Car masking on TV adverts - TimOrridge
Hi all BR'ers

Why are more or less all cars on TV adverts have their front and rears disguised in some way. Several adverts I refer (there are many more) to are the car tax one where the Audi A4 get crushed but the front and back lights and grille have been altered to hide its shape
Also the the recent new ford mondeo advert which IIRC all ford cars are in the advert. The guy pushing his car (hevaily altered ford Sierra with an 04 plate on) and floats away at the end.

Is there a reason for this. Copyrights?? I though a ford car on a ford advert espically would need disguising

Sorry for the spelling, hungover. It made intersting debate in the pub last night but got no answers
Car masking on TV adverts - mfarrow
I don't think Audi would be too happy if they saw their car being crushed on TV. They hide them so the majority of the public can't see it.

The Ford one does make me wonder though. Usually carmakers don't mind showing their previous models in a derogatory way - remember Kev/Bev and their Volvos? Also the home-owever loan/Carcraft style adverts which feature manufacturers' models as product placement in the "case study".

--------------
Mike Farrow
Car masking on TV adverts - Chris White
I've guessed that it's down to car makers not wanting their cars to be viewed in a negative light (not too sure on the Ford one though).

There's one around at the moment, possibly for the Nissan Note?, where people are trying to pile stuff into their cars they doesn't fit and the cars explode and the contents are strewn everywhere (think I spotted a Mk3 Astra in there somewhere).
Car masking on TV adverts - Pete M
There's a public service advertisement on New Zealand TV at the moment, showing a car cornering too fast and going off the road complete with rollover. It's obviously a new model Ford Falcon, but the badges front and rear have been removed. Ford are not happy about it and are trying to get it pulled.
Car masking on TV adverts - jc2
Kev/Bev and their Volvo are Ford owned!
Car masking on TV adverts - Soupytwist
Kev/Bev and their Volvos were advertising AA branded unsecured loans
--
Soupytwist !
Car masking on TV adverts - Tornadorot
I guess that the makers of adverts for cars (rather than car insurance etc.) don't want the viewers to be distracted or confused by other models - and other manufacturers would be offended if their models were shown undisguised in an unfavourable light. It is fun trying to see throught the disguises though :-).
Car masking on TV adverts - Victorbox
I thought it was hilarious that the ad agency for the new Mondeo should use mainly old Ford models poorly disguised shown being given the boot to prove that the latest Ford is better. Surely a bit of a gaff there? Perhaps they realised their mistake as the later shortened ads removed many of the Fords.
There was an article in a recent edition of Creative Review about the making of the floating cars Mondeo ad - I'll look in my back issues and try to dig it out.
They did actually make some out of carbon fibre so that they could be lifted by balloons.
--
Soupytwist !
This is a summary of an interview with Mark Mason the Special Effects Supervisor on the Mondeo ad, he works for a company called Asylum, which appears in the June 2007 edition of Creative Review.

The idea for outmoded cars floating away was dreamt up by the ad agency. The most obvious solution to cars floating away would be to lift the cars on cranes and take out the wires in post production. They decided that this would work with some shots but others needed actual balloons to lift actual cars. Each car was individually designed.

Three crane cars were made - a small 2 door, a saloon and a 4x4. They bought a donor car for each model and then cut it up, changed the bodywork to match the designs by welding body panels back on and using loads of filler. They were then primed and painted. New lights, body trim, wipers, badges, mirrors were made to the production designer's specifications. They also repainted the crane cars half way through the shoot so that they could be used for other shots.

They also made 3 carbon fibre cars a small 2 door, a saloon and an estate. Again they bought three donor cars which were modified to the designs and moulded in fibreglass. Once the moulds had cured, they were removed from the cars and pre-impregnated carbon fibre was laid into the moulds. Structural foam was added in some areas to increase strength. After a day in the oven to set the carbon fibre the mould was removed leaving the black shell duplicate of the original car. The shells were finished off by hand and then painted.

The windows were done using a fabric gauze as plastic or Perspex would have been to heavy. Reflections were added in post production. The target weight for the small 2 door was 25kg and 40kg for the estate.

They decided to have balloons made containing 11 cubic metres of helium, made from polyurethane no more than 0.2mm

Finally they created a helium filled car that would float on its own. This was done by vac forming Styrofoam over tools machined by Computer Numeric Control to designs drawn up in Cinema 4D. The car parts were glued together and a foil bag to hold the helium was fitted inside the car - this one weighed only 4.5kg

The shoot took ten days, including four days over two weekends in various London locations. They contacted the CAA and on their advice had safety valves fitted to the lifting balloons so they would deflate if they reached a certain height.

Asylulm put 14,000 man hours into this - they had 7 weeks before the shoot and were working on cars in their workshops as the shoot was progressing. Cars required on set at 8am were generally finished at 4am that day. They had around 30 people working on the cars and 10 more just doing the carbon fibre.

The real cars left at the end of the shoot will be recycled for materials, the others will be stored in case they can be used for something else.

There's a great picture in the article of one of the cars and its balloons stuck up a tree.

--
Soupytwist !
Car masking on TV adverts - Pugugly {P}
Just watched the ad on Ford's site. Realised I have actually seen it in the telly without realising what the ad was about. Well you could hardly say that about the Skoda Fabia ad could you ?