Computer Related Questions - Volume 140 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 141 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 140. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2007 at 21:27

Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good Morning. Friend has protected her account on her computer with a password, to stop her children reading her files etc. She has used it successfully and written it down but now can't get in "Incorrect Password" etc. I have told her that she has either got to enter it correctly or the only option will be to reload Windows and lose everything she has on the computer. Is this broadly correct, please?
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Chicken Vindaloo
Google could be your friend here. There are many people out there who will help with XP Password Recovery.

I'm a cheapskate though and don't like paying for such services. Recently a friend was in the same situation. I put their hard drive in to my PC as a slave and copied all their data onto my hard drive, restored their hard drive to factory settings and then put their data back.

If your friend does use one of the commercial services to do this, or finds a less drastic method than mine, please report back!

HTH

CV
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Chicken Vindaloo
EDIT: Try this pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp...5.
CV many thanks. The lady has in fact got into the computer since installing the password - I suspect that she may have a faulty keyboard. What she thinks is the correct password sometimes works and more often does not. I am away for a week but will report back. The link you posted was very interesting. Her computer came with XP pre-loaded and I don't think she has the prog on a CD.
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - SpamCan61 {P}
If you can log on to the computer on at least one of the accounts, and want to reset all passwords, 'method 2' linked below is nice and easy:-

support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Pugugly {P}
CAPS lock maybe (only cos I keep doing it !)
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Citroënian {P}
Implicit in this is "can you hack passwords"?

Home type Windows uses fairly secure password storage, but there are tools available that will reset local administrator account passwords, some commercial, some not, some not very legit at all.

But it is possible, your local PC shop would know how to do this. Probably not worth asking PC World though.

If she's worried about forgetting the password, create a password reset disk as described in the article above.

Oh, and don't be tempted to let the little darlings run with admin rights unless you want the computer brought to its knees in two days!

If you're running Vista, and have bitlocker installed on the hard disk(including boot sector), you're knackered if you lose the password. But it's unlikely you're doing this.

-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
Many thanks to all who helped on this one! Problem was resolved by booting is 'Safe' mode and going into an 'Adminstrator' account which was NOT passsword protected. Thus got into the computer and reset the password on the problem account. I still think the key board is on the blink and will get a new one anyway. Thanks again - typical top help from BR members!
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Citroënian {P}
AS - if she usually gets the blue screen with user names and pictures to choose from, you can bring up a username/password entry box by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL - you can then type administrator as the username and whatever the password is (or blank if you've left it at that).

Would save you having to boot into safe mode

-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
Windows XP + Forgotten Password - Stuartli
Just in case it's ever needed (just been updated):

www.majorgeeks.com/Cain_&_Abel_d5062.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Connecting to broadband - L'escargot
Even when my computer is fully warmed up it takes some 17 seconds from clicking on the broadband icon on the desktop to the computer indicating that it is connected. Is this a reasonable time? I'm sure it was quicker than this when I first signed up 11 months ago. Does the lengthy time indicate a problem with the modem?
--
L\'escargot.
Connecting to broadband - Victorbox
I assume you still get a dialling message box on screen until connected? If so, it is possible that as more & more users have signed up to your broadband supplier in your area it has slowed down the connection time when there is heavy usage. 17 seconds is not excessive though in the evening but trying it first thing in the morning I can connect in about 5 or 6 seconds.
Connecting to broadband - rtj70
With PC switched on and warm you should be connected to the Internet anyway, regardless of what application/programme you try running.

Turning on my PC and going from hibernate to being really connected is only about 17 seconds or so. It's the PC getting an IP address from the router as well as other things kicking in - broadband is available already, e.g. another PC could be using it already. From standby it's instantly accessible once you choose the user to use.

Am I missing something? There is no "dial-up" for broadband but if all off including router/ADSL modem/cable modem/whatever there is time needed for it all to settle down and start talking to each other.
Connecting to broadband - adverse camber
The snail probably has a usb adsl modem rather than a router.

