phuts out at junctions. - FotheringtonThomas
1995 2.0 Ecotec, 167,000 miles. This a.m. it wouldn't easily start after driving for 3 miles then waiting for 5 minutes, also when waiting at junctions the engine has a tendency to run slower and slower then stop (seems to re-start OK, mostly, occarional repeated attempts needed). Any ideas what's up? If any further info. would be useful I'll try & give it!
s
Cavalier phuts out at junctions. - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd start by cleaning the IACV:-

82.34.52.15/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/a...m
Cavalier phuts out at junctions. - peter973
I'd start by cleaning the IACV:- 82.34.52.15/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/a...m

This is now at:
http://62.31.178.162/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/automotive/How_to/General/ecotecidlevalve.htm

Cavalier phuts out at junctions. - Screwloose
FT

That year might have flash codes available by flashing the relevant diag socket pin to earth.

I'd wonder about the coolant temp sensor or it's connexions.
phuts out at junctions. - clinicallyginger
I have a 171,000 mile ecotec in a Nreg cav SRi suffering the same.
It NEVER dose it on start in the morning, But allways at the jucntion out of work 5pm as i go home! restarts 1st time and gets me home with out happing again. (suspect my BOSS or idle stabilisation control valve or somthing temp related) since afternoons are a fair bit warmer than 6 am currently.
it started almost a month ago then crank sensor 'went' killing engine stone dead, it just switched off like you had turned the key off.
It was replaced (only £90) and I thought the stalling would stop.

It didnt and it is an unrelated to the problem we both have currently, but just a heads up as our engines have covered about the same distance.
phuts out at junctions. - SpamCan61 {P}
Crank sensor or coolant temperature sensor would be my next ports of call after the IACV has been cleaned, I'd definately do that first as it costs nowt and is fairly simple to do, if the IACV is sticking the idle revs will never be stable. The coolant sensor can be checked easily if you are handy with a multimeter, see info here:-

www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/cts/cts.htm
phuts out at junctions. - Number_Cruncher
Among the other things to check when having idling problems is that the throttle plate/body hasn't been gummed up and the throttle isn't shutting properly.

You might think that the throttle not shutting properly would be a good thing when you've an idling cutting out problem - indeed, many owners and mechanics mistakenly fiddle with the throttle stop screws. However, if the throttle position sensor does not measure a fully closed throttle (within a voltage tolerance which I've long since forgotten!), the idle control circuit will not be activated, and the IACV will not work properly, no matter how clean it is.

So, while cleaning the IACV, clean the throttle body too, and don't be tempted to play with the throttle stop screw or the throttle cable while you're there!

Number_Cruncher
phuts out at junctions. - Pugugly {P}
"within a voltage tolerance which I've long since forgotten!"

Whaaaaaaaaat !