I Have a Question - Volume 191 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 192 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 191. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Estate agent retainer - Mapmaker
Off to view a property, and apparently the purchaser is to retain the estate agents at 2%. Fair enough. I was intrigued by the document I have to sign. Any comments?

"Dear Sirs,

Re: As per our agreement with ???????. relating to the purchase of the above property, our fee will be 2% + VAT of the total purchase price.

Please note that this fee becomes payable on exchange and must be paid in full on completion.

By signing this agreement you undertake to reserve and pay our fees on behalf of ???????.. upon completion of the above property

Please sign below and fax by return.

Upon receipt of this signed fee agreement together with the non-disclosure agreement from your clients we will provide further information on the above property.

Signed on behalf of the Estate Agent"

Interesting, has this become common practice in the UK as a a way to reduce the purchase price and hence payment of Stamp Duty equivalent? I assume GB has not found a way to incorporate buyers fees into the sale price?

Has the seller indicated what agreements / fees they have committed to? If they have a sole agency agreement with another agent , presumably there could be 2 lots of fees to be paid!

I would have thought they would be prepared to haggle on the %, particularly on higher priced properties since you can get as low round here as 1.25% as a seller.

What happens if you do not buy the property as a result of this viewing, and then buy at some future time ( from another agent) after a series failed tranactions for example? Seems a dangerous form to sign!

--

pmh (was peter)

Estate agent retainer - pmh
I have just reread the original posting, is this the full wording or just an abbreviated version? It looks as though,
1. You are paying on behalf of ?????? the seller? in which case it will be incorporated into the selling transaction price I think!
2. The agreement could also be interpreted as you agree to pay on completion of a sale to anyone! Ridiculous maybe, but that is what it appears to say!

What happens if you refuse to sign, or sign Mickey Mouse?

??????
--

pmh (was peter)

Estate agent retainer - Stuartli
Perhaps I've misunderstood the point, but my understanding (and experience) is that the seller pays the estate agent's commission.

You can certainly haggle about the commission as a seller; in fact in my area some estate agents used to charge a flat £999 + VAT until quite recently, which proved a good deal in view of local house prices.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Estate agent retainer - pmh
If you reread the OP it is the buyer who is paying! (and signing the agreement.
--

pmh (was peter)

Estate agent retainer - Clk Sec
>>>It is the buyer who is paying!

I can't see this agent getting very much business.

Clk Sec
Estate agent retainer - cheddar
Well you just knock an extra 2% + vat off the offer price so the agent potentially gets 2% less.

I.e:

Normal - 200k sale, agent gets 2% plus vat = £4700

Buyer pays - 195.3k sale agent gets 25 + vat = £4589
Estate agent retainer - Round The Bend
I would n't even bother to view a property if I had to sign a piece of paper first. I certainly would n't if I was expected to pay the agents fees. Can't see the vendor having much success here!

Anyway, 2% +VAT is too steep. We sold last year at around 1.5% + VAT.
Estate agent retainer - AlastairW
Estate agents 'qualifying' buyers is getting more common. Recently a client had to show a letter from my employer as his accountant detailing his profit for the last three years before an appointment could be made.
Travel insurance - VR6
Hello,

My parents are going away to India in November for 5 months. They are planning on doing this every year. They have asked me to look into travel insurance for them. I want to get the best cover I can, but not get ripped off. My main concern is the provision of healthcare over there incase anything goes wrong. They won't be travelling around India, and wont have a lot of expensive items on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions of companies?

From what I have seen some companies dont cover for holidays over 1 month.

Any help appreciated.
Travel insurance - daveyjp
If they are over 60 I suggest calling a broker. Backpacker insurance (extended saty policy) has strict upper age limits.
Travel insurance - Armitage Shanks {p}
Trawl around the price comparison sites. www.travelsupermarket.co.uk is a good start. I have an annual policy for unlimited travel in Europe for £44.90 and this gives me £5 Million of medical cover which is al I am personally bothered about - I am 68 BTW. I think where you will run into difficulty is the length of the stay - I am limited to 31 days in any one trip. Cover up to age 70 is available from Net Cover Dircet (Google it). Good luck and please tell us how you get on.
Travel insurance - paul45
Hi are your parents banking with a "premier" or higher value current account? The reason I ask is often these companies give free travel insurance. My bank with a premier account gives me free travel insurance. Of course there are time limits but you may only have to pay a top up rather than a brand new policy. Maybe worth a think about.