In which case the connection is probably only being brought up when he clicks the icon. If he had a router there would be no need for an icon. In which case it can sometimes take a while for LCP to come up and the connection to open, the isp to serve dhcp etce tc

blasphemy deleted knows what other software is starting up and having a play.

Bin the usb modem. Fit a router. Replace any AOL./Norton rubbish.

Sorry - Im having a bad day.
Even a USB ADSL router or a USB attached cable modem should not need any icons. PC running = Internet connection already available.

I am sure the OP can explain and clarify a bit more because it sounds like things can certainly be improved.
Connecting to broadband - billy25
Friend who is with O***** formerly Wana***, has a "Speedtouch 330" usb modem, he has to manually open the internet connection by icon, and gets up a "dial-up connection" type dialogue box on which he has to click the "connect" button. As far as i'm aware this is the way that the software for this make of modem is written, and the internet is off (from bootup) until you enable it this way.

Billy
Also meant to add!!!
opening the internet connection was the first thing that he did immediately after boot-up just in case he would need it or not, he found this eliminated the "pregnant pause" you are experiencing when he tried to open it later when he had various other applications running.

billy
Connecting to broadband - bell boy
billy25 i have this at work (speedbotch) and unfortunately you are correct, plus it times out after 20 minutes non use (the futures bright eh?)
So the answer is replace the ADSL USB modem. That type of solution on broadband is very poor.
Connecting to broadband - Stuartli
>>plus it times out after 20 minutes non use (the futures bright eh?)>>

Because this is still originally configured as a dial-up type connection (presuming that IE is being used) go to IE's Tools>Connection tab>highlight the ISP default listing>Settings>Advanced button (this is being written from memory!) and untick the settings to Disconnect after XX minutes and OK out again.

When I had a USB modem I always had to connect manually and, as far as I'm aware, it's the same for all these type of modems.
PS

Thomson has/had an "Up to 8MB" patch for the Speedtouch 330 which is now incorporated into the latest driver. It can be found at:

tinyurl.com/2aw84k
"When I had a USB modem I always had to connect manually and, as far as I'm aware, it's the same for all these type of modems."

You should not have to but use Ethernet connection anyway.
>>You should not have to but use Ethernet connection anyway.>>

A Speedtouch 330, Sagem 800/840 and similar modems only have a USB connection.

They are also, in a number of model examples, of no use for speeds of more than 8MB.

My modem router has both USB and Ethernet connectivity, although I obviously use the latter.
Above should read IE's Tools>Internet Options>Connection tab etc.
Connecting to broadband - SpamCan61 {P}
..and while you're poking around with those settings, tick the 'always dial my default connection' box, then at least one doesn't have to hit the 'connect' button every time one opens IE.
Friend who is with O***** formerly Wana*** has a "Speedtouch 330" usb modem he has
to manually open the internet connection by icon and gets up a "dial-up connection" type
dialogue box on which he has to click the "connect" button.

That's exactly who I'm with and what I've got. Although the dialogue box appears I don't have to click on the "connect" box ~ only the desktop icon initially.
--
L\'escargot.
>>Although the dialogue box appears I don't have to click on the "connect" box ~ only the desktop icon initially.>>

Again, from the IE Tools>Internet Options>Connection tab, you probably have Always Dial My Default Connection rather than Never Dial A Connection Enabled.
........ you probably have Always Dial My Default Connection

I have and I assume that's the best for me.
--
L\'escargot.
Connecting to broadband - jbif
">> ........ you probably have Always Dial My Default Connection I have and I assume that's the best for me. -- L'escargot. "

Question: Is it not better from a security viewpoint to select the "Never Dial" option so that if any rogue program tries to call home it cannot do so without your knowledge?

Connecting to broadband - Victorbox
"With PC switched on and warm you should be connected to the Internet anyway, regardless of what application/programme you try running."

