Happy with your car? - barney100
There seems a lot of bashing of certain makes of car and I wondered if roomers experience of their car corresponded with the knocking. Citroen for one get fearful criticism but other back roomers seem perfectly happy with theirs and you see quite a few used as taxis which must be a hard life.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 05/10/2007 at 23:06

happy with your car? - Hugo {P}
Discovery 200TDi

Mine is low milage (106k), and although every MOT is a white knuckle ride with wallet held tightly, I am generally happy with it.

The garage I use recommended I scrapped it due to the 'excessive' welding it would require.

I asked a mate of mine who works for a national tyre chain for his view. He organised an MOT through the trade, then did the welding for me for £260. It passed its retest.

I'm hoping that the next MOT won't be quite so drastic. I think I'll take it back to the same place that did the last MOT.

Nissan Almera 1999(SWMBO)

This doesn't get a knocking here, and I can see why. Apart from my finding it uncomfotable on long journeys (I'm 6'4") It's OK. If it were our only car I wouldn't keep it but as neither of our cars are worth much, but both run very well, it is actually more economic to run two. And because they are both very different and suit different needs very well we like doing it that way.

Nissan Primastar Van

Work van. Had quite a bit of warranty work over minor niggles. Although Nissan have generally been good to date with the warranty. I am getting a little fed up with regualar trips to the dealership.

They now want it for 2 days and have offered to lend me a Cubistar (Connect sized van), which is simply useless to me. At the moment it's a complete no no due to the nature of the job I'm doing. However I'm going to have to bite the bullet very soon and book it in.

However I do like driving it. It looks the business and is very practical.
happy with your car? - DSLRed
As just posted in a different thread, Here's one happy multiple Citroen owner family.

I do think that the bad press is due to:

a. Being French.
b. Being more obviously French than others - Renault don't have the same 'French' issue
c. Being associated with the 2CV!
d. Blinkered journalism.
happy with your car? - hcm
I've got a Picasso HDi which has now done 65k. Nothing has gone wrong with it and it continues to put up with my wife's gear changes, children trashing the inside of it and me thrashing it up and down the motorway.

Over the last 3000 miles it has averaged 44.6mpg. Great motorway cruiser and I like the higher sitting position.

Interior isn't up to German or Japanese standards but loose bits of plastic give the children something to play with on long journeys.

Overall it does everything I want it to.

If I won the lottery tomorrow would I buy another Citroen? Yes - to soak up the above. Plus a garage full of lots of other stuff.

happy with your car? - bell boy
yes
happy with your car? - runboy
How about expanding the question to include the maker?

I like my new Skoda Octavia, but hate the appaling service I have received from both the dealer and Skoda UK.

But which will win? Do we put up with one and not the other?
happy with your car? - jase1
Yes to both of mine -- indeed I don't think I've had a car that I could class as unreliable in about 8 years now -- all Japanese or Korean.

Having said that, I'm annoyed with current Primera, or rather the (back-street) garage. Not content with messing up the clutch replacement a few years ago I'm not at all happy with the noisy brake pads they put on at the last service -- they claim it's down to the materials on "modern" pads, but how come other cars don't suffer the same way?

Two other mechanics have found nothing wrong with the brakes, but I'm not satisfied. I'll be buying new pads and discs and replacing myself when I can be bothered. The car stops rightly enough, but the noise gets on my wick and is deeply embarrassing when I have others in the car. The sound is a mixture of a rubbery rubbing noise, metal-on-metal type scraping (both when coming to a stop, only present <5mph) and general squealing.
happy with your car? - GregSwain
The sound is a mixture of a rubbery rubbing noise metal-on-metal
type scraping (both when coming to a stop only present > general squealing.

Did they re-fit the shims to the pads? If not, a quick visit to your local Nissan dealer and a couple of quid for a new set of shims.
happy with your car? - gmac
Very happy with the car, dealers not so impressive.
happy with your car? - Ruperts Trooper
I'm so happy with my car, 2000 Astra CDX saloon 1.8 auto, that I can't find a replacement even with a £30k budget!