Travel insurance - billy25
is this link any good for you? has an on-line price calculator if thats any help.

tinyurl.com/yo3tfz

billy
Travel insurance - VR6
Thanks for the replies. I shall ask my parents who they bank with. The 31 day trip limit is the headache at the moment. As suggested I will try a local broker. I'll report my findings back on here.
Travel insurance - bintang
Beware of cover linked to credit cards. They may only apply if the holiday is booked with the card (1.5% surcharge at my travel agent). For this 77-year-old, the best deal for 2 weeks in Europe was £130 from Saga. I doubt car hire would be permitted at all.
paypal possible fraud - 1066
ive spent over a hour reading stuff on paypal and im still none the wiser.

a buyer wants to send me £1100 pounds through paypal for an ebay item he wants to buy.
he needs to use his credit card so he cant pay cash.

what can go wrong, as in can he stop the payment once he has collected the goods or will i need to wait a few days etc before he collects.

tia
paypal possible fraud - JH
b
I know the feeling! You'll probably get shifted over to computer related questions and end up next to mine! There's a lot of words in the Paypal docn but not a lot of meat. From what I've read you're bullet prrof in the circumstances you decribe but I will most certainly bow to more experienced (v my nil) posters.
JH
paypal possible fraud - Pugugly {P}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=53...5

Link to JH's question. Leaving it in here for now - PU
paypal possible fraud - adverse camber
someone had real problems after accepting paypal for a car sale - very recent - last couple of weeks saw the resolution. PhilW? It was an audi if that helps the search.
paypal possible fraud - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bigbirdy, maybe you are none the wiser but you are much better informed! LOL!
paypal possible fraud - Armitage Shanks {p}
Seriously though! Why not get him to transfer funds into PayPal, then you transfer them out of PayPal into your bank account, from which I guess they can't be reclaimed and then, when the money is really in an account that you control, ship the goods. Would the work and be fireproof?
paypal possible fraud - 1066
i think if he wants to use paypal then i'll withdraw the funds from my paypal account into my bank account and he can wait 5 days until i know it's in my bank account
paypal possible fraud - cheddar
My understanding is that if the buyer raises an issue Paypal reserve the right to reclaaim funds, so if your Paypal account is linked to your bank account this would mean the funds being reclaimed from your account or if it is linked to your credit card it would be in effect a charge against your card. I guess you could link with an account and leave it empty with no o/d facility however Paypal will be after you if they think they have justification.

I use Paypal for small transactions, for larger ones, there are issues with bank drafts these days so cash or a personal cheque alllowing time for it to clear are probably the best ways.

Unless the buyer has a Papal account in the name of Benedict, then you *should* be OK ;-)
paypal possible fraud - Martin Devon
DON'T ACCEPT IT. A colleague of mine sold a car the same way and the buyer informed paypal of many faults with the car of which there were none and the payment got withdrawn and 2 months later there is still no satisfactory outcome, and yes you've got it, he still has NOT got the car back. AVOID.

MD
paypal possible fraud - Mapmaker
DONT DO IT.

DONT DO IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES YOU ARE ABOUT TO LOSE £1200

DONT DO IT

DONT DO IT

Yes, I am shouting. Please do not sell this item to this seller. Paypal DOES NOT WORK for self collection, apart from for cars. With no proof of posting - and none of delivery, therefore - your buyer only has to click on a button to get all his money back.

GO AND POST THIS QUESTION ON THE EBAY COMMUNITY DISCUSSION BOARDS.

Of course, he may be perfectly honest, but I just doubt it. If he threatens to give you negative feedback then accept it, rather than lose £1,200.

It doesn't work like that. If it is recharged, he will still get his money back, you will owe Paypal £1200 and they will send the baliffs round.

DONT DO IT.

