120 quid a year - Mahatma Coate
So, it would cost every motorist 120 quid a year to pay for the backlog of road repairs. Excuse me? Wasn't that what the road fund licence was originally set up for? And isn't it slightly more than 120 quid a year?
Re: 120 quid a year - Steve
Daft tax if ever there was one, probably costs £50 to collect and administer. Tnen there's the non-payers....makes you weep.
Re: 120 quid a year - pete w
paid £110 on monday for 12 months tax on 2001 1.7 td astra.previous 6 months was £88, have tax bands changed this much or was i lucky.
Re: 120 quid a year - Trevor Potter
Well, you were either lucky or have not read about new car tax being based on emmision levels.
Re: 120 quid a year - vansboy
You won't feel lucky if you get caught displaying an invalid excise disc, due to (inadvertently) obtaining it without paying the correct duty.
Best get down the Consignia office sharpish!!
Mark
Re: 120 quid a year - Tomo
£160 for Toad-san and he'll only ever do 1,500 miles in the year, probably. A few of them quick, mind you!
Re: 120 quid a year - Mark
No they haven't changed at all.

£160 pa last year (£88 half year) should be £160 this year.

They've charged you on the new rates which only apply to cars registered after 1 March 2001.

Can't see how they've managed to make a mistake on this as it is clear that your taxation class is PLG (i.e. £160) if pre 1/3/01 and PETROL CAR or DIESEL CAR if post 1/3/01 from your registration document/tax renewal form.

Aha.

I now see what's happened (sorry for thinking out loud).

You have taxed it without a proper renewal form, have hand filled a "tax a car" form at the PO, and have said "DIESEL CAR" or they have said so on your behalf.

You've paid the wrong amount. They will catch up with you I expect ... or maybe not ... but best to sort it out yourself first!
Re: 120 quid a year - Alf Hooker
Think that's bad ?

My Income tax has gone up by £80 per month for my company provided Audi A6 2.5TDI

so I am £960 worse off per year than last year due to this goverment's Theivery

alf
Re: 120 quid a year - CM
Poor you! The whole road next work is inundated by company car drivers (usually sitting in a traffic jam with lots of other single occupancy cars). Perhaps you should take public transport or failing this get a smaller car or why not buy your own?

Rant over - it is just because company cars are subsidised thus forcing up the price of cars to the private buyer.
WHAT wrong amount?

It IS a diesel!!
Re: 120 quid a year - Brian
The new taxable benefits will have come as a nasty shock to a lot of people with company cars.
Although it was trailed in advance (maybe so far in advance that it was ignored as something which would not have immediate effect) I don't think many people did the calculation to see how they would be affected.
Don't forget that the emission categories will be reduced year by year so this is just the beginning!
Re: 120 quid a year - Dave
Brian true!

My Dad did th emath and got something c*ap [1] saving a fortune. My Brother's gone for a Petrol Turbo Passat. It's gonna kill him! Prolly be cheaper to buy the car himself!

[1] 316
CM - Company cars subsidise the second hand market!

People with company vehicles include AA men, Lorry Drivers and Doctors.

As for public transport, don't make me laugh.

Travelling into central london alone from outside the M25 I *still* find it quicker and cheaper to go by car or bike. London prolly has the worst traffic and the best public transport in the country! If it doesn't work there where will it work?

Anywhere outside cetral london simply doesn't have any public transport.

Vale of Evesham from Gatwck: 4 hours! And I still need a car at both ends. Despite public transport being subsidised.

I worte a letter to My MP about this. He could recommend a better way of getting from my parents home to my home than a car or bike.

Public transport is a way of taking you to somewhere you don't want to go from somewhere you can't get to.
Re: 120 quid a year - Brian
Dave wrote "Public transport is a way of taking you to somewhere you don't want to go from somewhere you can't get to."
He missed out "At a time other than when you want to travel"
Re: 120 quid a year - ChrisR
Three years ago I used to commute by train from East Kent into central London three days a week, on one of the most decrepit lines in the South East. It was hell, but it took less time than by car, cost less, and was more reliable in terms of expected journey times. So public transport does work, even on a commute of fifty plus miles. Incidentally, I was able to use my commute for doing paperwork, which meant long lunches or early clocking off.

I currently use public transport to go into Liverpool between two and four days a week, depending on what I'm working on. My commute is about twelve miles. It's reliable, I can read or work while I'm travelling (yes, I know I could do that in the car, but you lot would complain about young people these days), it's quicker than by car, and, with parking costs, much cheaper. What can I say? Where have you been living?

Chris
The problem is that your example conflicts with the "Government anti-car conspiracy" ranters.

So is to be put down. Or failing that, YOU are to be put down, thus dis-crediting your example.

I could have sympathy for the view that some politicians (be they Local or Central) are incompetent (anybody seen Dobson after Lionel failed to get him as "puppet" London mayor?) AND the others make mistakes - but conspiracy?
Chris:

Crawley to Putney Bridge.

1:30 by car. Over two hours by train.

Cheaper even for one person - a family would be much cheaper.

And that's two places that have trains/busses.

Most places I visit don't have either.
Re: 120 quid a year - ChrisR
Dave

Maybe we're exposing the real problem here; that the quality of public transport in the UK depends very much on where you live. I've never really had a problem - at least not one that wouldn't also have been a problem in the car - but then I have tended to choose where I live to coincide with good rail/bus links.

Chris

PS I live in a rural area now, and I did in Kent too, so it's not necessarily a city/countryside thing.
Re: 120 quid a year - The
They did an experiment at the London Motorcycle and Scooter Show:

Journey from west to centre:

Scooter 17 mins
Car 35 mins
Bus 45 mins
Tube 49 mins (really relevant for the rest of us then)
Bicycle 56 minutes (not sure whether it was carrying a passenger and/or luggage)

And when I lived and worked in and around London I must admit there was one commute where it wasn't far quicker by car.

Errrrrrrmmmmmmm

Except, that is, at weekends, when the public transport didn't run on that route.