Astra MK2 Wheel bearing - Nick
My 90 H Astra nearside front wheel has started making a kind of "throbbing" noise when i drive along. It is not a grinding noise but sounds as if something could be rubbing intermitantly.
Could it be the wheel bearing? if so how much to replace,and can i fit it easily or do i need a garage to do it? If not the bearing what could it be?

Thanks guys
Re: Astra MK2 Wheel bearing - Keith Stockdale
Try steering, fairly hard, to the left and then again to the right.

If the noise stops when steering it is a wheel bearing. The hard steering takes most of the weight from the noisy bearing, so if the noise stops when you steer right it will be the right bearing at fault.

If you jack the car you may not notice any play on the bearing even though it is shot. You may, however notice grating when you rotate the hub. Dont mistake this for the brake pads rubbing.

The throbbing noise you observe sounds very much like a wheel bearing.

Bit of a pig of a job due to rusted bolts etc. You will probably need a few special tools like a hub press to remove the driveshaft from the hub. Also you will need a good quality balljoint seperator if you dont want to damage them. Consider the condition of your CV boots at this time, may be worth replacing them at the same time.

btw. in my experience when a bearing goes on one side, the one on the other side goes shortly afterwards.
Re: Astra MK2 Wheel bearing - Mike Harvey
Keith is right, it's not a DIY job. It should be about 1.5 hrs labour plus parts.
MIke