I guess rtj70 has learnt something new about the pleasure of using a Thompson Speedtouch 330 usb (only) broadband modem or similar which does indeed connect (& disconnect) using the dial-up dialogue box just like an old fashioned modem.
>>indeed connect (& disconnect) using the dial-up dialogue box just like an old fashioned modem.>>

As I stated earlier, it can be/is configured using the standard Windows ISP configuration wizard (substituting ADSL for dial-up).

In place of the normal dial-up telephone number of an ISP, you use 0,38 (the VPI/VCI settings for the UK).
Connecting to broadband - jbif
"I guess rtj70 has learnt something new about the pleasure of using a Thompson Speedtouch 330 usb "

You mean rtj70 was not talking facts, with the authority and conviction that his posts implied?
......... first thing
in the morning I can connect in about 5 or 6 seconds.

Just did a test (8 am) and it was 9 seconds, so your theory could apply to me.
--
L\'escargot.
Just been wondering,
Do you by anychance use AVG? sometimes this can (usually after an update that requires a reboot) schedule itself to automatically run a test, if it has scheduled itself to run say- from 2.00pm, then that may explain why you can connect in a morning ok but struggle later. It is "supposed" to put an icon in the task-bar while the test is running, so you know, but more often than not, it just runs hidden in the background, and these "checks" can take upto 30mins sometimes, and don't half slow things down whilst it is running. May be worth just checking the scheduled tasks box of avg to see if this is happening.

Billy
Connecting to broadband - Peter D
I run AVG, the latest version and I have never had to reboot after an update and it if running a scan it does not slow the connection but does slow the whole machine of coarse when opening windows and the like. Regards Peter
never had to reboot after an update <<

not usually i dont, but every so often (2-3 times a year) i get the message "AVG needs to restart your computer for the changes to take effect". you then get the choice to say yeah or nay, but if you don't decide, it does it for you after 30 secs. Maybe its just cos i'm on win98?.

Billy
Do you .. use AVG?

Nope ~ Webroot Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus.
--
L\'escargot.
Connecting to broadband - JH
I'd just like to put in a good word for Speedtouch. I had a variety of minor problems with my Netgear router culminating in it's death. I bought a Thomson Speedtouch wireless router from my ISP, Zen, because the price was good and I reckoned they wouldn't be selling rubbish. It's excellent and I have no difficulty getting into the company VPN from home whereas it was try several times with fingers crossed with the Netgear.
JH
But this is a cheapo USB modem much favoured, like the Sagem 800, by ISPs "giving" them away, not a wireless router...:-)
Connecting to broadband - JH
S
agreed, but Speedtouch seemed to be taking a general pasting.
JH
free download of Excel tips manual - billy25

just recieved this from "Martins Money Tips"

i'ts a free download (16mb) of an excel manual, as questions about Excel often appear in here i thought someone may benefit from it.

it can be downloaded here:

mrexcel.com/pod600.html

Billy
pc doesn't boot - no POST beep, then ok - JH
Any thoughts on what my pc is up to please? On pressing the power on button the boot process starts, the power on light on the screen goes on, then shortly afterwards the light goes back to standby. The DVD drives are not interrogated to see if there's a boot CD in there and the boot process ends. The fans keep running. There is no POST beep.

If I press the power on button again for 5 seconds the pc powers down. Then if I press the power on button it starts ok, with the normal one POST beep.

From what I've found, no beep means system board or power supply problem - but it works second time, every time (so far!).

Not wanting to muddy the waters but it has been demonstrating a number of other intermittent faults for a while. The most frequent is it powers down and retstarts. The event log shows a restart following an abnormal shutdown but no clues as to why there was an abnormal shutdown.

Thanks,
JH
pc doesn't boot - no POST beep, then ok - GregSwain
Unclip the RAM, using some canned-air (or an airline), blow the dust of all the contacts both on the memory and the board, and clip back into place firmly.
pc doesn't boot - no POST beep, then ok - JH
G
it's looking good. 2 clean boots since removing / cleaning / reseating.
Many thanks,
Jh
pc doesn't boot - no POST beep, then ok - GregSwain
Glad it seems to have worked!
Greg.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - L'escargot
With my Speedtouch 330 usb modem I feel I'm lagging behind the best technology currently available and it's time I caught up. Please explain wireless routers. Do they require a mains electric supply? Is it essential to have a high-speed USB 2.0 port on the computer ~ because mine doesn't.