Cash, or cash, or cash. He can withdraw cash on his credit card from any bank machine in the country.

They then claimed that the card was used without authorisation.... How in hell I don't know, but I lost out not only the £65, but the item (of course) and a £12 Paypal admin fee because of the dispute. Part of this is Paypal not properly checking Card credentials (like the 3-digit security code on the back)

for your sum of money, Cash, or Bank Transfer (but waiting until confirmation from your bank that the funds are cleared before releasing the goods)
-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
paypal possible fraud - daveyjp
Cash directly into an account of yours (set up a seperate one just to receive this money), CHAPS for instant transfer or BACS if he is prepared to wait a couple of days for the funds to clear.

NOT PAYPAL
paypal possible fraud - Mapmaker
That said, 99.xxx% of eBayers are honest, and I couldn't be bothered with cashing cheques for sums under £100. One takes a view.

Cash, or cash, or cash. He can withdraw cash on his credit card from any bank machine in the country.

i never thought of that. I'll get them to put 100 or so in paypal as deposit and rest in cash on collection.
many thanks for great advice
paypal possible fraud - Stuartli
>>He can withdraw cash on his credit card from any bank machine in the country.>>

...and pay interest on it from the moment he withdraws it until it is paid off.
Texting - L'escargot
Is it possible to text USA from UK? My mobile is triband ~ does the receiving phone have to be triband as well?
--
L\'escargot.
Texting - Stuartli
It's certainly possible - I did it recently when one of the offspring was in New York; he also texted me. I don't think he has a tri-band phone.

But I think he arranged the facility in some way before he left with his phone company (T-Mobile/Virgin) as he met the costs of the texts.
Texting - Altea Ego
The offspring has a triband phone, He may not realise it, but to work in the states it needs the third band.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Texting - Clk Sec
My wife sends texts to a friend in the US. Can't help you with the tribant aspect, I'm afraid.

Clk Sec
Texting - Altea Ego
And yes - any mobile in the states can text/be texted to any mobile in the UK.,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Texting - sine
Triband just means you can use the phone in many other countries which use different transmission frequencies to UK.
It has no relevance on your phones ability to send texts to other countries.
A single band phone in UK can send and recieve a text from anywhere.
Texting - Clk Sec
This might help:

www.reviewcentre.com

Clk Sec
Texting - Clk Sec
Or more specifically:

tinyurl.com/2qe7ho

I hope!

Clk Sec
Texting - L'escargot
To text USA from the UK do you have to put any digits in front of the recipient UK phone number?
--
L\'escargot.
Texting - Clk Sec
I'm fairly certain my wife dials +1 when texting her friend .

Clk Sec
Texting - Clk Sec
>>>dials +1

Not giving my age away here, of course!

Clk Sec
Texting USA - L'escargot
Let me get this straight.

To text a UK phone in USA is it 001 followed by the UK number but with the first 0 of the UK area code deleted?

Similarly to text a UK phone from USA is it 0044 followed by the UK number but with the first 0 of the UK area code deleted?
--
L\'escargot.
Texting USA - cheddar
Yup or you can do + instead of 00.
Texting USA - Vin {P}
L'escargot - not quite. The simplest solution is this:

If you're texting someone who owns a phone with a US number (i.e. one sold in the USA) then remove the preceding zeros on their number and replace with +1. Thanks to the number format being the same everywhere in the USA, if you've done it right you'll have a number in the format +1 123 123 1234. Then text them.

To text a phone with a UK number, remove the preceding zero and replace with +44. e.g. +44 7890 123456

That works 100% of the time regardless of where the recipient or the sender of the text is.

Incidentally, you can change the stored number to the format shown above - it works for calls as well as texts. I travel abroad a reasonable amount, so I always store numbers in that format.

Hope this helps.

V

Texting USA - henry k
Spot on.

I store key UK numbers on my UK phone as +44 7890 123456. This still works in th UK as the system ignores the +44 and pops a 0 at the start.

Remember to check before taking a UK SIM card to be used abroad that you have requested "roaming" be switched on and on return request switching it off.

