Why best NOT to carry a Drivers licence? - Vansboy
Sort of following on from the ANPR thread, just wondering why the author of one of those, '101 things to do to avoid prosecution by Traffic Police' mentions NOT having your licience/docs on you, if you were to be pulled, on a roadside check.

All I can think, is that the officer would be more inclined to present you with an order to produce, at the Police station, so making it more hassle, for yourself. Unless the thought was the officer would simply, let you go. But if you've commited a minor transgression, I'd still expect a 'producer'.

DVD, one for you, perhaps!

VB

{Slight amendment to header - DD}
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - FP
I've heard it said that if your licence is less than clean, it might influence the line the officer takes.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - scotty
Many years ago, as a young(ish) motorcyclist, carrying papers always seemed to help. If plod had to fill in a producer he might as well fill in another (less benign) form as well. I'm guessing times have changed.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Armitage Shanks {p}
A person, who may not even be a policeperson, checking your licence in a police station, on a producer, is a great deal less likely to be bothered about points on your licence than a man at the road side who has pulled you over IMO. But, in these days of duff gen on the computer, carrying your insurance might save you car from being crushed, if it is in the inaccuate database as 'uninsured'
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - L'escargot
Sounds like you were asked for your "papers" fairly frequently, scotty! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Dwight Van Driver
If stopped and you are not carrying your Driving Licence and asked by the ever so polite Plod to produce it and you don't coz u karnt, then technically you commit an offence (See Section 164 Road Traffic Act, 1988)

But within that Section is a clause that it shall be a defence if you within 7 days do produce it at a designated Police Station - which is why they give you the HO/RT/1 Producer and only then if you don't produce stick one you.

Don't forget the counterpart is included .

Having had to search through pockets/wallets of deceased persons killed in Traffic Accidents persons carrying their Licence have assisted in rapid identification and bad news to NoK.

Also bear in mind no Licence when stopped, Plod checks PNC/DVLA no Licence marker shown thorugh admin error, then that could be taken as 'reasonable grounds' for suspecting No Licence and power to impound vehicle .

Mines glued in my wallet.

dvd
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Ian (Cape Town)
Locally, it is a 'must carry', on pain of a substantial fine.
Not a bad thing - IMHO.
Also works as instant ID for banking, proof of age, etc etc etc

However, not everybody thinks that way - and see it as another step towards Big Brother (Orwell, not Jade Goody).

Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - retgwte
I will not be carrying an ID card of any kind this year, next year, or any year

As far as I can see photo driving licences are just attempt at going down the road of compulsory ID for all

And I really cannot see free born Englishmen bowing down to yet another dictat from the comisars of this centralist government

There are more than enough techniques for sorting out the criminals/terrorists most of which are feebly attempted which do not require intrusions on the decent folk

Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - L'escargot
As far as I can see photo driving licences are just attempt at going down
the road of compulsory ID for all

I personally can't get at all worked up about something so trivial. If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear.
--
L\'escargot.
I haven't done anything wrong and I am not afraid. I am not going to jump thru the hoops for a bunch of control freaks who seem to want to rule our lives under laws laid down for and in other counties, among whom is one where they eat snails! You be afraid Monsieur L'escargot! Just a bit of banter for the weekend!
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Ian (Cape Town)
At the risk of going too far off topic...
I have watched and read a lot about the increase in 'identity fraud' in Britain, as well as the rise in credit card and other financial crimes.
If I wish to buy something here, and have gone over the 'floor limit' on the card or cheque, they will ask if I have any ID.
Likewise with Mrs Ian, who is of the 'previously disadvantaged' South Africans, and not too many of them get to flash gold cards about!
Out comes the drivers license.
Problem solved.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Sim-O
I personally can't get at all worked up about something so trivial. If you've done
nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear.

this chap hadn't done anything wrong: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/53390...m
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Peter D
Officers have been known to retian the licence as the scene of the alledged offence. Not Good. And it is a form of ID particularly the Photo one. Is some cases it is best not to ID ones self at all. Personally I do not carry my licence in the UK or any other car documents. Regards Peter
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - mike hannon
Driving licence and all other relevant documents have to be carried when using a vehicle in France. It's always the first thing the gendarmes ask for. Also pays to carry your ID card, which - personally - I find quite reassuring.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Bill Payer
It was certainly standard advice amongst my peers not to carry ones driving licence when I first starting driving ? the thinking was that handing it over on being stopped made it easier for the Officer to issue a NIP.

I never carried mine for years of driving company cars, but on opting out and buying my own it was pointed out to me that if I broke down away from home and needed a replacement car then I?d be stuck if I didn?t have my licence.
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Sim-O
I only carry the card part, cos then the officer is reassured I am me, cos of the photo, but doesn't get prejudiced because the, er, previous behaviour.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - Brian Tryzers
Carrying it and showing it are two different decisions. You can keep your licence in your wallet in case you actually want to show it, as in BP's example. No police officer is likely to search you if you say you haven't got it. Best of both worlds, non?
Why is best NOT to carry a drivers licie - OldHand
Most of the reasons given aboveare good reasons for not showing your licence. Also I'd advocate carrying it but not showing it.

Q "do you have your driving licence sir?"

A "I don't have it to hand at the moment"

No lies being told there if it's tucked away somewhere out of the way are there?

Another reason not to show it is that Officer Dibble can't copy your details from the licence and it thus increases the likelyhood that he will make some kind of mistake on the NIP and mess up any chance of taking it to court.

Don't make their lives any easier than you have to is the stance I would advocate.
I don't have an ID card. I find that really really reassuring! BTW what ID card to you have MH? They aren't official issue yet are they?
Why best NOT to carry a Drivers licence? - milkyjoe
i got arrested for failing to produce my licence ( copper at my front door) even though i had been to the police station 5 days previous to show them, they had no written record of my visit thus the reason for the plod at my door, eventually after i gave a discription of the desk sargeant and a rough time / date i called they made inquiries..... later they sent a letter stateting no further action would be taken ....clots ( or something very similar)
Why best NOT to carry a Drivers licence? - retgwte
I can walk a couple of hundred yards from here and find people openly selling hard drugs

a little bit further and i come across a travellers camp full of vehicles with no tax disc, and likely no insurance

i can tell you exactly who will be fighting outside the pubs this weekend cos they do it every weekend

i can take you round an estate where you and i would be the only males not carrying a knife

now why oh why do the police want to stop ordinary motorists for doing 5 mph over the limit when there are so many genuinely evil people to pick on?? cos its easy and makes the stats look good

carry my driving licence no chance

Why best NOT to carry a Drivers licence? - Roly93
now why oh why do the police want to stop ordinary motorists for doing 5
mph over the limit when there are so many genuinely evil people to pick on??
cos its easy and makes the stats look good

Here here !
I dont carry my licence around because I have some points on it, and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that Police who stop you for a minor infraction are more likely, psychologically, to write you a ticket if they can see previous convictions.
It may be a duff theory but its what I run with. I dont worry about things like impounding the vehicle or them not believing I have a licence as I drive a nearly new car which is obviously 100% legal on first glance.
Why best NOT to carry a Drivers licence? - dxp55
Scotty

Like you years ago I used to get flagged down on my Tiger 110 by beat bobby two or three time a week who wanted to see licence and insurance but one night it was tipping down so I said no ain't got em - I heard a bit of swearing under his breath and out came the official book which he filled in for me to do a produce - Yes!!!!- I thought- it causes them hassle if I ain't got it and have never carried it since - if they can be bothered to stop me they can do all the paperwork. - in all my life on road I have always had all papers.