I have ADSL via a BT line, to one computer.
--
L\'escargot.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - Chicken Vindaloo
Any router needs a power supply, be it wired, or wireless. If you have only one computer (i.e/ a desktop), you don't strictly need a wireless router. In fact, you don't really need a router if that's the case - the USB modem will be adequate. If you have a laptop, then it's a different matter. Having a wireless router would obviously let you surf from the comfort of your garden etc. There may be speed issues in future if you get a super whizzy connection from BT, but if that's the case, they'll certainly update your hardware.

Routers use Ethernet ports which are superior to USB ports for network activities.

As you have ADSL, something like a Linksys WAG200G would suit your requirements. As I say though, unless you have a laptop, stick with your current set up. You can open up a large can of worms with wireless unless you know what you're doing!

HTH
CV

unless you have a laptop stick with your current set up.

I was considering moving the computer to a room which doesn't have a telephone socket and I thought that a wireless router might be the easiest solution.
--
L\'escargot.
If there's no way you can run a telephone extension cable to the new room, then wireless is the answer. (I'd really recommend trying the extension cable route first though!!).
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - commerdriver
reasonable thought, the silly bit is that for the setup phase most wireless routers I looked at seemed to need to be temporarily connected via an ethernet cable.
Once it's working though, far better than cables all over the house.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - GregSwain
reasonable thought the silly bit is that for the setup phase most wireless routers I
looked at seemed to need to be temporarily connected via an ethernet cable.

True, but it doesn't need to be connected to the phoneline for setup - it's just a matter of turning wireless access on, giving your network a name, setting up the security and getting a network "key" to access the router wirelessly.

Argos has quite a selection of wireless ADSL routers - get one that's bundled with a USB wireless interface dongle and that's all you'll need to surf anywhere in the house.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - Mapmaker
>>(I'd really recommend trying the extension cable route first though!!).

Why is it a better solution?
>>Why is it a better solution?

It's a much easier solution, and cheaper too.

Don't get me wrong - wireless routers are great (I've got two). You do need to have a bit of technical knowledge to get them set up securely though. If you don't need one though, get an extension cable instead.
Poor quality extension cables can cause more problems than they solve - attenuation and SNR can change dramatically with just one weak link between your router and the BT exchange.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - JH
L
you could connect a router, wireless or not, to your master socket and send Ethernet over mains. See Broadbandstuff.co.uk and click on "homeplug network". What you're doing is effectively putting a network connection anywhere there is a 13 amp socket.
JH
Far less hassle to get a bundled router and wireless interface card, and just have a secure wireless network. So what if you have to plug it into the comptuer for 5 minutes to configure the wireless networking?
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - Baskerville
Actually I disagree. Wireless is great if the computer moves around a lot, but for a static PC the ethernet over powerline thing works extremely well. It is truly plug and play and is a lot faster than wireless. I've been using it for about three years now (from long before it hit the shops in a big way) alongside wireless, which we've had here for over five years, and I can say that Homeplug is by far the easiest to set up, most 'fit and forget' home networking technology I have ever come across.

On one part of our property we have a wireless AP connected to a switch/printserver, connected to a secondary router via a homeplug thing and 90 feet of armoured mains cable and it is the wireless that is the weakest link in terms of data throughput. For streaming media Homeplug is far and away the best option short of running actual network cables.

I think what you meant to say is that it is cheaper to get a bundled router/wireless card.
Idiots guide to wireless routers needed - Stuartli
This is what is being discussed:

www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
Thanks Stuartli, that sounds like an interesting solution. I've dealt with Solwise in the past when I bought an ADSL filtered faceplate. I'm highly chuffed when all my friends and aquaintances confess to still having individual filters dangling out of all their telephone sockets.
--
L\'escargot.
Broadband at last? - mark(NEScotland)
Over a year ago I was attempting to install AOL's silver broadband on our Windows 98SE PC. I didn't manage to do this due to a variety of reasons not least of which was the capability of our (rural) phoneline.