To state the obvious it is best to try the phone in the USA at the earliest to ensure it works.
Texting USA - Stuartli
I've asked the offspring how the texting between us to/from the States was possible - the reply was, as henry k mentions, by "Roaming" being Enabled and that sufficient credit was available.

"Roaming" has to be Disabled on return to the UK.
Texting USA - Altea Ego
The states is really a nothing problem. Roaming is Global - Europe, Aus, States, Far east, makes no difference I have made and received calls/texts in all of them.

My phone/plan has roaming as standard. No need to turn it off.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Texting USA - henry k
My phone/plan has roaming as standard. No need to turn it off.

I always turn mine off when back in the UK.
One less thing for a scroat to exploit if I lose the phone.
Texting USA - Stuartli
This was the first occasion on which either of us has had need to send texts whilst the offspring has been abroad (it was to keep him informed with regard to a family member's illness), so I wasn't aware of exactly how it had been arranged.

The original question from L'escargot was whether it was possible to send texts to a phone being used in the States.
Texting USA - L'escargot
Next question ~ does a text to a UK number in USA cost the same as in the UK?
--
L\'escargot.
Manually draining a mashing machine - BazzaBear {P}
Our washing machine gave up the ghost yesterday. It's getting on a bit, and we've been considering getting a more modern, energy efficient one for a while anyway, so I have no interest in fixing it.
the problem is that it has broken down while still somewhat full of water. The fault is something electrical, no power seems to be getting to the machine at all (in as much as it is possible to tell).
I got rid of enough water with the use of a squeegee mop to make it light enough to move with a bit of effort, but can anyone think of a way of getting the rest of the water out? The water level is now down to the bottom of the drum, but I reckon there's still a reasonable reservoir of water lower than that.
I've ordered the new machine from John Lewis, and they'll take away the old one, but I get the feeling they might not if it's full of water.

Thanks in advance.
Manually draining a mashing machine - bell boy
its scrap so lever the door open on the front, it will be held with a nylon fastener.
do this outside obviously
Manually draining a mashing machine - J Bonington Jagworth
If you can tip it, the bottom will usually be an open hole and there will be a rubber drain pipe to the pump (which is at a low point) Either pull this off or stab it with a knife. Return the machine to an upright position and mind shoes...
Manually draining a mashing machine - bathtub tom
The oulet hose will be at the bottom of the machine (although it may not appear so). All you have to do is syphon it out, but of course you may need to either lift the machine, or move it near an outside door to gain height.
Manually draining a mashing machine - henry k
There should not be a vast amount of water left in the sump.

There may well be a little drain pipe somewhere near the front for manual draining.
My AEG machine has a little panel with such a pipe behind it.

When you have got the machine outside you can just tip it forward onto its face and that should drain most of the water out.
Or slice though the pipe going from the sump to the pump.

I would just shut the door, tie up the normal drain hose and stop worrying about it.
Manually draining a mashing machine - adverse camber
Is there not a drain/filter on it ?

btw miele are offering a ten year parts and labour warranty on washing machines this month.
Manually draining a mashing machine - Altea Ego
The pump should have a filter to be accessed by the user, the pump/filter is usually at the lowest point.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Manually draining a mashing machine - JH
a
we've just bought a new washing machine after our 16 year old Hoover gave up the ghost. I took the same view, that at 16 it just wasn't worth fixing. So, off we went to John Lewis and - have you seen the price of Miele washing machines!? One of them comes in at £1,300. I think the bottom of the range is about £600?

We went for a "cheap" Siemens, only cost 4 times as much as my first car.

JH
Manually draining a mashing machine - BazzaBear {P}
Cheers people. Opened the back up and found the pump and drain outlet, but there was no easy way to get at it, and no way to get anything under it, so it would only have piddled out on the floor anyway.
Anyway, in opening it I also found that there's practically no sump, so having drained it to the bottom of the drum, I'm satisfied.

BTW, bought the Indesit 'moon'. Good looking, relatively cheap and some good design ideas. 5 years parts and 2 years labour with John Lewis so I'm pretty happy with that.
Manually draining a mashing machine - rtj70
If it's a washer dryer (you don't mention it) but will offer some advice just in case.

