engine number deciphering - normd2
Due to ongoing issues with my current car I'm casting around for another. I've seen a nice looking Previa but it has an odd thing about it (no remote engine oil reservoir) Could someone please check this engine number and let me know what it is? 2TZ171nnnn

thanks

ps I've asked this elsewhere but they have a 'number of users online' indicator and I'm the only one there :(
engine number deciphering - Screwloose
norm

Should be 2TZ-FE for a pre-2000.

Import?
Hi Screwloose - it's not supposed to be an import. It's the full size Previa body and speedo in mph. Can you tell anything from the chassis no?? JT111AC11001nnnnn.

thanks very much
engine number deciphering - Screwloose
norm

No; but a dealer could tell you everything.

Or even a motor factor.
already called Toyota, the chassis number showed it wasn't fitted with an oil reservoir but he couldn't help with the engine number... Ho hum, thanks for looking anyway; better keep searching I guess.
engine number deciphering - bathtub tom
Remote oil reservoir???

Are these dry sumped?
no, there's just a reservoir of about 2 litres of oil in a tank under the bonnet that tops up the engine oil on start up if it's too low. When I first saw it I assumed it was because the engines used oil at a fearsome rate but having owned three over the years I now assume it's a convenience feature due to the mid placed engine.