2002 zetec 1.6 -noisy engine - donwendy
I am a complete girly when it comes to cars so baer with me. The engine is making a noise that sounds like it is over revving any ideas and approx cost?

{year of registration updated from 1992 to 2002 - see further down for explanation - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 13:23

noisy engine - RichardW
OK, I'll do the honours this time...

Year, fuel, engine size?

When does it do this 'overevving' thing? Just after you've changed gear?
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....

Edited by RichardW on 23/10/2007 at 13:30

Noisy Engine - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Take a deep breath and describe when and how this noise happens.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 23/10/2007 at 14:05

Noisy Engine - donwendy
ok - zetec 1.6 1992 {Added to header, and included the info here from your follow up post to this one - DD}

The noise - the only way I can describe it is sounding like an under current of louder revving when I am in a low gear. (not sure if that makes sense)

Have now noticed that the front passenger tyre has a small split and is mis shapen. Could that be connected?

1992 - That would make it a Focus on a K plate. Not seen one of them !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/10/2007 at 22:13

Noisy Engine - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Assuming that your car has a rev counter, do the revs increase without the road speed increasing? If so the clutch is slipping (worn out) and needs replacing.

Mis shapen tyre would likely cause the car to vibrate rather than making a revving noise. Would be speed rather than gear sensitive. I'd advise relacement if the damage is visible.
Noisy Engine - donwendy
Tyre had a split in it too so that has now been repaired.
The noise is still there.
The rev counter does not show an increase.
How much damage am I doing to the car by using it with the noise. I can't afford to get it looked at until pay day?
Noisy Engine - Saltrampen
Possibly a blocked catalytic convertor due to oil over fill. (check the oil level and make sure it is not overfull) - sometimes if overfilled car may run lumpy.
Does it make the noise at standstill if you rev it up to 3000 - 4000 rpm?
Is the idle lumpy in any slight way?
Sounds like the engine is either working harder than it should or something is slightly loose
causing a high frequency vibration.

Noisy Engine - donwendy
sorry, mis typed. Meant to say 2002! {now updated - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 13:24