We have an Indesit and it's been fine - cheap but fine. Washed some net curtains earleir this year and this killed the washer's electronics.

Basically, too much suds generated which came through a breather hole on top of the heating matrix. These suds then went down the back and onto the electrics and killed them. New circuit board via an approved engineer paying cash got it all working again. But we're careful now.

Who'd have thought there'd be a way for a washer/dryer to break itself. But Indesit knew there were problems and would let under warranty units be fixed without question or charge.... so the cat didn't get out of the bag no doubt.

Ironically the other type of item that causes a problem is washing trainers - our indesit has a special trainer/sport-shoe washing programme! Doh.
Manually draining a mashing machine - J Bonington Jagworth
"our 16 year old Hoover"

Which does suggest that 'ordinary' washing machines will last. We bought a new Ariston about 3 years ago (to replace a 12-year old Ariston - yes I know the badge means very little) and although relatively cheap, it performs dramatically better, which rather supports the idea of buying a new one for less money more often.

You're no worse off, and you will get the benefits of evolution. We have friends with a 20-year old AEG that refuses to die - it cost more then that ours did three years ago (i.e. several times as much in real terms) but its clunky, uses lots of water and doesn't spin very well. Durable, yes - good economics, no.
Manually draining a mashing machine - Stuartli
>>miele are offering a ten year parts and labour warranty >>

Most Miele models have it as standard in any case..:-)

We have a Miele - you can drain the water off that's left (about a litre) by opening the small flap on the front bottom left of the machine; normally it should be drained off about once a week or so before replacing with a fresh litre of water via the detergent drawer.
eh?

the next wash replaces the water. why drain it?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Manually draining a mashing machine - Armitage Shanks {p}
Because

Our washing machine gave up the ghost yesterday. It's getting on a bit, and we've been considering getting a more modern, energy efficient one for a while anyway, so I have no interest in fixing it.
the problem is that it has broken down while still somewhat full of water!
It's a recommendation in the handbook to ensure that the drain filter is checked regularly for fluff or foreign objects, which will obviously need removing.

If the drain outlet is blocked, it is stated that up to 25 litres of water can/could be trapped in the machine. Adding fresh water afterwards through the detergent drawer "reactivates the ball valve which keeps detergents in circulation in the suds".
"reactivates the ball valve which keeps detergents in circulation in the suds".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Im sorry, but that appaling design. Anything that requires you to manually drain it and refill it once a week, is really stupid.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Anything that requires you to manually drain it and refill it once a week, is really stupid.>>

The small amount of water has to be drained off for the simple reason that, if you unscrewed the filter out completely first, the water would just run out onto the kitchen floor from the drain plug.

In actual fact, because it's rare to find anything in the filter, I only do it about once a month as a precaution.

It's not "stupid" design, it's a simple common sense procedure. The amount of water you replace afterwards is about two pints at most.

In fact our Miele Novamatic is a superb appliance - it's built to last and prove reliable for 15-20 years or more, rather than the built-in obsolescence of other, much cheaper brands.

"Buy cheap, buy twice" is still very true...:-)
Of course it is - its indefensible.

The fliter on my bosch has been taken out twice, and drained twice - in 10 years, I dont have to think about filling it up again afterwards either.

Its nothing like a common sense procedure. It is a rubbish design.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Manually draining a mashing machine - David Horn
I never thought I'd find myself discussing white goods but the best washing machines by far are from LG, which use a direct drive induction motor mounted on the back of the drum. They are completely silent when running, even flat out.

Long, long, long time since I've looked at a washing machine and been seriously impressed. It even makes nice chimes when you push the buttons.
>>It is a rubbish design.>>

Your own words:
The pump should have a filter to be accessed by the user, the pump/filter is usually at the lowest point.>>

That is the case with the Miele; it has a eco water saving setting, but we use the "extra water" configuration. We don't, fortunately, suffer from water shortages in our neck of the woods.

Yes but the user should not have to access it every week, and then fill it up again..

Its Ok Stuartli, you are allowed to admit mistakes, we all do it sometimes, pay over the odds and end up with a lemon.