I'm prepared to give up the trip computer and accept slightly worse fuel consumption but if I can't retain everything else (cruise, leather, sunroof, 460 litre secure boot) AND add estate, 4wd then I won't change.

I thought I'd found the answer, Toyota LandCruiser LC4, but the seats are too high to get into!

I'm just waiting for a reduction in list price for the Lexus RX400h - might need to find somewhere for the flying pigs!
happy with your car? - normd2
to bring the bangernomics view to this then yes mostly:

the L reg Rover 214 passed it's MOT this week with flying colours (and no advisories); OK I'd just replaced most of the exhaust at the weekend and replaced the front brake pads a few weeks ago but really not bad for a 14 year old car.
The H reg Previa I'm not so happy with as it still has a mysterious electrical fault although it also got through its MOT wth minimal work recently.
happy with your car? - gmac
I'm prepared to give up the trip computer and accept slightly worse fuel consumption but
if I can't retain everything else (cruise leather sunroof 460 litre secure boot) AND add
estate 4wd then I won't change.

You will wait a long time for an estate car with a 460 litre secure boot.
By design an estate does not have a secure boot and the under floor locking storage boxes will never amount to 460 litres.
happy with your car? - Lud
Measured approval is one thing but anything resembling 'happiness' is a sure sign of stupidity or hugely degenerate superstition or staggering luck or at least excessive optimism.
happy with your car? - bell boy
happiness is a cigar called hamlet i thought ;-)

Edited by bell boy on 06/10/2007 at 00:38

happy with your car? - Blue {P}
Well I'm very happy with the TF.

All the doomsayers were out in force when I was considering buying her, but so far their concerns have proved groundless. I've found a supportive community of enthusiasts that I can turn to should I have a question about the car, and a specilist just down the road who are both reasonable and give better service than any other garage I've ever used.

The car itself is brilliant, sharp, responsive, quick, economical and cheap to run. It ticks just about every box, and it looks the part too. :-)

The old Mondeo that I'm currently running I'm also equally pleased with, it's a very well specified car for £2,500. The engine is sweet, powerful, and makes a lovely throaty rasp when pushed (although that may be fuel being sucked from the tank at a rate of knots). She's comfortable, and due to the fact that she's just a 7 year old Mondeo I don't worry about parking anymore, even the city centre as it's busiest period between midnight and 4am no longer holds any fear for me. :)

I'm quite a happy motorist, I think I'll only get happier when the Mondeo is swapped for an E39 5 Series, althougn I'll probably worry more!

Blue
happy with your car? - L'escargot
I've been completely happy with my current and previous car ~ both Focus Ghia 2.0 petrol ~ the first from new, the second (and current) low mileage used. Prior to that I had a Citroen 1.9 petrol ZX Volcane followed by a 1.8 petrol ZX Aura, both from new. Both ZXs were very tinny ~ on the Volcane the dipstick-supporting bracket fractured (which entailed removing the heater to fit a new bracket) and on the Aura one of the bonnet hinges fractured. Both ZXs were run predominantly on well-maintained dual carriageways. These have been the only fractures I have experienced in 40-odd years.
--
L\'escargot.
happy with your car? - Citroënian {P}
Kia - I still need to write it up properly, but the Cee'd is proving to be a nice car to have. especially for free!

C4 - Still love the look of the C4 and it feels very spacious. The ride is very smooth and it's quieter than the Cee'd. Putting cruise into the base model as standard was a great idea, makes motorway journeys relaxing.

