ESP & Engine Management lights on - cause? - arnold2
Hi,
MkIV Golf I have been driving for a while has had the ESP & Engine Management lights come on suddenly. The engine starts up a bit odd - the engine revs go up & down from about 500-1000, and can cut out when it drops below 500. But, once warmed up it's fine, although the fuel consumption seems to have gone up a bit.

It's the 8v engine, has about 100k on the clock. Odd thing it had the same fault (engine management light on) last year and the local Skoda garage replaced a faulty Lambda probe.... any ideas anyone where I should look - I suspect if I take it into most garages they will just start replacing the other Lambda probes but this sounds like there may be a fault somewhere else...
ESP & Engine Management lights on - cause? - maltrap
probably the chapest way of finding out is to go to a recommended small independant garage with a fault code reader for vw.
ESP & Engine Management lights on - cause? - StuartA
I had "esp "," abs and "engine workshop now" coming up on my Passat , which turned out to be the brake switch , you can tell if its this by checking if your brake lights come on. The fault code check showed an intermittent on the brake switch.