Look at me! I ended up with a volkswagen.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes but the user should not have to access it every week, and then fill it up again.>>

You don't; it's purely an assumption on your part. The manual says after the first three or four washes from new to check the filter. After that experience will dictate how often this might be required.

As I stated, quite clearly, I do it about once a month to be on the safe side. It's been very rare for anything to be trapped in the (large) filter element over the four years we've have it to date.

I haven't paid over the odds - I got exactly what I paid for. It was supplied by my best mate, who has an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet.

He's well aware of which models to buy and not to buy for long term reliability, with the emphasis on "long term".

As for VWs, as you are aware I'm a big fan. My current Bora is nealry eight years old. It has proved first class reliability wise, as did the previous two Jettas; in other words, excellent.
Stuartli you quite clearly stated "normally it should be drained off about once a week or so before replacing with a fresh litre of water via the detergent drawer" Its in black and white, a few posts up on this page.

As I said mate, iTs really quite ok to admit its a pile of PFD, we all make mistakes. Its a bit like going to AA - the first step is to admit it you have a problem.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No I haven't made a mistake, despite my first comment re the manual (which was done from memory); I explained afterwards that you have to drain a small amount of water off in order to check the filter for possible trapped items (it's screwed out fully at a slight angle after partially opening to allow drainage). I also added that I do it about once a month as a precaution.

Perhaps having a less bombastic view of something undertaken by someone else might be in order..:-)
Perhaps Being able to see a wind up when its coming might help Stuartli!

;)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I'm too drained to even care - must be this very bad hangover...:-)
Ah yes! About your taste in Wine and spirits........
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Manually draining a mashing machine - henry k
>>As I stated, quite clearly, I do it about once a month to be on the safe side.
It's been very rare for anything to be trapped in the (large) filter element over the four years we've have it to date.

>>
Now you give us some more info which may help us understand the situation.
All the machines I have been involved with do not have a filter ELEMENT.
My current machine has a filter but is in effect a plastic basket that allows fluff to pass through but not objects like keys, biros, coins, sweet wrappers etc.
It stops any of the above getting to the impeller of the water extractor pump and so eliminates the risk of blade damage.

I would only inspect it if I had lost something or something was rattling in it.
However if your machine has a filter that can clog that is a different situation to what I suspect is the norm.
I am trying to visualise the population inspecting their filters. It just aint going to happen but machines survive for many years.
Text alerts for sold ebay items? - audiA6tdi
hi im going on holiday next week and run an ebay business
does anyone know how i can recieve text alerts (for free) when an ebay item gets sold - either through hitting my gmail account or to my 02 phone?
i know orange do a free email alert sms service but i would have to swap over to orange and ive only just joined o2! dam!

thanks
dave

{Subject header changed - DD}
Text alerts for sold ebay items? - audiA6tdi
anyone?
thanks

dave
Text alerts for sold ebay items? - Altea Ego
You need a blackberry.

What wrong with using the web browser on your phone to check your email inbox assuming it has a web based portal?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Text alerts for sold ebay items? - Welliesorter
What wrong with using the web browser on your phone to check your email inbox...

No need with GMail. There's a neat little applet that you can download to most modern mobile phones, which is far more convenient to use than the mobile version of the web site.

See www.gmail.com/app .

If your phone isn't compatible with this, GMail also allows POP3 access. A lot of phones have POP3 e-mail built in, although it would be very tedious to use for sending anything but the shortest of messages. See tinyurl.com/39xgn7

Unfortunately, all these methods involve periodic checking for messages, which may have a cost if data isn't included in your mobile package.

You don't say whether you're going abroad. If you are, mobile data charges could get very high. If that's the case, by far the easiest and cheapest option would be to check for messages at internet cafes.

Returning to SMS alerts, doesn't eBay offer that service?
Noise cancelling earphones - Happy Blue!
I'm flying a couple of times in the next few weeks and am thinking about noise cancelling earphones. I want to use them with my MP3 player for classical music.

Any comments, recommendations etc about brands, models, where to buy, etc?

