93 SRi Cost of replacing susp.bushes & Steer issue - stunorthants26
Im taking a 93 Corsa SRi in part ex on my Fiat. It needs the rear bushes doing badly - anyone know the rough cost of this work?

There is also a wobble through the steering - not very bad but enough to be annoying! Any clues as to what could cause this?

Other than that the car drives very well so Im hoping it can be turned round quite easily.
s
93 SRi Cost of replacing susp.bushes & Steer issue - Simon
What kind of wobble through the steering? The obvious thing could be a wheel balance issue, but it could be down to warped discs, tyre out of round, bent rim etc etc - the list goes on. Can you be more specific?
93 SRi Cost of replacing susp.bushes & Steer issue - bell boy
Never seen worn bushes on the beam on these corsa"s ,rust a plenty yes,might be quicker to change the axle over from a scrappy as i cant imagine you would get the bushes out at home
I would stick it in for the test and see what the man says,make sure the rear springs arent broken at the top before you do though as this is common on this model and sticking brake cables in those absurd nylon clips
Swap the wheels front to back for your shimmy and see if it goes

Good luck,deal done then?

i never saw the reason the sissy had to go?
Well its been diagnosed by an independant 3rd party as needing bushes doing at the back - I personally am not sure - when driving along, over a big bump, theres a loud knocking at the back - to me it sounded like the exhaust hitting somewhere, but the person who disgnosed it has alot of credibility so maybe its just one of those things.
I will check the springs - what am I looking at for parts and labour on these if this is indeed the problem?

I will swap the wheels, see how it goes.

Get the car later in the week.

Im getting rid of the Fiat mainly because its just too small for what I need now, even though my gf and I broke up last night, I still do need a bigger car to carry my nans wheelchair and for family holidays when we take alotta junk. I also want to indulge my passion for oddball executive cars of the 80's now Im single and allowed to!
93 SRi Cost of replacing susp.bushes & Steer issue - bell boy
springs are £25 each new,but s/h good will do if you have a local scrappie,slacken shocker top nuts and undo ,jack up on the end of the sills where its double skinned,ideally at both sides together and the axle drops down and spring will nigh on fall out
reversal as they say,ten minute job (usually)
the knocking could be the shocker top as well
i would still put it in for the test before i got the bushes done

thanks for update on reasons car went as i still like them anyway,forgot you were buying a guzzler ;-)
I spoke to my mechanic today and he said the knocking is most likely either broken spring/s or the tops of the shocks are broken. Good call guys. He didnt even mention the bushes so i think that can be ruled out.

He reckoned the tyres were prob at fault with the steering and a swap with the rears would most likely sort that unless there was a real issue with them.

Im looking forward to my guzzler - wish it could be a V6 Lancia Thema but as I recall, they arent what you would call solid on the engineering front. Still the classiest mainstream italian saloon of the 80's tho, even better than the Alfa 164 ( less showy ).