StuartL very kindly provided help and a copy of 98 which was a requirement as part of the AOL installation process. I now believe that our exchange supports ADSL with a reasonable speed and I must now try to install broadband using our laptop and Windows XP; so my question is will I still need the system installation CD, which I don't have, as the laptop had system pre-installed on purchase?

thanks
Broadband at last? - billy25
If you are installing AOL broadband, all you need is the AOL broadband installation disc, this has your modem drivers (if your using modem) and aol 9.0 on it. If you are connecting via a router or wirelessly, you will need to install it (router) first using the router installation disc, then instal aol 9.0. Sometimes getting the Aol software to talk to a router can be a pain! be warned!.

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 09/10/2007 at 17:41

khoosys.net - gmac
Has anyone noticed how much is pushed down to your PC since the new website was launched from khoosys.net (the vendor of the software I believe) ?
My question is when I check the Privacy Policy of ads.khoosys.net there is no policy and advises to check with the website directly.
I can't find anything on the khoosys.net website regarding the privacy policy so I've blocked it.
I'm sure they are above board but nevertheless find I'm uncomfortable to allow anything with no privacy policy.
Anyone have any experience of dealing with this ?

Edited by gmac on 09/10/2007 at 13:49

USB back-up image of a C drive? - buzbee
Hi, I would be interested in the answers to the following questions, as, no doubt, would others.

1) Using an external USB hard disk, such as the Seagate 400 GB one currently being offered, is it possible to make an image of the C-drive, such that C can be restored in the event of a crash?

2) Any special software needed other than something like Ghost?

3) Assuming a 'yes' to the above, can the 400 GB first be partioned into 2 x 200 GB ones so that one half can be used for that so as to leave the other half for data back-up?

4) Back now with ordinary hard disks, and a partitioned one in particular, if you take such a disk and use it internally as an extra drive inside another computer, will the partitioned 'drive' part be visible and the data extractable?

Sorry mods. Bit out of practice. Should have put it in the computer section.

{Now moved - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/10/2007 at 13:40

USB back-up image of a C drive? - GregSwain
1) Yes, but any corrupt data already on your C: drive will still be corrupt - I'd personally back-up individual files, and reinstall your OS from scratch.

2) Ghost should do the job, as long as your BIOS recognises USB hard drives.

3) In theory, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. As I've said, it's far better to whack Windows on from scratch, no corrupt data. Back up your important files by all means, but taking an image of a hard-drive which will already contain some corrupt data isn't a great way to do it.

4) Yes. Depending on your OS, it will either just appear in "my computer", or you'll have to "add hardware" via control panel.
USB back-up image of a C drive? - Stuartli
I've just bought the Seagate (400GB one touch model) for £58 from Scan, plus a new 320GB internal hard drive.

My original 60GB internal drive was cloned to the new drive using Norton Ghost and the Seagate is used for backup.

I don't see why you can't clone your current hard drive's contents to the Seagate, providing that the installation is working OK to prevent problems.

You can partition the Seagate drive as you wish using either Windows Disk Management or the Seagate equivalent on the CD-ROM that is supplied.

The Seagate also comes with very high quality USB and mains adapter leads.

It's not all that many years ago since I paid £65 for a 6.4GB hard drive - gigabytes these days are "as cheap as chips"..:-)
Of course I would take an image before the crash, in order to have a working PC after restoration. No point in restoring the crash.

My motherboard can boot from most things, allegedly, including a USB port.

Stuartli, yes, I think it was a previous post of yours that brought the Seagate drive to my attention, and I was about to get one. I was just a bit concerned about the prospects of getting an image via the USB and afterwards being able to transfer that image to a re-formated internal hard disk via the USB port, in case it did not work.

