Diesel - Sluggish after timing belt change. - bikemadbaz
HI, can anyone help. i have just fitted a new timing belt to my mates car. 106 diesel. After he snapped the cam when the timing belt adjuster gave up the ghost. put all the pins in set it all up spot on, ( what a nightmare). now takes ages to start up, then you have to rev the life out of it to get it to pull away. It crawls up the street at such a slow pace a kid on a tricycle passed me the other day. and it stalls at every gear change down. PLEASE has anyone got any advice as to what could be wrong. thanks
s

Assume tricle was a typo and corrected it ! - PU
diesel. so slow. - Screwloose

Year and engine code/size?

What else was done? Cam? Valves? Deck heights? How many notches on the gasket? Keyways checked?

Where did the parts come from?

diesel. so slow. - Saltrampen
After a cambelt snap, I'd assume the valves would need inspecting. Are you getting lots of black smoke? Sounds like the compression may have gone due to valve problem.
diesel. so slow. - 659FBE
If the cambelt did snap on this engine the valves would strike the pistons and damage would be caused. We really need to know exactly what happened and what was done.

With regard to setting the belt, if your engine is a TUD5 (iron block 1525 cc) you need to be aware of the correct method of setting the vernier timing adjusters on the cam and pump wheels. Just pinning the engine and changing the belt won't do. Not doing this could leave the injection timing far enough out to give seriously reduced engine output.

If you can give an accurate report of what happened and what has been done to date, I can describe the correct method of setting these wheels - it's not difficult.