2001 1.8 petrol: pinking/knocking - justmusic
Following my previous post, pinking has come back again (or never really went away). Tried different fuel but no improvement.

Engine knocks when using just enough throttle to maintain steady speed (eg 40mph up a slight hill in 4th). If I add more throttle there's a short burst of mega-pinking (about 0.25 sec) then OK. Basically typical pinking.

Car has just been serviced and local garage said problem fixed with new plugs. Apparently last service had put wrong plugs in. Guess what? Last service done by Ford...

Car is still pinking as before, so does anyone have any bright ideas before I start spending silly money on diagnostics? Are there any sensors that might be playing a part in this, that I could easily replace myself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
2001 1.8 petrol Mondeo: pinking/knocking - Screwloose
Gary

Pinking - if that's all it is - should be dealt with by the knock sensor. It has the capability, in conjuction with the ECU, to instantly retard the timing by silly amounts on any cylinder that pinks.

Either the knock-detection system isn't working [code-read needed] or this noise is something that adjusting the timing doesn't affect.