I suppose I could do an experiment in which I take an image then disconnect the existing internal drive and see whether the PC will then boot up using USB Seagate drive.

USB back-up image of a C drive? - jbif
Hello buzbee.

You can do all the things you asked. In fact, Seagate provide a cut down version of Acronis Disk Imaging software named "Diskwizard" free.
www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwi...d
read chapter 4 at www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf
You will see from the screenshots that it is in fact Acronis software.

More details of cloning and partitioning techniques can be found here.
radified.com/index2.html
ghost.radified.com/
partition.radified.com/
radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

USB back-up image of a C drive? - jbif
There is a FAQ on the Seagate site which I think is worth reading
tinyurl.com/32dxwv
How can I copy / transfer all the data from my old boot drive to my new Seagate drive?

This article explains how to copy the operating system from an existing boot drive to a new drive using DiscWizard. The procedure will copy the entire contents of the old drive, which includes all the partitions, programs, files, operating system, etc., to the new targeted drive.

Edited by jbif on 10/10/2007 at 21:17

jbif, thanks for that. I will have a read. I have already ordered the Seagate drive.
USB back-up image of a C drive? - Stuartli
if and when you get the Seagate, it's worth noting that you can download the latest version of the BounceBack software from the CMS website (www.cmsproducts.com).

A better interface is part of the package (the one supplied with the drive resembles something akin to a wild west saloon bar exterior).
USB back-up image of a C drive? - billy25
if you are thinking of trying a boot from the external drive via usb, first make sure that you have "Legacy Usb" enabled in bios, this will allow usb drivers to be loaded at boot to enable it to see your external drive.

illy
Hi Billy, I was assuming I would just need to select 'boot from USB' on the motherboard setup. Is that what is meant by legacy?
USB back-up image of a C drive? - geoff1248
So does this mean that if you clone your existing hard drive (including the O/S) onto an external drive you do not need any software on another machine because you can boot it up from the external drive via the USB. So if you have more than one PC you only need one copy of the software as you can boot all the PCs up from the external drive as needed. I know it's illegal but it's just hypothetical...
USB back-up image of a C drive? - Baskerville
So does this mean that if you clone your existing hard drive (including the O/S)
onto an external drive you do not need any software on another machine because you
can boot it up from the external drive via the USB.

Depends on the OS. With Linux it is routine. See:

www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash.html

To mention just one.

With Windows not so much. They thought of that and figured it would help their business plan to force you to buy several copies.
To be honest booting an operating system from an external drive is far from an ideal way to use a computer, but it can i believe be used in an emergency to "get you into" a machine that is having boot up probs. In the Bios menu, you usually have a boot priority section where you can choose the order that the machine will try to boot in e.g floppy first, cd-rom second, hard-drive c third, or such like. You can do this because the floppy/cd-rom drivers are loaded seperately from the windows operating system, the usb drivers are usually loaded as part of windows, and so are not active until windows is loaded. However, there is an option on most mother boards to allow a very basic set of usb drivers to be loaded at start-up pre-windows, this is usually listed as "Legacy Usb" in the bios and is usually disabled by default. Enable this, then in the boot priority list enable "Boot from other device" this should then allow computer to seek o/s from external source, just as it would seek from floppy or cd. however! and theres always one! not all mother boards have the "boot from other device" option, in that case if you enable legacy usb, and computer still wont see your external drive, you are back to square one.

Billy
USB drive update

I got the USB 400 GB Seagate drive.

Then I thought it a good idea to to give it three near-equal partitions, G, H and I, of about 130 GB each, as my existing C & D drives are only 75 GB each.

That went off OK, using windows own software although, afterwards, the format option was only NTFS, which I let it do (drive arrives as FAT32). And, when I looked, the three new disks could be seen in 'my computer'. So far so good.

Then I saw that with an update to BB Professional, you can allegedly restore the C-drive if the PC crashes, so I bought that and used it to do the first back-up. In the process, it insisted on re-formatting the Seagate (400 GB) drive again and in the process produced two, near equal, FAT32 partitions. Incidentally, the update install first removes the original BB software!

