Previa TPS - what's it for really? - normd2
Last year I bought an old Previa that couldn't keep constant revs to save itself. To drive it at all it needed constant (although tiny) movement of the throttle to keep going, the revs would just die away to nothing making it dangerous in traffic. I found that if I disconnected the throttle position sensor it would run just fine although the idle revs seem a little high at about 900rpm. It's just been through its MOT and I had thought there would be emmissions issues but no - no problems there. Can anyone tell me why it works well without this sensor and what might the downside be of it not being fitted?

ps if anyone knows Previas they'll know how difficult it is for Joe Public to replace the TPS due to its position - you can see it, touch it but try getting a screwdriver to the screws....
sorry guys,
i can't believe no-one will respond to this maybe it's been missed somehow?
Previa TPS - what's it for really? - Aprilia
OK. On your car the TPS is basically a variable resistor (potentiometer) which tells the ECU the position of the throttle.

Thottle position is used to sense idle (i.e. throttle closed) and WOT (wide open throttle) for e.g. disengagement of air-con compressor and changes to mixture and timing. Rate-of-change of throttle position is used to sense acceleration demand and hence enrichment requirement.

Disconnecting the TPS will mean that the ECU substitutes a default value. I would expect degraded acceleration (hesitation?) and WOT perfromance to be noticable.
no - no hesitation at all, it's 17 years old and gets to 70 quicker than a colleague's 3 year old 2.3 Galaxy - drag racing people carriers - sad isn't it? WOT and the thing goes like a rocket (ok a rocket with all the properties of a brick outhouse) The only difference I can see between this one and my previous 2 Previas is a slightly increased idle speed.
ps what's air-con got to do with it? don't have it.
pps no kids involved in the alleged drag racing - driver only.