2.0 GT FSi - Coolant query - hn
Hi
My 2.0 GT FSI golf never needed a coolant top-up (apart from at the service) in 30,000 miles.
Then, unexpectdly, the warning light came on and I topped it up with about .75litre of water - all I had to hand on the side of the M1
Since then, it has needed two a top-ups of a further .5l, once again, under circumstances when only water was available.
I was wondering, might it have a leak (obvious answer!) or is there the possibility that - in topping-ip with water, rather than coolant, the boiling point has been lowered and more water vapour is escaping, than would, had it been topped-up with coolant?
I have just partially drained the system by about 2l (by removing the expansion tank cap while hot!) and replaced with neat VW coolant.
I will see what develops

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2007 at 11:36

2.0 GT FSi - Coolant query - Screwloose
hn

If this is under warranty; take it to your dealer ASAP. There are head porosity issues.
2.0 GT FSi - Coolant query - bhoy wonder
Hn,

I had the exact same problem as you with my passat on a 54 plate. It has had 2 x new radiators replaced under warranty. The last radiator never even lasted a year. I got the last radiator installed 2 weeks ago been ok since. Importantly the radiator that they installed this time has been redesigned so that issue does not happen again. I wait and see, as you never know with VW these days.