The other change was, when it had finished, the two extra drives did not show in 'My Computer'.

However, if you look via start *run*compmgmt.msc by selecting 'Disk management', they do show in both size and format type and the F one is listed as 'Active'.

I have yet to try looking to see the files using BounceBack.

Edited by buzbee on 13/10/2007 at 20:36

Disks visible in 'My Computer' today after the new re-boot. System back-up was only 8 GB of the C's 21 GB and so, I guess, it has left out all the program files. Does not appear to have an option to back up C complete with system in one go. At least if it has, I have not found it. Have/will do a back-up of C to separate folder. My D backed up went OK.

So it looks to be working, sort of, OK today.

But I don't rate the user screen as being anywhere near user friendly. The one that comes with the USB Seagate drive is certainly rather odd looking, as is that of the Pro version. I should have tried the update stuartli refers to, to see what that is like. I wonder if there is a Pro version?
Had a very quick look at the BB software features last night, as I know nothing about it! - so quite possibly got this wrong! ;-) but i was led to believe that using BB you cannot do a "reboot" from the external drive (like you mentioned you may like to do) if you are using Windows, this is just a "Mac" feature, to reboot Windows you need to buy a BB Rescue disk. Apparently!.

Billy
USB back-up image of a C drive? - Baskerville
Like I said above: "With Windows not so much ..." You can actually boot a Mac from another Mac if you have a Firewire cable to connect them together.
Booting: When I bought BB Pro. I also ordered a $10 CD they recommend/sell. I will know more when I get it but I think that enables booting.
Filling in forms online - L'escargot
Some online forms require your email address to be typed into one box and then require it to be repeated in the box immediately below. What's the value of the repeat? Is it just to check that you got it right the first time?
--
L\'escargot.
Filling in forms online - geoff1248
Yup,just to avoid typos
How much for an equivilent spec laptop please? - Hugo {P}
Hi

Due to a number of issues I've experienced with very poor customer service WRT a warranty repair I have now been offered a sum of £499 to replace a 3 year old laptop. It's a long story but this is the policy of the repair outfit that deals with it.

I am not convinced that the offered sum will fund something that is of equivilent specification.

So, I really would appreciate help from those who are in the know. The specification is

Make and Model No. Advent 7039

Mobile AMD Athalon 64 3000+ Processor
ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64 MB DDR RAM (Graphics card??)
16 Bit Soundchip and 2 integrated speakers
15" TFT Colour display
40GB hard disk
512 MBDDR Ram
Combo CD/DVD RR etc
Card Reader for secure Digital, Multimedia card and memory stick
Wireless Lan 802.11gwith up to 54Mbit/s

10/100 Mbit Fast ethernet LAN and 56k V.90 Modem

Ports and interfaces

2x PCMCIA type 11 or1xPCMCIA type 111
4x usb 2.0
1x IEEE 1394
1x VGA out
1 x TV out
1x LAN (RJ45)
1 x Modem (RJ11)
1x lrdA
1x microphone in
1x line in
1x line out incl S/P-Dif

I would appreciate opinions on where I would be able to get an equivilent specification from, and for what price. I know that HD capacities etc would be larger but I need to run the following on it.

Sims 2
Video editing software
Various office applications

Thanks you

Edited by Hugo {P} on 11/10/2007 at 22:06

How much for an equivilent spec laptop please? - VR6
I would say yes. A quick look on ebuyer shows this Asus Lapton for £550. It has a newer AMD processor at 1.8GHz, more ram, more HD space, a lot of connection options, not sure about the sound card though. www.ebuyer.com/product/130953 . I'd take it if I were you.

Edited by VR6 on 12/10/2007 at 19:23

How much for an equivilent spec laptop please? - billy25
The model shown in VR6's link is a well spec'd machine with superior memory, hard disk, sound card, and graphics card to your original laptop, more than capable of the tasks you have identified for its use.
So i concur with above post and say you won't find much better for an additional £50, - go for it!

