yr 1996 - TDi-Smoking under heavy revs - Tony Soprano
VW Golf TDi Mk3-1996,During the MOT emissions check,under heavy revs,car was smoking black smoke from exhaust.The car only just passed on emissions,and reading was quite high,any ideas what could be causing this?Blockages in the exhaust pipe?Air filter clogged?
Any suggestions much appreciated,Tony

{subject line amended to remove double entry of make/model as the drop down menu's include that info now - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2007 at 19:40

VW Golf Mk3 TDi-Smoking under heavy revs - bell boy
readings cant have been too bad or it would have failed.
give car a full engine service and take for a good long drive

what are you doing for work now the series has finished tony?
VW Golf Mk3 TDi-Smoking under heavy revs - Pablo202
Not that I'm any good at car things but my Focus smokes alot. (not twenty a day!!) When I took it for the MOT the tester just passed it and suggested some snotty stuff you can buy from halfords and the like. It goes in the fuel and cleans the system through. I've heard that giving it some revs helps clear out some of the soot. Hope that helps.
VW Golf Mk3 TDi-Smoking under heavy revs - David_S
I believe the best way to keep a diesels exhaust clean is by the frequent use of a heavy right foot when the engine is at full running temperature, IE when the car is under load such as pulling away through the gears. I tend to do this once a week if I am on my usual commute.

I do find if I have been poodling along in slow traffic at flat cap pace for mile after mile this can result in a bit of extra black smoke on first acceleration. Therafter it is fine current car has 128K miles VAG TDI and I have used this technique for the past 100K.

Of course a dirty air filter could affect the amount of fuel / air mix, unburnt fuel would cause black smoke and it is such a simple and cheap thing to check and replace in any case.