperts Trooper
It's a story that's been going around since BEFORE the Tornado went into service !!

At Squadron level, the RAF are known for tongue-in-cheek requests - when Canberra photo-reconnaissance crews had nothing to do they would tease fighter squadrons by offering to be target in a high level intercept exercise - knowing full well that the Canberra's operational ceiling was out of reach of any fighter friendly or foe!

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 30/10/2007 at 18:30

Speeding...... an example!!! - Dwight Van Driver
This takes me back to the late 70's when we first acquired HR8 hand held. Being near a number of RAF Stations the thought did cross ones mind as they came into land but were similarly warned on the grape vine - untrue of course.

Didn't AS steer one of these blue circle airliners?????? Thought he would have made a comment?

dvd
Speeding...... an example!!! - local yokel
ISTR similar stories when I flew in the RN - and I left in 1980.....
Speeding...... an example!!! - Lud
I've heard it alleged that walking in front of an activated fighter aircraft is a sinister experience because you are aware of the heat-seeking missiles under the thing's wings eyeing you hungrily and wagging their tails...
Speeding...... an example!!! - drbe
walking in front of an activated fighter aircraft >>

Have you ever walked behind a jet when its engines are running? Just a touch breezy!
Speeding...... an example!!! - Humperdink
haha wouldn't it be funny to see a smoking crater where your local camera cop had positioned himself!

Think this is the adult version of the old childhood fantasy of seeing your school blown up!
Speeding...... an example!!! - Statistical outlier
I got to sit in a Tornado F3 (? The bomber version anyway) once when in the CCF at school. The anti-missile system was going beserk at RAF Benson's radar, trying to lock onto it and all sorts. "Yeah, it does that sometimes, don't press anything" was the only response!
Speeding...... an example!!! - Tomo
Right on kush!

One current fantasy is seeing thermite devices as per Brainiac on all the anti-motoring cameras.
Speeding...... an example!!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Indeed I did DVD, and it was a PR9 which would go to 55k feet+! Suffice to say that our RAF fighters on practice intercepts couldn't get close and neither could the fighters of places when we were flying where we shouldn't - do to speak! I am referring to the real first Gulf War which was in 1964!
Speeding...... an example!!! - local yokel
Gordon The RAF's Tornado bomber version were the GR1, now upgraded to GR4.
Speeding...... an example!!! - Statistical outlier
That's the kiddy.

I was about 17, so back in 1993, my recollection of detail is a bit hazy. Was pretty cool tho - flown by two old boys from my school, hence the chance.
Speeding...... an example!!! - aaflyer
Right, Stevie - oh, and I've got a good deal for you on the Brooklyn Bridge :)

I don't think that all the GR1s based at the (then) Tri-Nation Tornado Training Establishment - TTTE - at RAF Cottesmore could have done that.

aaflyer
Speeding...... an example!!! - Ravenger
Snopes says it's an urban legend: www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp
Speeding...... an example!!! - milkyjoe
At Squadron level the RAF are known for tongue-in-cheek requests - when Canberra photo-reconnaissance crews
had nothing to do they would tease fighter squadrons by offering to be target in
a high level intercept exercise - knowing full well that the Canberra's operational ceiling was
out of reach of any fighter friendly or foe!

>
canberra op/ceiling 48000 ft , tornado amraam (air to air missile ) range 30 miles.... another urban myth out the window then?
No AMRAAMS in service in 1964.
Speeding...... an example!!! - milkyjoe
well a hawker sidley red top missile then!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/10/2007 at 19:06

Where I went the 'unfriendlies' were flying Hunters and Vampires and similar Russian types, there was no airborne radar and very little ground radar. In the mid 60s it was more like fun than danger! That all changed with Gary Powers getting shot down. I think an RAF PR3 or 7 was shot down over Syria at some time but I can't find any details.
On 6 Nov 1956, during the build up to the Suez crisis, an RAF Canberra PR7 WH799 flown by Flt Lt B L Hunter, along with his Navigator Fg Off Urquhart-Pullen and a third crew member, took off from Akrotiri in Cyprus for a photo-reconnaissance sortie over Syria. The purpose of the sortie was to monitor an apparent build up of Soviet supplied combat aircraft in Syria. Unfortunately, WH799 was shot down over Syria on by either a MiG-15 flown by a Soviet or Czechoslovakian pilot or possibly by a Syrian Meteor NF-13, supplied to Syria by Britain! Sadly the Navigator was killed but the pilot and the other crew member survived and after treatment in Beirut Military Hospital, were later repatriated.

I should have Googled first!

canberra op/ceiling 48000 ft tornado amraam (air to air missile ) range 30 miles....
another urban myth out the window then?

Canberra PR9 carried out some missions well in excess of 60,000 feet - out of range of fighters but not missiles, that's why Soviet overflights were withdrawn.
BiL confirms its a load of rubbish. He has been known to "creep up" behind Traffic Cars on Welsh mountain roads and frighten them though....
Speeding...... an example!!! - Collos25
How do you creep up behind somebody in a Tornado,I know when one flow over me at low level and I had the sun roof open it frightened the proverbial out of me.
Speeding...... an example!!! - Old Navy
How do you creep up behind somebody in a Tornado

When Scotland had enough snow to ski on and my knees still worked I was stood on a ridge near the Glen Shee ski area when I heard a rumbling noise behind me. I turned round to see a Harrier jet below me and climbing rapidly, It passed about 100? feet over us and decended into the next valley. The engine exhaust heat was appreciated, if not the smell. (SWMBO not impressed). I was not concerned as I have flown with the RAF on many occaisions and find pilots self preservation skills impressive.

Edited by Old Navy on 01/11/2007 at 11:16

Missed the edit cutoff.
It crept upon me because I was looking upwards for it.
Speeding...... an example!!! - oilrag
You know that bit of high ground by the road, just before you enter Glencoe ?

Back in the early 70`s, I was standing there taking a photo when a fast jet came over. Instantly I was looking down on it as it went down the glen. There had been no approach noise and I think it came over me at around 50 feet. Two of them actually.

Just wish i had been looking the other way with the Nikon focussed and set at 1,000 sec.
That would have been something. Have never seen anything like it for low flying since.
Near the waterfall and mountain rescue helipad?

motoring link - My BiL (London resident) was amazed at the answer when he asked what the thin red painted poles along each side of the road were for.
Hi oilrag - check these out. Hard to credit that they taekn by someone standing on the ground! www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=296115

Terrific pix AS.

Dramatic things, military aircraft. I remember the French demonstrating military muscle in Chad once by flying Jaguars in ones and twos down the Chari river, just below eye level from the two posh hotels, at near-sonic speeds. They looked good in their buff and green camouflage too.

Trouble was, they were impossible to count because they kept coming round and doing it again. A lot of different numbers, all wrong, went out on the telex that evening. I think there were eight actually, but I counted up to fifteen or so before realising I had lost track. It's hard to spot the individual differences between them when they are blasting past at 600mph.
Speeding...... an example!!! - rtj70
Wow great pics. Assume Tal-y-Llyn is the place to go for this stuff.

Couple years back went to the lakes and it was around the time of the airshow. Wished I had the camera I have now. Unpacking at the caravan and heard a loud noise... step out and look up and it was a Lancaster bomber! Saw lots more too.

Year later in the lakes coming down the hillside near Grasmere and suddenly year lots of noise. Two Red Arrow planes how swooping down overhead and fly close enough to us to think "wow".
Quite so rjt - somewhere near Macchynlleth (spelling?). When my sister moved there she sent me a change of address card with the comment "Bad Scrabble letters!" The man takes the photos treks over there from Lincolnshire so he is keen but what results!
Cracking photos. He says that creeping up can be dome in the right conditions - if you're going fast enough.
Quite right. You don't hear them coming, just a thin whine from nowhere in particular, then as they pass a shattering blast of sound.

The military have the world's best toys. I have always envied them that.
Above the speed of sound, 700mph (ish), you see it before you hear it, if it's coming from behind it's crept up on you!
Speeding...... an example!!! - aaflyer
Fantastic photographs on the linked page - love the one near the bottom of the page of the Nav. (sorry, WSO!!) in the GR4 with one hand casually draped over the canopy and the other holding the map!

Great

AA
Nice old fashioned shot that - Map reading an art as old as flying itself none of that new fangled sat-nav nonsense that we groudlings assume is the best way to find our way around. Reluctant as I am to bring this thread back onto motoring !
PU - thanks for tolerating the 'diversion'!

I will 'cos of family connections to the Crab Airways and a wish my career had gone in that direction !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/11/2007 at 21:11

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7076941.stm

Just found this today. Totally unrelated to motoring, other than to get to this village, you will drive/ride through some of the most inspiring and beautiful roads in the UK.