12v air compressor - bargain? - moonshine {P}
I've just come across a heavy duty 12v air compressor from tescos. From the photos it appears to better made than the usual el cheapo rubbish from argos. Its £20 and the specs say it can do 150psi and 35ltr/min.

direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-4763.aspx

has anyone got one of these?

Or, can anyone comment on the specs, compared to other similar products?

For £20 it looks like a good buy to me.
12v air compressor - bargain? - NARU
I agree - just bought one. Thanks.
12v air compressor - bargain? - Roger Jones
Can you pre-set the required pressure?
12v air compressor - bargain? - J Bonington Jagworth
"just bought one"

User report please! :-)
12v air compressor - bargain? - bell boy
User report please! :-)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes user report required and no hot air
12v air compressor - bargain? - Mike H
Seems to be short of features - if you click on the features tab, it has three uninspiring ones!

I'd be interested to know if it has an on-off switch, that's the biggest pain with my current one.
12v air compressor - bargain? - jc2
Morrisons is offering one for £4.99,tho' I doubt the quality.
It arrived this morning.

On the positive side, it does an an on/off switch (someone asked!), and it attaches nice and firmly to the tyre valve. It runs fairly quietly. And the pressure guage seems reasonably accurate.

On the negative side, it struggled to pump my tyres to 41psi though did get there eventually. No option to set a cutoff pressure (someone else asked).

I'll be taking mine back.
12v air compressor - bargain? - normd2
i got one from Woolies! Bright orange RAC branded £19.99; on/off switch, pressure pre-set, several adaptors, built in torch and can suck as well as blow...
12v air compressor - bargain? - Mike H
i got one from Woolies! Bright orange RAC branded £19.99; on/off switch pressure pre-set several
adaptors built in torch and can suck as well as blow...

...you haven't commented on whether it's any good at the job?
12v air compressor - bargain? - Bill Payer
...you haven't commented on whether it's any good at the job?

You don't want much, do you! :-)
12v air compressor - bargain? - billy25
why would you want to suck the air out of the tyres?

Billy
12v air compressor - bargain? - Dynamic Dave

Before you fill them with nitrogen gas ;o)
12v air compressor - bargain? - bathtub tom
80% nitrogen will do for me.
12v air compressor - bargain? - Another John H

I wouldn't.

But it's useful to avacuate an airbed with a "pump".
12v air compressor - bargain? - normd2
"you haven't commented on whether it's any good at the job? "

yes it is - I have a car on SORN sitting on the drive with a slow puncture in two tyres. If I let the tyres go flat it 'looks' bad so every week or so I pump them up - my Woolies compressor is ideal for this.
"it struggled to pump my tyres to 41psi"

Maybe it needs to be run-in a bit? Or maybe even a leak - what pressure do you get with the end blocked off?
12v air compressor - bargain? - moonshine {P}
I would of thought it should be able to handle 41psi ? Its rated up to 150psi and my £14.99 argos jobbie can manage up to 60 psi (rated to 250psi), although it takes forever to get there and bounces all over the garage while doing it...

I went into tescos last night to pick one up, but they didn't have any in. Guess I'll have to see about getting one online.

JBJ - did you get yours in the store or online?

Edited by moonshine {P} on 13/10/2007 at 18:05

"JBJ - did you get yours.."

I haven't yet - I was just quoting Marlot's experience. It certainly looks businesslike (I once had a horrible plastic rattly thing that was about as effective as a cardboard balloon pump) but, of course, looks aren't everything...
Maybe it needs to be run-in a bit?

Maybe you're right. I tried again today and the time from 30 psi to 41 psi was halved over the first time I used it.

I'm moving the caravan at the end of the week so I'll see how it copes with 55psi.
12v air compressor - bargain? - milkyjoe
i got one for £7.00 at a garage its endorsed with the AA logo and goes up to 300 psi
Does it work? I have to say I'm a bit cynical about branding these days. Marketing men seem to milk them for far more than they're worth, hence Caterpillar clothing, JCB tools, etc, so it doesn't really tell you anything. One sort of hopes that the AA and RAC have some say in the matter, but you do wonder...
12v air compressor - bargain? - Pugugly {P}
Hummer now brand bluetooth ear-pieces.
12v air compressor - bargain? - Lud
Hummer now brand bluetooth ear-pieces.

Obtrusively military-bling in general outline, painted glossy olive green and the size of Dom Joly's mobile?

:o}
got it in one.

There must be a market for properly put together stuff that works and lasts more than an hour?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 17:35

properly put together stuff that works and lasts more
than an hour?

Ah. The 'carriage trade' it used to be called.

Oddly enough I translated last week or so a blurb for a mobile phone styled by and bearing the name Porsche Design. It has an awfully good camera and swivelling screen, the blurb said, but the main shtick is fingerprint recognition of the owner, a mobile phone first.

The blurb went into a fair amount of stuff about how it says something about you as soon as you dump it on the cafe table with your Prada shades, Dunhill lighter and Maserati keys (actually it didn't mention these other brands, but that was what it meant).

A snip at 1200 euros, available now for, er, certain sorts of people.
"fingerprint recognition"

"Gis your phone or we'll chop your fingers off" replace the "or" with "and".
Excellent!
12v air compressor - bargain? - GroovyMucker
it says something about you as soon as you dump it on the cafe table ...

I suspect we can all agree on that part.
"bearing the name Porsche Design"

IIRC that's F A Porsche, who is related to the car maker, but is thought to dine out rather too much on the name by the rest of the family...
12v air compressor - bargain? - JH
P
very true but if you make a product properly you're probably only going to sell me one, whereas if you make it just a bit shoddy it will last a few years, fall apart and I'll have to buy another. "Just a bit shoddy" has now often sunk to falling apart before you get it out of the box, just to save you the trouble of using it. We could simplify things by just posting money to these people, but that leaves us short in the new toy department.

Isn't it time we had some "fit for purpose" law like we have energy efficiency regulations? Isn't this tat going to landfill just as damaging to the environment as an inefficient white good? You'd think that companies like Tesco would realise that selling tat (if it is) damages their brand.

And why do I check my spelling and grammar more carefully when I'm replying to PU? What's tomorrow's homework sir? :-)

JH