Billy
Thanks for that.

unfortunately the spending power will be in PC World Vouvhers :(.

So, I am ideally looking at PC world, Dixons or Curries
How much for an equivilent spec laptop please? - billy25
pc world (v)ouch!(ers) - well take a look at the Toshiba A200-151 model they have, very similar specs to the aforementioned, and still a more than adequate for your uses. bit dearer though at £550.
Thanks Billy.

You're right about PC World though ;)
How good are Memory sticks? - former farmer
I may be asking the wrong question, but it is to do with being unable to restore data to a book-keeping program after a mix up.

I know, as I quess most people do, that the old floppy disk had it limitations and two back ups were advisable to ensure that one was usable.

Where I work we use a Sage package with Vista on the computer, and for the daily back up we have a series of memory sticks. On a couple of occasions recently when trying to restore data I have run into problems.

What I would be interested to learn is whether one can check the 'worth' of the back up before one finds that it is corrupted at a later date?
How good are Memory sticks? - Hugo {P}
The method I would choose is use of Rewritable CDs.

I don't remember having major problems with 3.5 inch disks, maybe I was just lucky.
How good are Memory sticks? - Stuartli
The method I would choose is use of Rewritable CDs.>>

I would use CD or DVD-R disks - RW disks have a very much lower level of reflectivity than -R media (basically because of the need for the ability to rewrite if necessary) and, in some cases, an optical drive may not be able to read them.

If you use a CD or DVD-R disk in multisession form you can use it until it is full (do a second disk at the same time as an additional backup).

The main thing to remember, at least with Nero, is to ensure that after each multisession stage you Save the folder containing the files etc; once the disk is full it can be Finalised before the final burning session.
How good are Memory sticks? - geoff1248
If you have Sage cover I suggest you contact Sage for details of their procedure for Backup verification. Also I would consider using an External Harddrive for backup. For £60 you can get a drive which will hold far more than just your accounts.
How good are Memory sticks? - Stuartli
>>using an External Harddrive for backup>>

See comments earlier in the thread re the Seagate external 400GB hard drive.

Once a backup has been created, incremental backups are basically one push of a button away.
How good are Memory sticks? - adverse camber
I wouldnt bother with incrementals.

It increases your risk of data loss.

The only reason people ever did incrementals was because in the bad old days the time taken for a backup to tape (reel to reel) and the amount of tape needed (manual changes) was a genuine inconvenience.

With the current cost of media and rthe speed of the media that isnt an issue for home users. Just do full backups
How good are Memory sticks? - mfarrow
I have an external NAS server connected via network (I hate connecting my backup all to one basket). I've never had a problem with memory sticks and they'll be quick for what you're after.

For backup software I use the freeware Allway Sync www.allwaysync.com/ which can be scheduled to backup when you put your memory stick in or by time/day.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Which Toshiba Laptop to buy ? - Claybuster
had a Tosh A100-147 Equim laptop which I was quite happy with until my daughter snaffled it for Uni, I now need to buy a new one. I want to stick with Toshiba and have narrowed it down to 2. Sat Pro A200-18P and L40-12Q. Both about the same price and more importantly both qualify for Toshiba's money back guarantee and cashback offer. Slight difference in Processors? (means nothing to me) 12Q doesn't have a card reader or a Trubrite screen and is down on 1 USB port, 18P has only 512 memory and slightly slower Processor. Any ideas which to go for, and will the differences, make any difference?

SLT

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/10/2007 at 19:09

Which Toshiba Laptop to buy ? - billy25
Hi,
On paper the 12q would be my choice, and in my opinion is the superior machine, just for starters you are getting 1gb memory as against 512mb, a larger h/drive, and it does also have "Truebrite" screen. It really depends on your uses, if you are mainly using it for Office applications and surfing the net, the slightly cheaper 18p will be ok. but for the sake of £15 quid or so i would plump for the 12q. It also has Vista home installed as against XP. Vista will eventually be the way forward, but you may find some early compatibility problems.

Billy