MX5 - Spending more time in the Kia makes me appreciate the Mazda more. Not that the Kia is a bad car, far from it, but after driving an ordinary tin box during the week, taking the roof off and feeling the liveliness of the Mazda makes it great fun. Driving it all the time, it's easy to forget just what a brilliant little car it is

Mini - Doesn't get driven much now but whenever you go anywhere in it, it attracts a lot of attention. Kids especially love it- the people next door have a gigantic SUV but their little boy still gets more excited about the little red Austin! But that's it's flaw. Accident between the two? He's in the Mini, he's dead. In the wallywagon, he's fine. With so many stupidly big sports utility vans about, driven by distracted mums and dads, we're getting more careful when and where we drive it. But it has the proper go-kart style handling and since we put an original radio back in, we can get MW and LW! Still a great car but the world has changed and it no longer fits in

If I had to wave goodbye to them? The mini would go first because of 50s safety. Next would be a toss up between the C4 and the Cee'd. Cee'd is much better specced (love the climate control) and faster but the C4 drives more comfortably and I prefer its looks. Probably the Kia would go. Then the C4 and finally the MX5.

-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
happy with your car? - Jamesh266
I think most people are happy with their cars, but "I bought a XXX three years ago and it has been good" won't engage the forum reader's interest as much as "My XXX has been back to the dealer 17 times because they can't fix a really annoying fault."

Different people buy their cars for different reasons too. Three years ago I bought a Fiat Brava because I didn't have much money to spend on a car, and it seemed like the cheapest car to buy and run that did everything I wanted it to. The only other car we had at the time was a Nissan Micra. Despite having a really rubbish write-up in Which? magazine, the Fiat was faster than the Nissan, handled better, rode just as badly, used less fuel, cost less to service and repair, had better seats and a better stereo, and made it to 8 years old and 120000 miles before it's first and only breakdown. The Nissan's first visit from the AA came at just 2 years old with 18000 miles on the clock. Therefore I would rate our Fiat as the better car of the two, and I was happy with it.

My wife on the other hand, did not like the way that on the Fiat you could not see the end of the bonnet when you were sat in the driver's seat, she didn't like the fact it had manual transmission, and she found it difficult to park. Therefore she hated it, but she is very happy with the Micra.

The only car I have owned that I think I was really unhappy with was a Volkswagen Polo - bought to replace a troublesome Fiat Uno. I'd had a VW Jetta previously that was very reliable, and I liked it a lot. The Polo was a pig of a car to drive - heavy steering and non-existent brakes, and the most unreliable car I'd ever owned. I was unhappy with it because I expected something better than a Fiat Uno.

So to summarise this rather long and rambling post, most people are happy with their cars because they buy a car they like. If people get a car that doesn't meet their expectations they will be unhappy.
Happy with your car? - Chas{P}
Had a Peugeot 207 GT 110 HDi for the last 6 months. Done 9,000 miles and it's been fine.

Could write up a full report in a separate post if anyone's interested to compare and contrast with HJ's.
Happy with your car? - doctorchris
Fiat Pandas.
We have 2 Pandas in our household. I've a 4x4 and my daughter a 1.1 Active. We love them both and have never been let down despite them being dreaded Fiats of unreliability legend.
Both cars are more than just city cars, mine has been over to France and my daughter regularly travels up and down the country. We both would like to see better fuel comsumption but realise these are both quite heavy cars pulled by small engines so you can't have it all.
My first house cost £26,000 and I have a mental rule that I would never pay that much for a car, even if I won the Lottery. Just seems a waste to me. My love affair with Pandas (purely platonic) means I never will pay that much.
Maybe I should change my name to Pandaman, though I've never really wanted to be a chimaera (good name, that, for a new Nissan model.
Happy with your car? - NARU
Honda Jazz 1.4 SE - Now 30 months old, about 9,000 miles. Cigarette lighter socket didn't work from new - dealer fixed while I waited (it hadn't been plugged in behind the dash). Wife loves the car - can't see us changing it for a long time.