Thanks
EIII
Noise cancelling earphones - BazzaBear {P}
I can't recommend a set of noise cancellers from personal experience, but I know that Sennheisers models get very good reviews, and I can certainly recommend them as a brand.
Noise cancelling earphones - henry k
try
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=51...#
Noise cancelling earphones - David Horn
www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?article=115...B

Work great, but unless you're prepared for spend £300 don't bother with noise cancelling headphones. Either use the Sony ear canal ones or simply get some foam earplugs. If you've never used the foam earplugs before, remember to warm and squash them into narrow cylinders before sliding them into your ears and letting them expand, or they won't work.

My personal choice:

a) use the headphones for daytime flight and watching movies and eating
b) use the earplugs at night
Noise cancelling earphones - Citroënian {P}
E,

If you can stretch to it, the Bose Quietcomfort 3s are still excellent. Compact and comfortable, they do the job remarkably well. They're ~£275 though.

I've just got a pair of Sennheiser CX-300s, not noise cancelling but they work like earplugs and are surprisingly effective. For £17.99, including P&P they're a steal.

www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/880672/Sen...l

-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Noise cancelling earphones - Vin {P}
I have Bose Quietcomfort2s. They do the job well, but I have nothing to compare them to. I bought them because they are country independent - you just need an AAA battery for about 12 or so hours of use. I use them on planes and on the train to London and I wouldn't be without them.

If you're going to get these, then wait till you're in the USA (assuming it's on your itinerary). They are $299 over there versus £275 in the UK. At today's exchange rate of $2.05, that's a fotrune saved.

V
Noise cancelling earphones - Happy Blue!
Thanks Lee and Vin. regretfully going east not west so cannot buy them in the USA. Will have a look though.
Noise cancelling earphones - Vin {P}
If you're heading East, take a look at Bose.com first. It'll give you access to the country of your choice's website which will have a local price. AFAIK, you'll never see discounted Bose equipment anywhere (so you'll never pay less that £275 in the UK), so it's worth a check before going wherever.

V
Noise cancelling earphones - henry k
AFAIK you'll never see discounted Bose equipment anywhere (so you'll never pay less that £275 in the UK)

>>Except at Bose at factory outlet places
www.gunwharf-quays.com/Shop_Details-146.htm
www.bicestervillage.com/Bicester/village/default.a...8

,,,,but not a lot a lot off.
Fridge freezer woes - Soupytwist
Having trouble with a fridge/freezer. The top shelf of the freezer bit gets frozen solid very quickly. Enough ice is formed in a couple of days to completely prevent any access to the top shelf without wielding some form of blunt implement to bash a way through the build up of ice. What could be causing this? Has the seal on the door gone? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
--
Soupytwist !
Fridge freezer woes - Altea Ego
Localised thick ice is usually a seal issue means outside air is getting in. could be door, or it could be the insulation has gone at that part or the inner lining is cracked /leaking
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fridge freezer woes - billy25
in an Eskimo's freezer the Seals usually go when the ice melts!!

Well tis Monday and i'm bored!
Billy

Fridge freezer woes - normd2
fact of the day:

Eskimos use freezers to stop their food getting too cold

Well tis Monday and i'm bored too
Fridge freezer woes - Altea Ego
You a salesman Normd2?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fridge freezer woes - mjm
Soupytwist,

Are the rest of the freezer shelves icing up as well, ie getting as cold as they should do?
Is the bad icing on that one shelf as far as the ice gets?
Is it a fridge/freezer or just a freezer?
Have you got a thermometer which you can drop into the freezer? (Air should be at about -20 Centigrade.)

If it is just the one shelf getting over chilled and the others are too warm then it could have developed a refrigerant gas leak.
If the rest of the freezer is still ok for "coldness" then a large amount of warm air is getting in from somewhere.(Doorseal is favorite)
Fridge freezer woes - deepwith
Top shelf? Most likely find members of your family lean on the door when surveying the contents for a snack then the hinge gets bent (or the metal piece that holds the hinge onto the actual freezer) and there is a tiny triangular gap which leads to frosting on the top shelf. Usual suspect = teenaged male of species
Fridge freezer woes - Cardew
I think you might have a fault and the compressor running constantly