Warrenty Validity - Bob
I've just spent a few happy moments reading some of the archives from the "Technical Backroom". There seems to be a thread running through them of bad servicing by main dealers. This exactly reflects my experiences with company cars, which is why I do it myself on cars that I own. Coming to the question of warrenties the stamping of a service book is not only no evidence of a service being done correectly, it is, in my experience, no evidence of the service being done at all, not even the bonnet openned. As far as the validity of new car warrenties is concerned it is my view that so long as manufacturers parts are used and that there is a comprehensive service record (not just a stamp in a book) then, unless they can prove otherwise, the manufacture has no legal ground to refuse warrenty claims solely on the basis that a main dealer did not do the servicing. This view corresponds to my recent reading of the Toyota warrenty contract. Any comments
Warrenty Validity - Dave N
It is true that it only has to be serviced 'in accordance with manufacturers specification', but when push comes to shove, your only way to force the issue is to take them to court. Individual versus multi-national company!

Warrenty Validity - chris p crisps ©
i would agree about the service book stamp being no proof at all of any service being carried out, when i bough a galaxy from a ford dealer he admitted that the next service record was stamped regardless of any work carried out just a "quick check" if that.fortunately this dealer no longer trades as far as i am aware

chris
Sales service. - M.M
One to beware of on a vehicle sold by a main dealer or smaller trader is a "sales service".

This is almost nothing at all carried out to give you a stamp in the book but taking minimal costs from their deal.

I had an expensive vehicle in the other month purchased at the point it was due a major 36K service, coolant/brake fluyid cahnges plus a timing belt. The book was stamped up with a sales service and only the oil had been changed.

David W