Mondeo 2.0 130 TDCi Ghia Estate - Now 36 months old, 63,000 miles. Leaking injector return pipe early on, leading to smell of diesel in cabin. Reversing light switch failure at 40,000? miles. Turbo failure at 60,000 miles. Lots of grey smoke/uneveness on startup (still does it). New drivers seat base needed (just done). Great towcar - the heavy kerbweight, loads of torque and self-levelling suspension make towing a 1500kg caravan a breeze, even in crosswinds.
Happy with your car? - Ruperts Trooper
You will wait a long time for an estate car with a 460 litre secure boot.

By design an estate does not have a secure boot and the under floor locking storage boxes will never amount to 460 litres. >>

It's not easy to find an estate with 460 litres UNDER the tonneau cover, if it's out of sight I'd regard that as secure as I need.
Happy with your car? - gmac
It's not easy to find an estate with 460 litres UNDER the tonneau cover if
it's out of sight I'd regard that as secure as I need.

Then a Volvo XC70 fits the bill (estate, 4x4, leather, cruise, computer, auto option, sunroof option). Wait until the initial interest has died down and you should be able to get one through a brokers under 30k.
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT
Volume, rear seats up -
luggage area, litres (cu.ft) 575 (20.3) - To Glass Line 815 (28.8) - To Roof
Volume, rear seats down,
litre (cu.ft) 840 (29.7) - To Glass Line 1600 (56.5) - To Roof

Edited by gmac on 06/10/2007 at 10:16

Happy with your car? - GregSwain
Well, the Almera's dull if you're bothered about looks, and it does seem to be slowly rusting underneath, but the engine's still virtually silent, and it doesn't seem to be suffering as a result of my "bangernomics" approach to car maintenance. It gets driven hard too. Just had original exhaust replaced, and it's still on the original battery at 7y/o.

My mum's Almera (newer model) is faultless. Can't even think of anything irritating about it. It's typically Japanese, just gets the job done. The Vectra before it resulted in no fewer than 4 AA-callouts, all for irritating faults which cost £££ to put right.

Sister's car is a Pug 205D, it has the odd glitch (e.g. thermostat sticking closed resulting in clouds of steam) but it's done quite a few miles and it's 12 years old, so pretty reliable still. Previously belonged to my ex g/f, who replaced it with the only really bad car I've experienced....

The Clio DCi (53-plate, 65bhp) wasn't unreliable as such, just had one expensive flaw - the EGR valve. It was noisy and slow enough when running "well" (not to mention impossible to drive in slow traffic because it lurched uncontrollably), but when the EGR went (twice) it slowed down considerably and the engine sounded awful. For a 3y/o car it wasn't good. It got replaced with a much better Kia Rio CRDi, which AFAIK she's still got.
Happy with your car? - Bill Payer
I'm very pleased with my Mercedes C270CDi Estate.
I think I got a very good deal on it at 5mths / 6K miles from MB Direct. The way I do my job changed and I don't do anything like the mileage I expected so it's now 3yrs old and has done 32K miles. It was MOT'd this week and had brake fluid changed at the same time, but up until then, it had been to the dealership *once* for an A service (at 18K) which cost £150 (+ £30 for oil that I supplied) and 2 tyres (Michelin Primacy HP's at £99 each).
It'll nudge 50MPG on a long motorway run and it makes those journeys effortless.

We also have a Jazz and I love lots of things about, especially the build quality, but the ride is really not very good. I'm eagerly awaiting the new one.

(I should add that I'm touching wood now I've written those comments!)

Edited by Bill Payer on 06/10/2007 at 12:05

Happy with your car? - legacylad
You bet. mAs I am currently carless my ex has kindly lent me her Lexus SportCross for a few weeks whilst she is on holiday Probably not as good off road as my old Defender, but a superior sound system...only downside is it uses more gas, and the insurance is horrific, £31.50 for 2 weeks.
Then a Volvo XC70 fits the bill (estate, 4x4, leather, cruise, computer, auto option, sunroof option). Wait until the initial interest has died down and you should be able to get one through a brokers under 30k.

LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT
Volume, rear seats up -
luggage area, litres (cu.ft) 575 (20.3) - To Glass Line 815 (28.8) - To Roof
Volume, rear seats down,
litre (cu.ft) 840 (29.7) - To Glass Line 1600 (56.5) - To Roof >>

I will go and look - boot covers are often well below "glass line" so I'll do the measuring and the front headroom isn't good, according to What Car, the optional sunroof may reduce it even further.
Happy with your car? - Clk Sec
Happy with car and happy with dealer.
Happy with your car? - smoke
I have got a Mondeo ST220. Aside from the problems i had with getting the rust issue sorted, it has proved a brilliant car. Brings a smile to my face every time i drive it. Would still get another ford, and today was informed by the local ford dealer that they are putting the 2.7l twin turbo diesel in the Mondeo in March, which may well become my next purchase :-).
Happy with your car? - Pendlebury
Is that the same 2.7l twin turbo as in the S type ?
Happy with your car? - smoke
Allegedly. I have seen no material published on line confirming this.
Happy with your car? - NARU
Allegedly. I have seen no material published on line confirming this.

I haven't seen a confirmation, but there has been discussion

www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=226004

Edited by Marlot on 06/10/2007 at 15:53

Happy with your car? - Westpig
hope so, that'll mean it could go in the X type as well... X type estate 4x4 2.7l twin turbo... yes please, although would probaly dilute it with the auto

To answer the posters question.......yes, very happy. Have had an S type for 5.5 years, which is the longest i've ever owned a car. It's 8 years old with 62,000 miles. Does everything i'd ever want and nothing at all wrong with it, so no intention of getting rid, will probably keep it forever and allow it to merge into a 'classic'.

Wife's car manual X type 2.0d estate. Prefer more grunt and auto. Jag are doing an auto box next year for the 2.2 (and presume 2.0) but as stated above a 2.7D would be perfect.
Happy with your car? - DP
Very happy with both.

First, the Scenic. Despite being a Renault powered by a dCi engine, I have nothing but praise for it. Has everything I can think a good family car should have. Space, reliability, practicality, equipment, refinement, "all day" comfort, smoothness, refinement and a 5* NCAP rating. A total pleasure to own. Economy a little disappointing, and the interior is a little creaky in hot weather, but other than that I literally cannot fault it so far. Warranty runs out this month so I hope this continues!

X plate Mondeo LX TD (mk2). What can I say? Gutless, noisy and a little shabby these days thanks to 5 days a week in a station car park, but showing no signs of dying at 135,000 miles. Can still get 50 mpg or an indicated 120 mph out of it (but obviously not both at the same time), and it still does 600 miles a week without complaining. Suffering the odd niggle these days, but never expensive or difficult to sort. A well engineered car.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Happy with your car? - midlifecrisis
The doom mongers came out in force when I bought my 407 coupe. "French and electric everything equals disaster".

Seven months on, not a single issue and a very good dealer (although the last time I saw them was the one month check).
Happy with your car? - MichaelR
The only way I could be more happy with my car is if BMW swapped it for an M5 at no cost.
I like to keep my cars 8-12 years and research thoroughly before purchase.

It surprises that so many people keep a car 2-3 years, profess their recent purchase as the "bee's knees" but buy something different as a replacement.

I suspect that no-one buys a car and then complains it's a dog, their pride won't allow it.
Happy with your car? - DP
I suspect that no-one buys a car and then complains it's a dog their pride
won't allow it.

I suspect you're on to something there, but 2-3 years is a long time to live with a dog. The only car I've ever bought that I would truly class as a dog I sold on within 3 months.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Happy with your car? - kithmo
A dog is for life not just for christmas ;0)
I've only had three displeasing cars in 34 years and they were all sold within 7-8 months of purchase.
Other than those, the shortest time I owned any other car was my previous Mk3 Mondeo V6, which I loved but had to sell due to the rising running costs. My present TDCi, I am very pleased with, it costs half as much to run and I intend keeping it for quite a while (if it behaves itself).
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps