Volkswagen Bora - Secondhand VR6 good car ? - trickydicky
Thinking of buying one of these,I only do about 5000 miles a year and dont mind getting my hands dirty,But are there any serious problems with engine or transmition to worry about.Any advice would be gratfully received.Thanks

s
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - cheddar
I had a 150 bhp V5 for a short while in IIRC late 2000, it was pretty good to drive, better than the equivilent Golf, the 170 bhp V5 is less torquey at low revs though a little crisper, the VR6 should be the best of both worlds unless the extra engine weight dulls the handling.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - Screwloose
TD

Don't buy one with any sort of rattle from the timing chain. [Gearbox end of the engine.]
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - pd
Yes, they're very good cars, but make sure you get one which has been looked after. A cheap VR6 is not necessarily a bargain!

It should be very smooth (the engines can sound slightly lumpy at idle but not excessively so) and should pull strongly and smoothly right through the range.

Check the CV joints, that the Haldex oil has been changed on schedule, check for water leaks in the rear footwells (common door seal fault and not a deal breaker) and check for any aftermaket modifications. Avoid cars with the wrong wheels, lack of history etc. You're better off with an older, say, 2001 two owner 50k fsh example than a 2003 80k with 18" wheels and missing stamps.

The clutch slave cylinder can also fail (gearchange gets difficult as car gets warmer) which is a pain but not the end of the world.

A good VR6 has quite a following and should hold its price well too. Note that a Bora/Golf V6 4Motion is not a sports car and does not drive as one. It is a very refined, very fast and very accomplished mile eater but not a B-road champion.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - trickydicky
Thanks for the replies,I presume the timing chain rattle is caused by lack of oil changes Screwloose.i will definitely be looking for an original spec on standard rims with full service history.Thanks again
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - Screwloose
TD

Couldn't definitely say what causes it - but fixing it will set you back well topside of a grand.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - steveo3002
thrashing from cold causes the timing chains to wear alot

its still diy able but a big involing gearbox off
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - Aprilia
This engine is well known for destroying its timing chain at 80-100k. Regular serviced or not doesn't seem to make a great difference.
Its a bit of a nightmare job for fix (along with any consequential damage) because the chain is at the back of the engine and the crank sprocket is integral with the crank. Decent secondhand engines are very hard to come by. I know a trader who sold a car with one of these engines, the chain snapped a few weeks later and he had to cough up over £2k to have it repaired. Only buy after having the car looked at by someone who knows these engines.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - VR6
I wasn't aware of timing chains snapping on newer VR6 engines (im assuming the bora has the 24v Vr6 engine), but in the old 12V version the guides which 'guide' the chain around the top and bottom of the chains loop tend to wear down and disintergrate causing the chain to chatter, rattle and eventually break.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - pd
It's quite true the chain can cause problems on the old 2.8 & 2.9 VR6 12v engines - but you can hear it if it has really gone. There will be an audible "slap" heard from the chain.

Not heard of too many problems with the later 2.8 24v engine as fitted to the Golf & Bora 4Motions. These engines are used in all sorts of VW's and Audi's (including the A3) in various derivatives and capacities.

There is always a lot of talk on this forum that chain cam engines are something of a holy grail compared to cambelt engines. To be honest, chains wear out and break in the end just like cambelts and cost a lot more when they do - even if the mileage might be a bit higher.
Secondhand VR6 good car ? - trickydicky
Will have a good listen for timing chain noises and will carefully check service history,I was looking about 02 plate 4 motion 2.8 approx 60000 to 80000 miles.Was looking for a manual box has anyone heard of any clutch or transmition problems.
Thanks again for replies