Shock absorber replacement - Soupytwist
My MK2 Golf GTI has failed MOT due to failure of near side front shock absorber (as well as near side rear brake caliper).
Are shock absorbers best replaced in pairs, or would one be OK ?

Oh, and the exhaust is knackered as well so it's gonna be pricey.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Shock absorber replacement - Keith S
PAIRS!!!!!!!

My car had one dodgy shock absorber on the rear. Pulled to one side terribly under heavy braking.

That said, i'm sure some manuals say you can replace only one if the other is ok. But I wouldnt risk it.
Shock absorber replacement - Robert Fleming
Just the nearside was replaced on my mk2 Golf GTI by the last owner. You can't tell when driving. It's not an MoT requirement to do both sides. Replacing just one is OK. But it's not great. I intend to replace the pair when funds permit.

If you are DIY, you may as well do both sides, as you'll already have the spring compressor and expertise from doing the first side. Also replace the strut top bearings, as they're relatively cheap, may well save you another round of suspension dismantling, and make the car feel like new again (at least they did on my Polo).

Some people may well insist you do both 'for safety's sake'. But in my respectful opinion, even a mint mk2 is old enough to need a few quid throwing at it in all sorts of other places first.

A pipe wrench and 3ft of scaffolding pole can be a good substitute for the VW tool for unscrewing the caps that hold the front shocks in place!
Shock absorber replacement - TrevorP
PAIRS. The handling will be "interesting" with one new and 1 dead or dying. What's the choice? do 1 now, one next year?